StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions People shouting at performances – a rant

• OopseyDaisey

June 16, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I recently attended a competition where many people were very polite but enthusiastic; however one school in particular started screaming for their dancers (& their dancers only) to the point I couldn’t hear the music. Unfortunately, that started a trend with other schools screaming as though the cheering was part of the competition. Of course, the competitors who weren’t from big schools or were from farther away had fewer people to cheer for them, so it was sad. I think competitions can definitely have more cheering than a theatrical performance, but please…cheer for all or cheer for none, and please be considerate of those sitting around you. IMHO 🙂

• OopseyDaisey

I recently attended a competition where many people were very polite but enthusiastic; however one school in particular started screaming for their dancers (& their dancers only) to the point I couldn’t hear the music. Unfortunately, that started a trend with other schools screaming as though the cheering was part of the competition. Of course, the competitors who weren’t from big schools or were from farther away had fewer people to cheer for them, so it was sad. I think competitions can definitely have more cheering than a theatrical performance, but please…cheer for all or cheer for none, and please be considerate of those sitting around you. IMHO 🙂

• OopseyDaisey

• OopseyDaisey

June 16, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Sorry for the triple post! Dunno what happened!

• Dancing Paws

June 17, 2012 at 10:59 am

It sound like if might be worthwhile to hand out pamphlets at comps with a little disclaimer to please avoid yelling and screaming and that polite clapping is encouraged….along with the dance line up. Just a thought.

• LillyBilly

June 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Good idea…

• Runemist34

June 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm

While I've not been to a pole performance before, I know that when it comes to Burlesque (I notice the communities overlap quite a lot) a lot of noise is encouraged- even expected. I've been to one show that said "These ladies are encouragement based- you yell louder, they give you a better performance!" And, while the performance wouldn't be bad without the yelling, it certainly wouldn't have that interaction between performer and audience that burlesque usually has.

It's meant for encouragement, for a show of appreciation. I can understand that some people may be a bit loud, and I've sat around people like that…

But, if I'm honest, I'd rather have the audience show their apprecation, their excitement and enjoyment of a performance I do, than not. I'm not going to a golf tournament, I'm going to an awesome, sexy, fun pole or burlesque performance!

• mishamishamisha

June 17, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I don't mind if when a big trick or tumble is pulled out but recently I've noticed that ANY trick gets a "ow ow!" or "woooooo" or whatever. And really, as a stripper, I hate it when guys howl and make barking "who who who" noises or whatever. It's just so gross. And when I see / hear audience members making them during pole performances it's even worse since it isn't really even a sexual thing!!

I remember seeing an Alethea Austin floorwork performance and was like. Holy shit, I can hear the music and don't hear any howling! It was such a treat! I think that there should be more enforcement about cheering and when it is appropriate.

• Black Orchid

June 19, 2012 at 8:24 am

I think it depends on whether the context of the performance has been clearly set up for the performer/athlete and audience. Like with burlesque, the audience is encouraged to whoop & holler and with "serious theatre" people know to hold their applause til its done ( and actually with some recital performances I know audience members have been requested to hold their applause til the end of the routine).

But honestly I think the unpredictable nature of performance is part of the nerve-wracking fun: did they like it because they were completely silent til the end? If they are yelling a  lot do they like it or are they drunk? LOL

After doing this competition in June I'll have a better sense of how I feel about this, I guess…you want to connect with the audience through your showmanship but on the other hand I'm nervous enough about the tricks without adding some audience noice to the mix as I go for it!

• monica kay

December 13, 2012 at 8:30 pm

i dislike obnoxious screaming and i cringe when i hear high-pitched cheers during pole performances.  i think clapping is adequate during the performance and afterwards, when the dance is over, its ok to scream and whoop or whatever.

great thread…. i thought i was the only grinch in the pole community lol

• tarah

December 13, 2012 at 8:58 pm

LOL, i feel the same way, Katana!  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

• Haley Bug

December 13, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I like to think of it as an ice skating or gymnatics event. The applause is saved for the amazing tricks, or just at the end. It makes the performer feel special and gives them audience feedback on which tricks are the real crowd pleasers. I do get annoyed with the barking and howling.. it's pretty crude.

• monica kay

December 13, 2012 at 9:14 pm

i think what is sad about this is that the people doing all the screaming are truly enjoying themselves and think they are making the performer happy by vocalizing loudly their excitement and awe…

sometimes they even encourage others to start screaming too

!

• CD Hussey fka Jivete

December 13, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I'm with Runemist, but I have a bellydance back ground. That being said, I'm not a fan of screeching, more like a back of the throat roll, or a nice, Ole! There's a belly dance equivalent, but I can't seem to find the actual word. It sounds like ahwa.

• CD Hussey fka Jivete

December 13, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Praise should always be appropriately timed though.

Page 2 of 3