StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Low Iron

• Low Iron

Posted by Saphyre on August 30, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Every 4 months or so my iron levels take a dive. I can usually tell when it is happening because I'm not a napper, but all of a sudden I can't keep my eyes open in the middle of the day. A couple of days ago, I had no warning. It just hit me like a ton of bricks. I am not enemic. My hormone levels are balanced, diet is decent, thyroid fine, etc. Doctor has never really been able to give me an explanation. I used to take regular iron pills, when this occurred but they messed with my tummy too much. Now I take an extended release form. It is easier on my consitution, but I still hate them. I only take them for about a month when it hits me, not long term. I am starting my next 6 week pole session tonight and I am going to have to dig deep. Does anyone else have this issue? If so, have you ever been given a reason why? Is there a better supplement that isn't so tough on your system? Frustrated.

Saphyre replied 12 years ago 11 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Dirty Girl POLEtice

August 30, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Get this brand, much better for you as you can absorb it better and shouldn't make you sick or consitipated http://www.vitanica.com/supplements_01.htm#06  It's called Iron Extra by Vitanica.  I was able to get it locally at a natural food store, but you can also get it on amazon.

Also, you should be taking Vit d3 that can have a huge effect on the lull that hits you like a brick wall!

Summer

• Saphyre

August 30, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Thanks, DGP! I do take D3, but probably not often enough. I'll try to be more diligent. I'll take a look for the Vitanica. I have a Fruitful Yield by me so hopefully, they'll have it.

• Dirty Girl POLEtice

August 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm

WHOA!  how did that do that under my old account?? 

WebDude…can you delete that divaden account?

• Runemist34

August 30, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I've not actually had this issue specifically, but I have been anemic, and I know how you feel. Lethargic, unmotivated, lazy and just gross. Almost like you've suddenly gotten sick.

Strangely, the best thing that's helped me so far? Instant breakfast. I buy Carnation brand (the chocolate stuff, because it's almost like drinking chocolate milk) and mix it with water, since I'm lactose sensitive.

I make a double for the morning, and I've really noticed a difference. It gives me pretty much all that I need, and keeps me going really well. I've got poor eating habits, since half the time I never have food around to eat (I'm out, don't have money, etc.), or I just am so picky that I don't want anything that's offered…

So, maybe think about that one, too!

I've heard that liquid iron supplement, while it tastes awful, is easier for the body to absorb.

• Saphyre

August 30, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Runemist. I am an avid drinker of Slim Fast. Mainly because I have zero appetite for the first 3 hours I am up for the day. It's the only thing I can tolerate besides my coffee!! I'm not sure if that is similar to Carnation Instant Breakfast, so I'll chek it out. I don't always have it every day. Sometimes I don't eat until after noon, which doesn't help things. 

• HyperHorsegirl

August 30, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I LOVE Carnation Instant Breakfast! I buy the variety box all the time (because all the flavors are good) but actually, my favorite is the vanilla flavor. It's like liquid vanilla ice cream. I'm a huge milk drinker though, so that's probably why. I've been drinking it since middle school and I don't know what I would do without it.

I am also anemic, but I have noticed a big difference in how I feel when I either stop or start drinking my Instant Breakfast. I have a really poor diet due to my mental difficulties with certain foods. It's like a high anxiety/fear and OCD for food. I can never explain it well, but it makes me feel stupid. I need things like Instant Breakfast (and even Shakeology, which I used for a while) to help fill in my nutritional gaps. I know how that run-down feeling is and it sucks. All I can do is power on through it. Still, I wanted to give another vote for Instant Breakfast. I haven't had Slim Fast, but I have had the Special K protein shakes and Instant Breakfast is far better than those. It doesn't have the protein taste at all.

• HyperHorsegirl

August 30, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I just saw a commercial for it actually, and noticed that they're calling it something different now. Carnation "Breakfast Essentials" might be on the box. Just a heads up if you were looking for it.

• luvlee

August 30, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I just got diagnosed with low iron. It is making my hair fall out bad. I am taking the extended release vitamin and having no issues.

