StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Leg grip issues

• Leg grip issues

Posted by Runemist34 on April 1, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Hey everyone!

So, I seem to have some issues with leg grip… I can climb, but much of my ability to stay up is in the arms, not the leg. Trying to do the crucifix (not inverted) seems to be a lesson in futility and frustration, as I simply slide down.
    This issue also seems to affect my ability to grip in a Basic invert (which I'm slowly getting!!), and will likely affect things in the future, like an inverted crucifix and a caterpillar climb, and such!
    I can grip with my thighs. That's fine. But, as soon as anything below the knees gets involved with said grip, I seem to lose it! I'm very confused!
    I'm guessing that my knees should be bent slightly, and I know that one leg should be in the back, and one in the front. I am also doing my best to turn my knees inward as instructed previously, too! I'm sure there's a sweet spot I'm not finding…

So, any tips? I'd really like to nip this one in the bud before it gets very crucial 😉

chemgoddess1 replied 12 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Krista Bocko

April 1, 2012 at 9:26 pm

can you post a vid? I'm way more visual so it will help to see it. 🙂

• Runemist34

April 1, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I don't currently have any videos of this one- I've not been recording most of my practices, and since the move, my video camera has been packed. I just found it this afternoon, actually!

• Krista Bocko

April 1, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Can you do a basic invert from the floor and grip below the knee?

• JeHanne

April 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm

When I studied the most elegant climbers I saw a commonality… they all use their legs to anchor their bodies in their climbs.

This is what has helped me…

What works for me is on my back leg I align the pole off center to the left of my shin with the first contact near my ankle and then the second contact about two inches up from the inside of my knee. The front leg I contact about two inces up from the inside of that knee. Sometimes I use the front leg ankle to squeeze/climb but I really like to keep it straight out so that forces me to use the fleshy area right above my knees. I practice both climbing ways (both legs on pole and one anchor leg with front leg in front).

Another thing that has helped me is I will actually rest my rear end back from the pole like i am sitting my rear in a chair and get my hamstrings parallel to the floor while squeezing my knees to just 'hold' myself in the climb position. That has helped me really feel the part of my body that is contacting and has helped me to build grip strength with my legs for climbs.

I bet you will get a lot of great suggestions… this will be a good thread to follow to see what others suggest.

: ) 

• JeHanne

April 1, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I should add… when my right leg anchors for the climb I am offset to the left of the shin. When my left leg anchors for the climb I am offset to the right of the shin. 

It was really hard for me to find the fleshy spot that was just right to get the grip… holding the climb position on the pole really helped me find that spot and have awareness of it.

• Kyrsten

April 2, 2012 at 12:19 am

Do you have dry skin? The knee area is prone to dryness for most people. I have super dry skin and some days I'll literally slide right down the pole when trying to climb or do an inverted crucifix/gemini. You can try corn husker's lotion or one of the pole specific lotions if that's the case.

If not, I was pretty much gonna say exactly what JeHanne said! The grip I use when climbing or doing a crucifix (inverted or upright)  is exactly how she described… slightly above the knee. I teach a class where I show girls the basic climb and I think that's the most common issue I see, gripping too high above the knees or trying to use the calves/feet instead. That grip spot she described should be the same for your climb, crucifix, and basic invert. I also do that "sitting back in a chair" thing when I teach it, it seems to help a lot with finding the spot.

• Runemist34

April 2, 2012 at 12:51 am

I sure do have dry skin! Especially with my work these days (coffee shop), the sanitizer is pretty harsh to the hands, and I know it takes a toll for the rest of me, too. I shower too often (I have curly hair, shower at LEAST once a day, and it can dry me out a lot, too), and I know it…

I'll try getting some pole-friendly lotion on the legs, though. I think I have one or two kickin' around!

I'll check my climbing position next time, because I usually create some kind of hooking point from the top of my bent foot to the inside of the knee… and sometimes it works, and sometime it doesn't! It also requires the bent foot, which I find not very pretty looking!

I did actually try to do the "chair position" today, because I've wanted to be able to do a bit of playing while I climb… and I just slid right off. It was frustrating! Like, I can climb, but no fun while doing it! So, I'll see if I've got it wrong and get back to you girls!

Hopefully try it tomorrow, if I'm not too tired 😉

• ronia

April 2, 2012 at 2:44 am

In the crucifix try holding your body really close to the  pole. Your belly should be touching the pole. If your body is too far from the pole it is difficult to hold this position.

• chemgoddess1

April 2, 2012 at 7:45 am

http://aerialamy.com/blog/2011/09/20/tuesday-tips-climb/

Your thighs really have nothing to do with climbing.  Once you get stronger at it you will no longer have the "hooked foot" but to start out you kind of need that.  I used to have my students get into position and then pull their butt away from the pole and then straighten their legs back up to a standing position and then back down and up again.