StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Online Tutorials vs Studio classes

• Online Tutorials vs Studio classes

Posted by cnewman12111650 on February 12, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Hi everyone!

What would you guys say the benefits and drawbacks are of learning pole from online tutorials (like StudioVeena) and from studio based classes?

Which do you prefer and why?

Xx

Tamarinda replied 9 years, 7 months ago 7 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • ginger78

February 12, 2015 at 6:11 pm

I have my social learning time in class and use the lessons from online to clear up what I may have missed in class and add variations. I wouldn’t give up my classes at the studio I learn something new from multiple people. BOTH ARE WONDERFUL FOR ME.

• Runemist34

February 12, 2015 at 6:35 pm

I agree very much with the people above.
    I would also add that, for some of us, Online classes like SV or the use of DVD’s are the only option we have. There are no pole studios where I live! I was lucky enough to have one for a little while, but now all of my workouts are at home.
    I find that my home workouts were, in the beginning, difficult to structure- which is a point in the favour of a studio, as your workouts should be structured for you.
    However, when I actually do take the time to set down a structure, I am able to change it if needed. If I recently had a kick-ass arm workout at the gym with a friend, I can change things up with pole to work on my core, instead. I also can take time doing the things that I enjoy most at the moment- if I’ve really been enjoying my freestyle, I can allow it to go on longer, and if I’d rather just get to the boring workout portion because I’m not feeling creative, I can do that, too.
    Social time IS provided with studio lessons, so if that’s important to you, then definitely a plus on the studio side.
    I tend to be rather shy (especially when it comes to the grande and creative movement of my body, from which I feel very disconnected), so multi-person workouts are a little difficult for me to be comfortable with.
    Studios often have hardwood floor, which can feel a bit uncomfortable on the knees when you’re doing floorwork, but if you enjoy wearing shoes, are awesome- far, FAR preferable to carpet, let me tell you!
    Studios may have different names for moves, which can get confusing when connecting with people online who have other different names for moves- you may not know what your friend can do, and they may not know what you can do, without pictures or video. Also, studios may be more creative with their combos… or, they may not, and may not have ANY combos or indication of “dance” at all (being all about tricks, for example).
    Whereas at home, you’ll have to figure that stuff out on your own!
    Studio may go too quickly for you, or… it may push you harder than you would push yourself at home, and encourage more growth (obviously within reason).

It’s all about what you need and want from your workout! Try a bit of both, and see what you like best πŸ™‚

• Veena

Administrator
    February 12, 2015 at 8:49 pm

The studioveena lessons are perfect for beginners with NO experience or background needed 😊

• Lucca Valentine

February 13, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I prefer home lessons and started with Veenas lessons as a complete newbie completely fine πŸ™‚ video-ing yourself can be really helpful as a way to “self spot” and even post videos here to get advice about what you may be doing wrong. Also, I found that in some more intermediate/advanced studio classes they would push moves too quickly and often unsafely, whereas Veena progresses VERY safely if you follow her videos sequentially. She emphasizes EXCELLENT form, and building proper strength before moving on to the next move.

On the flip side, once I got strong enough at home to go into whatever class confidently (ie I was actually ahead of what they were doing strength wise), the studio definitely gave good stylistic feedback that I may not have gotten otherwise. So both definitely have value. I can see the social aspect as well, but never went to a studio consistently enough to fully reap the benefit of that aspect πŸ™‚ there is also weird satisfaction of going to studios when you’ve been doing Veena videos and the “where the hell did you come from?” reactions, but we have a relatively small pole community here so it you haven’t been advancing in a group at a studio theres always curiousity as to where HAVE you been advancing and what are those moves no one else does? (Studios, at least in our area, tend to be limited to the set moves those instructors have been taught to teach which often is a short list).

Ultimately I started home lessons because of cost. $300 for a pole + $99 for SV lessons = 20 classes or 20 hours total of pole time for the year, and prices have even gone up since then, so now would only be 16 classes/16 hours of pole time for the year. And that’s assuming I can make it out to the studio which is 30 minutes away and would have to fit it somewhere into my 80-90 hour work/school/driving week. I find I do most my poling in the middle of the night because that’s the only time I can fit it in. And I can get as much pole time as I want πŸ™‚ If I exclusively went to studios, I’d only be able to pole like once a month/one hour a month IF that (when in school) and that’s just not enough to progress the way I would like. (Pole addiction kicked in full throttle after one class πŸ˜‰

• Cherished

February 13, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Same as everyone here.
    If I could only choose 1 of the 2 I’d take online lessons. I can do them when I want and can advance or spend extra time on a move at my own pace.

• Tamarinda

February 13, 2015 at 5:45 pm

If someone lives in a big city where good instruction is available I would see it as useful. I live in a smaller city not tiny but not huge. I don’t have a ton of disposable income to throw around so I will only only get something if it’s useful to me. The studio here isn’t good in my opinion. I called them almost a year back and said I was having issues with shoulder mounts and could not engage my core in that position and they said they could teach it to me cuz a shoulder mount is an easy move. That was a red flag to me so I looked up more info of them online and they were teaching to kick up into things. Also there was a vid of an instructor falling out of an extended butterfly, and I just did not like the instruction. I asked them the experience of their instructors and they said in the past their instructors didn’t have to have experience but now new hires must because it’s too hard to teach without experience. I don’t have enough money to pay for that and not enough for the medical bills when I get injured from that type of instruction so I just pay online and go at my own safe pace. I’m sure issues such as this are mainly in smaller cities. Not all studios are good but if there is one near you that’s good then I’m sure studio instruction is beneficial but just do your research first before you throw your money away.