StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Oona splits

• Oona splits

Posted by PoleWarrior on November 13, 2011 at 4:41 am

My new dream trick! Can someone break this down for me? On the floor i can get into position and get a vertical split, but cant  tip over yet. Any tips? thanks!!

Lyme Lyte replied 11 years, 9 months ago 12 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • lilblondie

November 13, 2011 at 9:56 pm

The trick (on the floor at least) is to place your bottom foot with the toes on the ground and heel on the pole.  This lets you tip over, otherwise, you're limited by calf flexibility.  Good luck!

• amy

November 13, 2011 at 10:28 pm

post a video =)

you may not be straightening your arms– you need to keep your face to your knee (literally touching it) and lower yourself into position using arm strength. it's like doing a shoulder dismount, sort of =)

• Ophidia

November 13, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Is this the same move as the Russian splits? If it is, make sure the pole is locked and not spinning.

• Ophidia

November 13, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Is this the same move as the Russian splits? If it is, make sure the pole is locked and not spinning.

• Brumby

November 13, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Get padding; bc you will fall!  The trick looks more beautiful the more horizontal you can get; but sometimes I feel like I am spring-loaded. 

• Gymmeke

November 14, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I seriously find this move easier to do on the pole than on the floor. Use a crashmat and don't go to high at your first attempt. It is important to have your lower foot on the pole and  you try to push it on the pole instead of downwards. When you straighten your arms and lean away from the pole it becomes even easier to push that foot on the pole.

• cricket

November 14, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Also make sure your outside hand is wrapped about behind the knee; the inside hand goes between your legs and cups the pole about upper-to-mid thigh (I find cup grip with no thumbs easier to hold on with more control). Practice lowering yourself a bit more gradually each time. Also force your arch a bit more on the foot by the pole. Another tip – imagine your arms acting as levers controlling how far you go out.

Good luck! 🙂

• Lana Lee

December 5, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I tried this trick months ago but never got back into trying it again because I was too scared to do it unsupervised.  I put some couch cushions down as a crash mat and worked wonders.  My problem is the more horizontal I try and get, the less secure I feel and instead of getting back up into a cupid's pose, I fall.  Any tips?

• megan12

December 5, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I tried this move for the first time today. It is the only time I've actually fallen since I started pole dancing and had I not been strong enough, I literally would have faceplanted into the pole. This move is deceptive. It looks to be simple but I think it takes an incredible amount of balance to pull it off. I think it's all about strong abs to stabilize your body and hold center. I don't know if there's any particular trick to it. But I could be wrong….

• CapFeb

December 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I sorta have this move. I can’t extend very far but can get my top leg off the pole. I did it from the floor and the crash mats were very helpful, but I was still afraid. I started doing it from the air slightly, and I find it much more comfortable since the whole sole of the foot is on the pole, not just the heel on the pole and the ball on the floor. Something to think about.

• Lana Lee

December 5, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I will post my video.  I think it really is more arms than core for me… Maybe I'm doing it wrong and that's why I'm falling? Hrm…

• CapFeb

December 5, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Oh yeah, that 😛 I find that having my arms at about shoulder level (where my shoulders are before I "extend") is best for me. But I see some girls do it at their face, and some do it at their belly button level. I find the shoulder level to be best. It allows me to extend if I feel safe and balanced enough to, and then I'm not over-engaging/death gripping with my forearms and shoulders, if that makes sense. It's very hard to find a proper tutorial for this move, so I hope that one is in Veena's new package of goodies that she hinted at last week +_+

• Kyrsten

December 6, 2012 at 5:59 am

This trick basically feels like a shoulder dismount to me, except that instead of placing your shoulder on the pole, you're placing it on that bottom knee, if that makes sense? I put my hands one knee height, one thigh height, but I have seen people use different heights of hold.

The most important part of this trick for me is to make sure that I am actively pushing out with that bottom foot before I release the top knee… my bottom leg locks out into my torso before I start leaning forward to  split. Again, basically like a shoulder dismount — I'm locking my leg and making it into my pole lol. Straighten that leg completely, making sure to actively push  with the foot and pull with the arms, then start bringing your top leg down.

I also find this trick a lot easier from the pole than from the floor. Just do it really low to the ground starting out and grab some cushions… it really isn't that scary to fall out of close to the floor, since you will fall on your back and not your neck or face lol. I took a couple tumbles learning to dismount from it.

It definitely does take a lot of balance and control, but again, I find it easier from the pole than the floor. Also, if you have sweaty feet, make sure you wipe down the pole and your feet well, and use grip aid on your feet when learning if necessary.

• Lyme Lyte

December 6, 2012 at 11:27 am

This is just a scary move.  I remember watching a fellow memeber learning this move.  Her foot slipped off the pole and she went face first right into the pole.  Yikes!