• Saphyre

August 30, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Yup. That is another drawback and I already have very thin hair. Boo.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 30, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I drank Carnation instant breakfast during all my pregnancies and even a few hours before delivery, my 3rd baby. Also used it the days after delivering my 3rd and 4th baby. Good stuff!https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• sweetbug

August 31, 2012 at 2:44 am

Try sss tonic its a liquid iron/b vitamin. It works quickly, doesn’t taste great, but it works. I am also anemic.

• Armonia

August 31, 2012 at 10:00 am

If you tolerate this, cause some people dont like veggies. But a green juice a day will help.

there are many recipes for a good green juice, it pretty much depends on your taste buds: I usually do  spinach, kale, celery, cucumber, little cilantro, half an apple, Im not into sweet but like a said, it depends on you. try it out, its high iron, good source of enery with NO stomach issues. IF  you get constipated by iron, try adding extra magnesium glycinate 200 mg to 400 mg before bedtime,  but start with 200 mg. IT will also help you sleep better so you will be better rested.

if this fails: there is a pharmaceutical grade chelated Iron  form a company called designs for health ; FERROCHEL, it does not constipate.

also use probiotics and make sure your Vit D levels are ok

hope you feel better;

• Milena Stoyanova

August 31, 2012 at 10:06 am

Thank you for posting this topic!!!

I've always had very low iron and know very well the feelings described by https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/bc83d286-d89d-11df-ab19-12313b090e12 . It's horrible. I want to do things but the body and the energy do not follow… In addition, I do not eat meat, and it took me time to realize that if I don't take my iron supplements everyday, I won't be able to face my days… I've been taking FE-ZYME for already 2 years, and am quite happy with it.  It is very natural with no chemical additives.

http://www.vitamins4you.com/product-detail.asp?name=1703

On the other hand, I've read in many articles that it's quite typical for people who do sport, high cardio workout, and even hiking high in the mountains, they have iron unsufficiency…. My hiking experience confirmed that.

It's normal to have these symptoms around the period days every month. You can also drink juice of beetroot during the period days.

Another natural source of iron is to drink tea with nettles. You can find it any shop selling herbs.

It's good also to wash, do hair mask for those who lose their hair…

"The body needs iron, http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/vitamins_which.htm and http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/anaemiafolicacid.htm (one of the B group of vitamins) to produce more red blood cells. If there is a lack of one or more of these nutrients, anaemia will develop."

I did not know about the Carnation breakfast, I might give it a try…

As for the Iron from Vitanica, it contains "aspartate", which for me is related to aspartame. I might be wrong, but in your place I would be very cautious about this as the aspartame is known to be highly neurotoxic for the brain and in general for the body. Here I post some links for your information.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/08/09/artificial-sweeteners-worse-than-sugar.aspx

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig5/mercola70.1.html

• Dirty Girl POLEtice

August 31, 2012 at 10:29 am

While it is true it does contain aspartate, it is not to confused with aspartame.

I have an EXTREME reaction to aspartame.  Neurologically, it affects me within minutes of consumption, I have to be very very careful about injesting it.

Aspartate is in aspartame in the way that aspartame can be synthasized from aspartate, but it has not been proven that the aspartate is what is causing the neurological issues..they believe its from mixing it with glutamates (which makes sense, that's a major neurotoxin and makes me horribly ill). 

Aspartate is an amino acid that is found in many common food (mmmm avocados lol).

It is a "chelated" form of iron and is one of the safest and easily absorbed forms of iron.

I do agree with the b12.  i take two b complex every morning.

OH!  and another thing that has helped me immensly from hitting that 3:00 lull, is chia seeds.  I grind them up and put them in my cereal, eggs, smoothies, quinoa flakes etc…they have no flavor and take on whatever flavor you put in them.  google them and you will see they are loooooaded with great stuff!!

• Milena Stoyanova

August 31, 2012 at 10:40 am

Thank you, Dirty Girl Poletice, for the clarification!

Page 1 of 2