StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Overcoming terrible fear of head/handstands!

• Overcoming terrible fear of head/handstands!

Posted by Polecat88 on January 11, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I've been trying for a couple of weeks to get myself to attempt head/handstands but having absolutely no gymnastic background (seriously never even done a cartwheel) I'm terrified of trying for fear of breaking my neck! Even with a spotter I flail around out of fear and end up kicking the unsuspecting victim! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_surprised.gif

Has anyone else over come a similar type of fear? What helped you get past this?

Layla Duvay replied 13 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • polergirl

January 11, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I was nervous my first few times doing a handstand onto the pole, but after initial success I learned to love doing them.

What about walking the feet up the wall (or pole, whichever) into a handstand, just to get the feel for where your arms/head/body/legs all need to be in order to maintain your center of balance?  I think Veena has a lesson on this…..it's also a great strengthening exercise for your shoulders as long as you don't overdo it.    

Then practice coming down so your muscle memory gets trained to that motion. Then…try going up!

My $0.02 worth.

Is it fear of being heels over head? Or fear that you're not strong/balanced enough to hold it? It may help to figure that out too, so you can defeat it!! Good luck to you!

• Runemist34

January 11, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Major lack of gymnastics and dance background here! I hadn't even done a somersault for more than 15 years until about 2 years ago! I had to do it on my nice safe bed, with lots of cushions and stuff!

I agree with trying to "walk" up to try and get it into your head how it feels, but for me, it's also a major fear of being upside down. I've been working on that, by trying to hang my head off the couch and see how I do. 

It's mostly the "mount" into a head/hand stand that I have issues with. I don't have the arm strength (or the core strength), and I don't feel I have the control. I'll be working on that soon, too, though!

Good luck!

• Polecat88

January 12, 2011 at 2:41 am

I think for me it's fear of not being able to balance in the headstand, having never done it before I havent a clue what it feels like. I've been doing veena's 'climb the pole backwards and do pressups' strength building move and working on my core and I think I'm strong enough but I'm just so stupidly tall (6ft and a bit =s) and uncoordinated that I fear I'll just faceplant! hah!

Thankyou for the advice!

I'll definately try it on the wall too, maybe just a bit more core and upper body training the way forward.

• Madfelice

January 12, 2011 at 5:32 am

I have no fear of headstands, and I too have never done so much as a cartwheel in my life, my really huge irrational fear is the grip where you cup both hands behind the pole above your head and lift your legs from the ground for whatever move you are attempting from here.  Just the thought of it makes me go into a cold sweat.  I usually end up twisting my top hand around the pole in a different grip and just cupping the lower hand and going from there.  I have never slipped or fallen using this grip, it just totally freaks me out and I just can't get past that fear.  I just don't feel safe with it.

Anyway, I am not trying to hijack your thread or anything, just letting you know that although I have no idea of how to get over your fear of handstands, I understand it totally and can really sympathise with you.  I am just saying that yours is not the only irrational pole dance fear out there which will hopefully make you feel better, lol!

• Layla Duvay

January 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I hear you, sister! I wasn't afraid of headstands so much, but handstands really freaked me out. Being able to do one with both legs off the pole was HUGE for me! Two things helped: the YogaToday podcast on how to do handstands; it really walks you through proper positioning and form. The second thing was my instructor helping me position myself and spotting me until I felt the balance. Hope that helps!

• velvetvixen

January 14, 2011 at 6:59 pm

– I tried googling the podcast you mentioned but couldn't find it. Do you have the link?

• Layla Duvay

January 15, 2011 at 9:46 am

Hmmm…I don't have a link. I couldn't find one either through Google. I found it a couple of years ago on iTunes and downloaded it. All you have to do is get iTunes (if you don't have it, and it's free), go to the Store, click on "podcasts" at the top of the page and it will take you to that section. Then you'll scroll down to the "Staff Favourites" section and look for the white, green and grey Yoga Today icon. You wil click on that and then scroll down to #38 "Handstand How-To with Neesha." You can preview it or download it by clicking the "free" button. I also recommend the "Deep Core Muscle Toning with Adi Amar" and some of their hip opening and stress relief podcasts are pretty good too. I also use their "Therapeutic Knee Exercises" when mine start to hurt and go all wonky and they work like a charm! I hope this helps!