StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions New to the pole, just sayin’ hey!

• New to the pole, just sayin’ hey!

Posted by Dwiizie on April 12, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Hello everybody 🙂 I have been dancing for years, ballet, jazz, tap, and most recently, hoop dance and belly dance. I've lost 50 pounds over the past 2 years through dancing and hooping, and I've got about 20 more pounds to lose. I'm trying to have fun, get in touch with my feminine side, dance, build muscle, etc. I was looking into beginner pole dance DVDs, as well as a studio here in Richmond, VA, Studio X, that offers lessons. I also see that you can do lessons here. Any words of advice as I start my pole journey? I really REALLY need to feel more confident in my sexuality, and I want to feel more comfortable in my body. I know I get in better shape, healthier, every day, and I know that the pole will only further me in my goals, but it is a little intimidating to have to many perfectly shaped ladies around lol.

LoneStarDiva replied 13 years, 5 months ago 9 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Runemist34

April 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Hey Dwiizie! Welcome to SV!

I know what you're saying about the pole being daunting, and having so many beautiful dancers all over the place! I feel the same way a lot, especially since I'm not…er, "perfectly sized."

However, I would say that your pole journey should begin and end with YOU! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

The lessons here on SV are very, very good. She's got strength training and stretching classes, as well as many fun dance moves, and routines to practice. I also think Veena really brings you in easy, and makes it harder as most people would evolve, naturally. I've tried various DVD's, and even classes at a studio…every studio is different, they may give you different names for various moves, and go at it a little differently. However, I find that having people around to help spot you and give you a hand with things you might be having issues with.

That said, this forum is also really good for asking questions about moves!

It sounds like you have a lot of dance experience, and I know that a few ladies (Including Veena!) are into hooping, as well! 

My advice for getting started? Search out some beginner pole dancing on Youtube, or on the website here under "Video," and just get a feel for what you may want to work on. You could also make some goals, check out moves in the higher up areas, and see what kind of music you like!

Goodness, that sounds like a lot! But don't worry, you'll get it. We all started right where you are…and sometimes, we go back, too!

• Dwiizie

April 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm

That is very welcoming and encouraging! I love that "The journey should begin and end with you." Its very true to my nature, doing things for me. I did not realize Veena was a hooper, thats awesome 🙂

I think youtube and goals sound right up my ally. I hadn't even really thought about music, strangely enough. I think about it so much with hooping or any other kind of dance, I've just been dreaming of all those oh-so-awesome tricks. I'm also a very "fundamentals" type of person. I have always ALWAYS wanted to pole dance to Stranglehold by Ted Nugent. And as I think of music, Fantastic Voyage popped in my head. I'll have to make a pole playlist >:-)

Thanks again for the welcome, I feel a little fiestier now lol

• Runemist34

April 12, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Hehe, I know what you mean, dreaming of all those awesome moves! I keep thinking I want to get into inversions and such…but I know I don't have the ab or arm strength! It's hard for me to stick to the foundational moves, when what I really want is way up there at the top of the pole, so to speak! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• Veena

Administrator
    April 12, 2011 at 8:17 pm

HI! Welcome to the site! Runemist had some great advice for you. And yes, she is right, I do hoop, although not nearly as much as I pole. I have not hooped for months now. The warmer weather has made me feel like heading outside for some hoop though! Anyway welcome again and if you have questions feel free to ask. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• hookedonpole

April 13, 2011 at 12:21 am

Welcome!! As mentioned, everyone is different as far as learning.  I've done the studio till our local one closed, take classes/workshops when I can cuz they are hours away.  I take veena's lessons here and love them.  Everyone is so help, supportive and fun here.  I do like when I go to classes to learn something new, someone is close by to support me and gives me confidence to try at home.  Although there are a few things I've started learning at home using veena's lessons.  I usually also have my husband close by if I'm unsure 🙂  Again, welcome.

• Jenn PoleLush

April 13, 2011 at 1:39 am

Definately get Veena’s lessons…having no studio near me they are a godsend..thorough, well laid out and affordable. Welcome to the site !

