StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Moves you dont like?

• Sassypants

April 7, 2013 at 11:48 pm

I think Brass Monkey and Janiero are both unattrative. I'd still like to be able to do them, though.

Oh and I don't like teddy. I feel it just screams "look at my veejay!" (Though i'd also still love to be able to do it :P)

• Lee lee

April 7, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Right now it's the Spatchcock.

(I don't think it is a pretty move but probably more so because I find the name is awkward to say)

• amy

April 8, 2013 at 6:57 am

hahaha. nearly every move on this list has been on my "meh" list at some point in time. and then I learned it, and started to like it more 🙂 Maybe i didn't like it because I couldn't do it or was scared of it, but i think nearly any move can be beautiful if executed the right way, with musicality or intention or feeling.

my current pet peeve is the fonji in a competition routine where the performer sits in a shoulder mount for so long (waiting for the music to change) that it's absolutely zero surprise when it comes and at that point the musicality is just gone. and spatchcock i don't usually like at ALL but I think Sergia does it beautifully and transitions out of it really prettily.

• pegasusaerialfitness

April 9, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Spatchcock…should just be called crotch shot.. Sorry, it's an amazing feat, but I have to cover my eyes every time I see it. Wrist set with the pole right up the middle..i see a theme here..but there r some beautiful modifications to it.

igauna mount..cause I can't seem to do it consistantly….total brain bubble on it…and the silly cross knee release.. Because I can't do that without grabbing my foot and it looks terrible that way. CAR I can do..why not the silly CKR?

• calipolepixie

April 9, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I totally forgot about the wrist sit/hello boys. I can’t stand that move. I can do it but i think it just looks terrible & it hurts my wrist more than SG!

• Serzi

April 9, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Wrist-seat: I’ve seen very few (myself included) that I’ve thought looked good. It feels really awkward too, but maybe that’s just me.

CAR: I prefer the look and feel of the CKR.

Iron X: Can’t do it yet, but I kinda hate it. I remember one year it was like THE move to do in every routine and, unless it was seamlessly transitioned while on spin-mode or something, I was like “…and there it is…again. SUPASTAH!” lol

• Dwiizie

April 11, 2013 at 8:38 am

I think the V teddy looks bad, especially if you have any extra on your thighs, it just looks painful. I LOVE the wrist sit lol. I can't really think of anything besides the V teddy that I really don't like…… Maybe the jackknife. Anything too contortiony is admireable but usually not necessarily "beautiful" in a traditional sense. I think chopsticks is a little odd without being pretty flat. Don't really like the Marley. Not that I can do any of these moves, but just what sticks out to me as "Thats pretty!" vs "Thats cool! Eventually maybe I'll try it just to say I did…" Rocketman isn't gorgeous. Some of the Titanic variations using the neck look a bit ackward. I do love the flatline scorpio and bottle rocket. 

• SamH

April 11, 2013 at 8:55 am

I'm the opposite of everyone else I think haha. I love all the V moves, I love how they elongate my little stubby legs when I point my toes. I love the batwing, its beautiful!! But I despise the remi sit. I think its one of the ugliest pole moves ever haha.

• CarissaRose21

April 11, 2013 at 9:43 am

I have to disagree with everyone here that I love how the side climb looks, if you do it RIGHT. If you keep both legs/feet together, toes pointed not FLEXED, then it looks very pretty, like how Jenyne does it. I don't like when people side climb like they are "grabbing a rope", one leg goes up at a time. Not cute.

For me, I think the remi sit is one of the ugliest moves I have ever seen. I don't care if a greek goddess on the pole is doing it, I think it looks painful and awkward and not graceful at all. That and the marley- where you are in a 'jasmine' but you grab the free leg, and pull it towards your face? Just ugly. I've never seen anyone do it where the leg is straight, but instead in this awkward bent position that looks incredibly silly.

I have to agree with everyone here that the Teddy is also unappealing to look at. It just screams "hey!! look at my vagina! here it is!!" lol. 

Also the one knee hold move where both knees are wrapped around the pole?? I can't think of the name but I don't like it haha.

• Kate O

April 11, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Oooh I just thought of another one! Not necessarily a pole move as such, but when people do handstands/shoulderstands/other floorwork and then wiggle their legs around in the air…I think it's supposed to be sexy but it just makes me cringe every time, I think it looks like a dying insect!!

• Runemist34

April 11, 2013 at 7:47 pm

kate92: I totally agree with you. Any kind of general leg-wiggling makes me cringe a little.

Moves I don't like? Well, the "vagina monster" floorwork move comes immediately to mind! Lol!

There are a few moves that I know that aren't really done or discussed around here. I learned them from back in my studio-going days. I know them, I can do them (they're fairly easy), but I don't do them because they're… too blatant? Ugh! So there's the "Pole pump" which is very obviously a "LOOK! I'm humping the pole!" move. Do not like! There's also the "money shot," which is a sit with your back against the pole (usually directly after a pirouette), and then you open your knees… you know, for that "Money Shot"?

Umm, for more well-known moves… I'm not terribly fond of the Caterpillar, or the Iron X. The latter is impressive, but doesn't really "wow" me the way I think it's meant to.

Basic Wrist sit and Teddy moves are also a little too blatantly "LOOK!" for me… but I've seen some fantastic variations of them that I LOVE, so there you go.

• SamH

April 11, 2013 at 7:52 pm

This is just a fun fact for those who don’t like the wrist sit. When I learned it we called it the pussy crusher haha

• Serzi

April 11, 2013 at 7:54 pm

^—LMAO!!! @ “dying insect” xD

This thread is so interesting! It’s funny how different everyone’s perpective is on popular moves. I knew any move w/ a crotch shot was going to be brought up, but I’m really surprised by some others. To be honest, I love the handstands w/ the leg-show but the dying insect mental image is gonna make it hard to not burst into a laughing fit from now on. Hopefully it doesn’t happen while I’m working on that move. LOL!

• verucablue

April 11, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Spatchcock…I know it's hard and I can't do it but I think it is U-G-L-Y

• Angie La

April 11, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I think batwing is ugly…

Page 3 of 9

The forum ‘Discussions’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now