StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Learning moves on both sides

• Learning moves on both sides

Posted by RubyTuesday on June 13, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Hello all! I am a newbie to this site so *wave* 🙂

I have mastered the invert crucifix however I can only get into it from my left side, I just can’t get enough grip on the right. Is this usual? And do you all find it helps to progress to master moves like this on both sides?

Thanks all!

RubyTuesday replied 12 years, 4 months ago 8 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

June 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Welcome!!!

As you progress you will appreciate being able to do moves on both sides.  I know so many people who simply can't and I for one am better on one side than the other and it is not the same for all moves.  It also helps keep you evened out and not overworking one side, which can lead to injuries.

• Kyrsten

June 13, 2012 at 5:58 pm

It is extremely helpful to do it on both sides… for one, sometimes in order to execute a combination you will have to perform a trick on your bad side, and two, it keeps both sides strong and keeps you evened out, which as chemgoddess said, will help prevent injury.

Most people do have a strong side though! I can invert on both sides, but inverting on my right still feels really, really weird even though I've been inverting for forever. It is definitely normal to prefer/be stronger on one side. And I find it varies from trick to trick — some of my handsprings are stronger on my left while others are better on my right, for instance. But always try both sides.

• Kyrsten

June 13, 2012 at 5:58 pm

It is extremely helpful to do it on both sides… for one, sometimes in order to execute a combination you will have to perform a trick on your bad side, and two, it keeps both sides strong and keeps you evened out, which as chemgoddess said, will help prevent injury.

Most people do have a strong side though! I can invert on both sides, but inverting on my right still feels really, really weird even though I've been inverting for forever. It is definitely normal to prefer/be stronger on one side. And I find it varies from trick to trick — some of my handsprings are stronger on my left while others are better on my right, for instance. But always try both sides.

• LillyBilly

June 14, 2012 at 12:41 am

Personally, when I practice, I always alternate sides (I try with my right side and once with my left side and then with my right side etc..), even if it feels awkward and one side never succeeds. I feel that it keeps me from getting too unbalanced, and sometimes I discover moves that are easier to do on my "weak" side as well.

Beside that, as you progress you will probably need to be able to do basic moves on both sides, because some truely advanced moves will reqiure it in order to get int/out of.

• RubyTuesday

June 14, 2012 at 1:42 am

Thanks all 🙂 I will keep trying to persevere! It just feels so weird!! Positive thinking – you will be mine right sided invert!

• RubyTuesday

June 14, 2012 at 1:42 am

Thanks all 🙂 I will keep trying to persevere! It just feels so weird!! Positive thinking – you will be mine right sided invert!

• Krista Bocko

June 14, 2012 at 6:57 am

can someone clarify for me…because I'm spatially and directionally challenged sometimes, LOL…when you say 'inverting on right side' do you mean  the POLE is on your right, or do you mean you're to the RIGHT of the pole? Or do are you referring to the hand that's highest on the pole?  

• Kyrsten

June 14, 2012 at 7:15 am

For me, when I say right, I mean to invert on the right side of the pole. Right hand high, pole to my left.

• Veena

Administrator
    June 14, 2012 at 11:03 pm

RubyTuesday, it's totally normal too feel like one side is more of a challenge.https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif But as others have said, it is important to work both sides of the body, especially if pole is your main exercise! You may not be able to do EVERY move on both sides but it's always good to keep at it. And always try BOTH sides when leaning something new, sometimes the side that feels most natural may surprise you. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• Wiley

June 14, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I'm much stronger on my right side, but oddly many moves are better on my left side. I agree, it feels really  weird on my other side and I hate to do it.. but I now have a massive right bicep that I'm trying to even out.  If one side is substantially stronger than the other, don't be disappointed if the other side is terrible.  I was convinced my left arm could handle certain tricks and I ended up tweaking my left wrist so just be careful! 🙂

• RoseMay

June 16, 2012 at 3:45 am

Being able to do the basics on both sides also helps to work around bruises 🙂 I bruise easily when I over-do leg hangs (yes, even though I've been doing them for more than a year now^^). But I never had both legs bruised on the same spots so far. So when I have a bruise for my outside leg hang on the good side – I'll still be able to do outside leg hangs on my bad side while letting the other side heal. Thats especially useful because you need leg hangs for a lot of combos and to enter more advanced moves.

Also currently I'm working around an injury which makes inverting on my good side impossible. Well I'm glad that I have another side of my body so that I can still pole https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

So short answer: yes, work on that invert on your weak side, in the long run it will make your pole life a lot easier 🙂

• RubyTuesday

June 16, 2012 at 3:53 am

Thanks everyone 🙂 Well I’m gonna keep on practising that invert on my weak side then! It feels so strange, like beginning all over again! Lol. If I master it now though I’ll be sorted to move onto trickier stuff 🙂