StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions People shouting at performances – a rant

• People shouting at performances – a rant

Posted by LillyBilly on June 14, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Am I the only one who finds the widespread habit in our community of SHOUTING THROUGH THE ENTIRE DANCER'S PERFOMANCE incredibly annoying?

Yes, I realise that the viewers want to express their enthusiasm and support the performer, and I realise that it feels good for the person who is performing, but I've been in shows where I had to plug my ears because there was so much noise that it actually hurt, and some youtube videos I watch muted or do not watch at all, because you can't hear the music or enjoy the dance anyway so what's the point?

pantherchild replied 11 years, 9 months ago 26 Members · 38 Replies
  • 38 Replies
  • Kobajo84

June 14, 2012 at 12:59 pm

You're not.  A lot of people have expressed this to me as well.  My husband in particular.  He makes fun of the woo-hoo's when I watch a performance and sometimes I have to mute it too because it scares me all of a sudden when my ear is blasted with a scream.  I know as a performer I wait for audience approval during moves- it's kind of a reassurance that it looks good and boosts your confidence as you're performing.  Some nice polite claps would work just as well too.  A completely silent audience can be nerve wracking. 

• Cherished

June 14, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I know what you mean too (even though I also understand how a performer might like the audience support). There was one video I really loved and also wanted to try to learn some of the moves. I ended up downloading it then putting the music back in over the original audio to get rid of the bad noise.

• LillyBilly

June 14, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I agree about the audience being silent, but maybe it's just because this is what we are used to. You don't hear people shouting during ballet performances, for example, but then they express their appreciation afterwards.

I also think that the noise can be distracting for the dancer. I find it hard to concentrate when people are cheering around me…

• Dancing Paws

June 14, 2012 at 1:12 pm

My fiancee HATES it when the audience yells. It can bother me sometimes if I can't hear the music, but not always.

• Debss

June 14, 2012 at 1:33 pm

It never used to bother me but now I can't stand it!
    I was at Miss Pole UK the other weekend and almost ended up deaf from some girl screeching in my ear constantly!

• Porshka

June 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm

OMFG – I hate it!!  I thought I was the only one and that I was a bad sport or something.  I think it is just bad form.  It is distracting to the dancer, I assume, and also to the audience.  I feel like, "we're trying to enjoy this performance, not listen to your stupid voice the whole time."  They are really putting some of the focus on themselves; I wonder if they realize that?

• LillyBilly

June 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm

@Cherished OMG, this is a fantastic idea! I never thought of that, thanks!

• Sassafrassle

June 15, 2012 at 12:20 am

As a performer and a pole show frequenter, I think a gentle woooo and clapping is good for a performer when they do something worth woooo-ing about – in fact, I am also in the camp that if a pole audience is quiet, I'd be worried during one of my performances! What I don't understand though is the increasingly predilection of some people to screech like banshees throughout the ENTIRE performance! That's when it stops meaning anything and actively impinges on other people's rights as audience members. That's my opinion anyway!

• OopseyDaisey

June 15, 2012 at 1:03 am

I wholeheartedly agree. Not only does it distract from the performer’s interpretation of the music, but I think it cheapens the art of pole in the view of the public. I guess I expect more of a theatre mentality so you can be immersed in the character and story.

• dustbunny

June 15, 2012 at 7:38 am

I'm have mixed feelings about this.  When I performed, I loved hearing the audience cheering me on.  It made me feel like I was "good enough" to be there, and that I should continue because everyone was enjoying it. 

I think part of the "is it appropriate" question can come from the mood of the venue too.  Face it, in a bar, people are going to cheer and yell, they are likely drinking too and one most often leads to the other.  But at a more serious venue, say in a theatre, or a large respected competition, I think a more quiet form of appreciation (clapping) would be more appropriate. 

• polergirl

June 15, 2012 at 9:00 am

I don't want a quiet audience. To me a quiet audience seems bored. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif At the other end of the spectrum I don't want a crowd who doesn't know how to shut up–but those seem few and far between. I think most crowds get the mix just about right.

• Elektra Vallens

June 15, 2012 at 11:35 am

I don't like the screaming either.  I think there's definintely a way for the audience to show support for the performer without screaming her/his name over and over- for example by clapping.  LillyBilly made a good point when she said that this is not how an audience behaves at a ballet- you would get clapping and perhaps a "bravo" for something really spectacular. 

I also think that sometimes the problem with videos of competitions is that the person recording the video is also the person screaming so they are RIGHT in front of the mic.

• NinaPoles

June 15, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I've never seen outright screaming/shouting at any of the showcases I have been to. When I perform I love hearing the audience, but like someone here said – it should be clapping and woo-ing at appropriate times, when you do something extra cool, not constantly throughout the whole performance..

• tarah

June 16, 2012 at 10:04 am

I agree with everyone! There is too much Loud yelling during performances at competitions. I have never been to a live event, but it would be nice to be able to watch performance videos without having all the screams. If it’s at a bar, that’s another story, people are going to be loud. Thanks, lillybilly for starting this thread! 🙂

• hookedonpole

June 16, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I've been to a competition and it was wonderful when showing appreciation by clapping and an occasional "nice" "amazing" "pretty", etc. within the audience.  It was so enjoyable to focus on the performances and not the screaming and squaking.  We also went to an air show performance that was again enjoyable and respectful, while showing appreciation for the performers.

I struggle with the videos of performances that I watch, and agree wtih tarah, the ones with screaming, etc are not enjoyable to watch.  It seems to be a group of a few because the rest of the audience in the videos seem to be enjoying the performance.  But that group of few can be distracting, um…are distracting.  You are not the only one, LillyBilly.

Page 1 of 3