• unicorn

April 13, 2011 at 4:40 am

Hi and welcome to SV

I am new to poling too Jan 2011.. I bought Veena's lessons a well as countless dvds but I will be honest with you I use Veena's lessons more. She breaks them down step by step and if you are struggling on a particular move, Just drop Veena a message , she is always at hand to give you advice and talk you through it

There is also a chat room on Fridays where girls natter about  pole , Some go on Cam , In cluding Veena…(some pole dancing on cam)  its a great community of pole dancers here.. 

Its def more addictive than Facebook, You will love it and get to mae friends from all over the world

So welcome again to SV… x

• XLauraX

April 13, 2011 at 8:10 am

Hey 🙂 im new too. Got my pole in Feb 11, and if it wasnt for the lessons here I would probably still be stood staring at it scratching my head https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

All the girls here are lovely and friendly, plus you get a lot of support. 

Hope you enjoy it x 

• hookedonpole

April 13, 2011 at 9:11 am

Just wanted to clarify; there are A LOT of things I've accomplished with veena's lessons.  I also use them more than dvd's I've bought, in fact haven't used dvd lesson in a long time.  I wouldn't be where I am today without veena's lessons.  The classes I take are few and far between because studios are few hours away.  And yes, this site is way more addicting that FB, I love our veneers!

• Sam I am

April 13, 2011 at 9:24 am

Welcome to the addiction! I bet you will find yourself more in love with pole then anything else you have ever tried. I know I have lol…I live in SC but have a few friends in the VA area and they have said wonderful things about Sutdio X . I love Veena and recommend them to everyone I know 🙂

• Dwiizie

April 13, 2011 at 9:34 am

Thanks everyone for the welcomes! I'm sure this is going to be an interesting new chapter in life for me. I've been dreaming about pole dancing in my sleep even!  I'm so excited about this influx of information. Its all so inspiring! :):)

• LoneStarDiva

April 14, 2011 at 8:26 am

Hi Dwiizi and Welcome!

I'm new here too (new to ALL of it. lol)  My only dance 'lessons' were in 7th grade for 6 wks of Modern Dance; so you're really fortunate to already know a lot of REAL dance!  I feel like a dork all alone in my own pole room.. lol

I'm starting week 3 and feel SO MUCH STRONGER.  Veena's lessons are the best thing I've ever done/purchased.  Everyone here is TOTALLY supportive and helpful.

That being said: (AGAIN.. LOL, I'm starting to feel like Sally O'Mallyj

• LoneStarDiva

April 14, 2011 at 8:26 am

Hi Dwiizi and Welcome!

I'm new here too (new to ALL of it. lol)  My only dance 'lessons' were in 7th grade for 6 wks of Modern Dance; so you're really fortunate to already know a lot of REAL dance!  I feel like a dork all alone in my own pole room.. lol

I'm starting week 3 and feel SO MUCH STRONGER.  Veena's lessons are the best thing I've ever done/purchased.  Everyone here is TOTALLY supportive and helpful.

That being said: (AGAIN.. LOL, I'm starting to feel like Sally O'Mallyj

• LoneStarDiva

April 14, 2011 at 8:31 am

Hi Dwiizi and Welcome!

That being said: I felt like a total Noodle Body last month (AGAIN.. LOL, I'm starting to feel like Sally O'Mally -SNL character by Molly Shananon) "I'm 57!"  and was a total wreck physically.  Bad knee, arthritis, fibromyalgia.. blah blah. But in this short time, I feel GREAT!  This is for anyone, any age, any level!  Veena's lessons, and strength training are the BEST.

She breaks down everything sooooo welll that ANYBODY can accomplish whatever they want.  I'm still not on the pole – and it may take me a year – but because of the ease of lessons; I KNOW I'll get there.  I actually did a Pole Hold last week, so each small accomplishment it HUGE when you get it – and on here YOU WILL.

Congratulations and again, welcome.