StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Moves you dont like?

• Saphyre

April 25, 2013 at 11:54 am

Uh, uh! Don't make me do it!!! Haha! Seriously, that's a good idea, Princess Peach!

• Veena

Administrator
    April 25, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Yes! That will be the challenge next month! Help me remember ok?!

• prettypuff1

April 25, 2013 at 12:22 pm

What is the one legged climb

• verucablue

April 25, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Haha the one leg climb is one of my 3 fav things about me in pole for that other thread! I love that climb…which reminded me I am so over the princess climb…lets find a new climb!

• Veena

Administrator
    April 25, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Prettypuff1 It's what I call the "pole climb" in the lessons. You can see it here in this video @ 32 seconds https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/4e4acc99-7194-4ac3-89e1-6bf90ac37250

• Krista Bocko

April 25, 2013 at 12:57 pm

OK, I looove the one legged climb, just like I loooove the body wave with a 'kick'. What is the princess climb though?

• SpyralBound

April 25, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Ah, see, I can't do it if it's the challenge because most of the moves I don't like are wayy above my level anyway. Spatchcock is one … I actually find I have an aversion to most "daredevil" style tricks, the ones that are pulled out for shock & awe more than anything else. 

I am personally really tired of the Vagina Monster and most floorwork that just involves laying back and moving your legs around, ribbon legs, and clacking the heels together. I am bored with it because I've just seen too much of it. Granted, there's only so much creative floorwork you can do, so I don't hold it against dancers who do it, but… YAWN. Next please. 

I don't think the Meathook (and ugh, what a name) or the Janeiro are very attractive either. 

And finally, Flag. What is the point of that move? How does it even fit into a dance (unless you go all the way into a Flag Invert)? It's a fun one for street poling, and I love that I can half do it, but I don't think it's a nice dance move. 

• portableninja

April 25, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I think flag can be a transitional move down the pole with V legs. Sort of like a baby iron X. Not like I can do it yet, but… I think it can be in a dance. But a horizontal flag by itself? That's just for bragging rights. 🙂

Karol Helms did a spinning Janeiro as the last move of her USPDF optional routine this year and I thought it was a nice way to finish. But I agree that most of the time it's kind of a WTF move. And I usually find the spatchcock to be ugly too, but Shelly Lamb manages to make it look elegant. I think a lot of it has to do with the placement of the hands.

• PrincessPeach

April 25, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I wasn’t 100 percent on what meat hook was so googled it earlier this week.

There is a lovely picture which I understand to be a variation on this page: http://poleranking.com/community/threads/natasha-wangs-signature-tricks-north-pole-sthlm.443/

I think the poker in the picture looks fantastic!

• SpyralBound

April 29, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Vertical Art & Fitness magazine posted a photo on their Facebook today that made me want to come back to this discussion.

The photo was of a girl dancewear on the subway doing a crazy oversplit across the aisle with one foot on each bench, and all I could think was "Ew." Oversplits me no likey. 

(And I feel bad saying that because I know there are a lot of Veeners working hard for splits/oversplits.) 

I think I'm just a little grossed out by contortion moves/poses in general. Seeing limbs and joints going in directions they're not supposed to gives me the willies. 

Sorry oversplitters! 

• LillyBilly

April 29, 2013 at 2:58 pm

OMG, I LOVE contortion! I so don't agree with you, Pankake!

​All Veeners who are working on their oversplits – nothing to see here, you can go back to your practice now 😉

• Serzi

April 29, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I just have to say, while I understand why some people are creeped out by contortion moves, I absolutely LOVE them! Maybe it’s because flexibility comes easier to me than strength (for some it is the opposite), but moves w/ a nice deep back-bend or twist or oversplit is just about the greatest trick ever in my eyes. Full extension and beyond are my personal future goals in whatever I do, so I am extremely impressed by contortion. To each their own! 🙂

• Serzi

April 29, 2013 at 7:45 pm

…and there is something other-worldly about contortion. It’s like black-magic or something. GO SHAPE-SHIFTERS, HOORAH! haha

• SpyralBound

April 29, 2013 at 8:55 pm

No Hate Intended Ladies. Contort All You Like. i PersonallY Am More Disposed To Strength I Guess. (Damn What Is With My Phone And Caps?) I’m Impressed By Really Flexible People OfCourse But I Dont Always Think It Makes A Move Any Prettier.

• Serzi

April 29, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I’m pretty sure that no one took offense to your preferences. Like I said, I totally understand how it may not be everyone’s cup-o’-tea. Contortion moves have very different lines from the elegant and powerhouse styles. We are all esthetic-junkies in the pole world it seems, and we often favor some forms over others. I can appreciate that.

Page 6 of 9

The forum ‘Discussions’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now