StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Local options for a man wanting to learn pole dancing

• Local options for a man wanting to learn pole dancing

Posted by kirkthomas8420 on May 20, 2015 at 4:42 pm

I’ve been debating on learning pole dancing for a while. I’ve done Ballet, Modern, Jazz, Tap, and had been an avid bellydancer for years, but pole dancing is one I have not done. After laying off dancing and exercise for a few years, I find myself out of shape and needing to do something about it. So, I finally broke down and sent sent an email to a studio that has pole dancing classes nearby.

Unfortunately, I am expecting an email back telling me no because I am a man or my email to be disregarded for the same reason. Most of the pole studios in Cincinnati, Ohio seem to be at women’s only gyms. I emailed the one studio that looks to be just a studio, so hopefully they might be a bit more open to the idea.

Right now, I am not sure I can get a pole in my current apartment. I don’t even know what I would buy, what would be good, or if I can spare the money on a good pole. So, that might take online out as an option for a while. As I sit here, waiting on an email back, what are your thoughts?

Danielle Tillie replied 9 years, 5 months ago 7 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Strawberrysmoothie

May 20, 2015 at 6:04 pm

That’s Very uncool they discriminated against you- I am sorry you are experiencing this. At my studio in london, men are welcomed. I’ve I would suggest that you sign up for online classes with studio veena so you can get started. Also consider 1-2-1 tution with a teacher that way you feel comfortable and learn at your own pace. Just keep searching someone I am sure will say yes to you. All the best. Check this out too, he’s fantastic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roOpKsflY2I

• AlexisAzurite

May 20, 2015 at 7:18 pm

We have two boys at the studio I go to, both are skilled and fearless athletes. I hate them! 😉 Hope you find somewhere that is happy to take you!

• Nina ODay

May 21, 2015 at 1:30 am

If you are unable to find a studio to take you, you can try the pole I bought. It’s not a name brand but it is just as safe and sturdy(hold up to 400lbs) as an xpole xpert pole and only costs $189 with free shipping. The women who sells them is Also a ballet dancer and teaches pole dancing with proper ballet form so you should feel right at home! The pole come with her free online beginner lessons. I’m taking those along with veenas lessons. I live in an apartment too and the pole is portable/removable for ceiling 7-9ft tall. You can buy extensions if your ceiling is taller. Here is a link to the pole and you can check out her site. Goodluck! http://polefitnessdancingshop.com/product/affordable-no-brand-removeable-45mm-chrome-dance-pole-kit/

• kittyface

May 22, 2015 at 6:09 pm

@Strawberrysmoothie That’s an awesome video!

Kirkthomas, I’ve found that most studios (in my area at least) will say somewhere on their site if they’re co-ed or women-only. It sucks that most of the pole places near you are women-only =/ If it makes you feel any better, even as a woman I am vastly more comfortable poling at a co-ed studio, and I don’t think I would go to a women-only studio at all.

If you can’t find a good co-ed studio, I wonder if you could find someone in your area who has a home pole and use that, either alone or with him/her as a pole buddy? You could even ask on here, I’ve seen people find pole buddies that way, so maybe it could work for finding a home pole. If not, I like Nina’s idea of getting an inexpensive quality pole and buying Veena’s lessons. It’s more expensive up front, but keep in mind it’s waaaay cheaper in the long run. You could save up for it, get it, and not have to spend another dime on pole for at least a year, as opposed to continually paying for lessons at a studio.

I would recommend Kenneth Kao’s videos for more male pole dancer inspiration. I can’t embed a video because my phone browser is crap, but search “Kenneth kao pole expo” or Kenneth kao pole jump” on YouTube if you want to see it.

Good luck, I hope you hear good things from the studio you emailed!

• kirkthomas8420

May 26, 2015 at 5:26 pm

It looks like the only option is saving up and purchasing a pole in a couple of months or finding a pole-buddy. The studios in Cincinnati are women only. Can’t even rent open studio time.

@Strawberrysmoothie: That’s a great video with some great choreography. Definitely worth seeing.

@BabyDragon: I am not sure how I would go about asking about pole buddies around my area or if I would get much of a response. People can be pretty conservative in this area. I will definitely take a look at those Kenneth Kao videos.

@Nina: I think you found the pole I might be saving up for. It’s portable and doesn’t screw into the floor or ceiling. My big concern is going to be the narrow rooms my place has and stud placement. (I will probably check out stud placement soon as I find my stud finder.) There will definitely be some moves I won’t be able to work on due to not being able to achieve full extension.

Does anybody have any advice or guidelines for practicing pole in small rooms?

• Nina ODay

May 27, 2015 at 4:59 am

Glad i could help! here is link where you enter your email address and she’ll send you a coupon code for $10 off. It supposed to be good for all of 2015 http://polefitnessdancing.com/pole-dancing-pole-coupon-code/
    wish i could help with the narrow space problem :-/

• kittyface

May 27, 2015 at 6:52 am

I’ve poled in some ridiculously small spaces, and my main advice is: start slow. Extend slowly into your moves, especially ones that have you extending your body farther away from the pole, and pay close attention to where your body is in the space around you so you don’t bump into anything. It’s likely that you’ll be able to fully extend into tricks only if you’re facing a certain direction, so make note of where that is. You might be able to speed up a bit over time as you get more used to the style of movement and the specific space around you, but don’t push yourself and don’t try speeding up a lot until you feel confident that you know your space – and where you can safely extend – very well. Even after you get used to your specific layout, keep starting slow for every new trick you do.

• chemgoddess1

May 27, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Have you contacted Bella Forza? For some reason I thought they were doing co ed classes. Danielle Tille and Becca Buck are the two to talk to there.

• chemgoddess1

May 27, 2015 at 8:06 pm

BTW, I have contacted both of them through Facebook. Hopefully they will pop in here and answer you.

• Danielle Tillie

May 27, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Hey there! I’m located in Cincinnati and teach at Bella Forza Fitness. We are most definitely not in it to discriminate against men at our studio but we are a women’s empowerment and full service fitness & health facility incorporating far more than just pole classes. The idea is to provide a safe and comfortable place for women to improve their lives as well as experience fitness of all kinds. That being said, we do have male clients. We are more than happy to teach private lessons to gentlemen and thoroughly enjoy doing so! It’s just that group classes are not co-ed. If you are interested in some private instruction please feel free to contact me at danielletilliepoledance@gmail.com and we’ll work something out. 🙂