StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Over 40 polers!!!

• teresawitch

March 9, 2012 at 6:02 am

HI I started pole aged 49 and then when i moved pole schools was asked to join the instructors. i entered my first comp last year and won judges choice for my routine which you might be able to find on here. Roxanne routine. anyhow yes there are moves that my age has problems with (not the brain this still thinks it's young) but i work on my strengths and try to accept my no go areas, which for me are the pretzal and flying ballerina. this kills my shoulder. i still keep chipping away at it though.(no fool like an old fool hehehehehe).

but on a more serious note pole gives us confidence, builds self esteem, helps posture, strength and muscle tone. it opens up a new community of friends and is a world of fun and challenges. enjoy, enjoy enjoy. 🙂

• ginger78

March 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Wow! Never knew there were so many of us in the over 40 club. I’m going to be 44 in July and have been poling for a little over 2 years. I’m pretty flexible but the strength needed for some moves is a constant battle for me. I spend a lot of time in the gym working out for my job too. Guess getting older means everything gets a little harder. Core strength seems to be my biggest downfall I’m still pretty new at inverting and some days just can’t get the tushie up. This post has given me the motivation to get in there a push a little harder.

• Kaylie

March 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Yeah us!! I am new to this site and to poling!! I am glad I started this discussion!! Please friend me so I can use you as my inspiration!! YEAH US

• lolorashel

March 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Have you seen this article about the Pole Pumas?  http://www.insideedition.com/news/7798/celebrities-and-everyday-moms-pole-dance-for-fitness.aspx

I also just wrote an article for Vertical about the Grande Dames — dancers over 50.  There are lots of amazing dancers…all ages!  🙂

• Grande Dame Marilyn

March 10, 2012 at 12:07 am

Here are a couple of other sites for ladies over 50 who are passionate about the aerial arts.

http://www.thepoledancingshop.com/pole-dancing-circle-of-sisterhood/

http://www.internationalpolefitnessforgrandedames.com/

• stylynzy

March 10, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Id like to know if anyone else has asked themselves, Why do I want to do this? I watch Felix Cane and other greats and see how beautifully they dance and I say OMG! me too..I wanna do that! Why? Yes Im inspired but realize I will never remotely be that good. What could I possibly do with this, to what ends?  Especially at this age to train and work so hard, live with soreness bruises spend so much time and effort and money…why? Damn I dont know why, but  I WANT TO TRY! Can anyone else relate?

• Kaylie

March 10, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I totally get what you are saying!! I watch this one Felix Cane video over and over!! I know that I will never be that but it inspires me so!!! Why am I doing this?! I have no idea other than it is a challenging fun workout that brings a little sass to my life

• litlbit

March 11, 2012 at 12:42 am

56 here, been poling now for 5 years and a proud member of The Grande Dames!!  LOVE LOVE LOVE POLE!!!!

• SweetLavender

March 11, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Joined Veena’s site in January as a birthday present to myself. Happy 48th. Have been poling for about 10 months minus 1o weeks off for wrist injury 🙁

I have an xpole and the convenience of a studio near my home with great instructors.

Haven’t posted any video’s yet, but have been blown away by all of you!

• daisyheadmayzie

March 11, 2012 at 10:01 pm

@Lyme Lyte – 45 here, but feel 80!
    2 days, 23 hours ago from Grand Haven, Michigan
    Sorry you feeling old now lymey – me too. Pushing through an illness/injury is more challenging for us as we age. Hang tough babe, we can do it!!!

• daisyheadmayzie

March 11, 2012 at 10:01 pm

@Lyme Lyte – 45 here, but feel 80!
    2 days, 23 hours ago from Grand Haven, Michigan
    Sorry you feeling old now lymey – me too. Pushing through an illness/injury is more challenging for us as we age. Hang tough babe, we can do it!!!

• Lyme Lyte

March 12, 2012 at 8:01 am

Yes we can. Thanks for the words. Need them today as i force myself out of bed on a rainy Monday! Hugs

• Joanna

March 12, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Hi
    I am 42  and have just gained a place in the first Australian Pole Fitness Championships to be held at the end of April.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Australian-Pole-Fitness-Championships/186622061400997

I have been doing classes for about 3 1/2 years but mostly train at home (inbetween work- I run my own Pilates studio – and my kids – 2 boys who are 7 & 10)
    I retired as a dancer when I was 30 and never dreamed I'd have the chance to perform again.
    Between my PIlates and Pole Dancing I feel so strong, although I will never have the amazing back flexibilty of some. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

The biggest down side of being older is the recovery time. I throw myself into my shows and definitley feel it afterwards.

• shellypoles

October 5, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I think flexibility is difficult for lots of dancers at any age (unless your body makeup is naturally bendy-which creates some other physical challenges) and if you're over 40 you really have to work at it.  I have found that my body needs to be  incredibly warm before stretching in order to really work any extreme stretching effectively, but with consistancy in my conditioning, followed byhttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=453894091328980&set=pb.190735254311533.-2207520000.1349489330&type=1&theater stretching I have acheived some really fantastic results….for instance

• Jenn PoleLush

October 5, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I'll be 43 this year..I dont feel it at all and I credit pole for that. I only regret I didnt discover it sooner.  I instruct and LOVE when students say they wanna be ME one day OMG what a compliment. I started poling at 38 and have never looked back. Takes me a little longer maybe to master tricks and my flexibility is …meh…but i wouldnt trade it for anything. Also a proud member of the Grande Dames 🙂

Page 4 of 5