StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole-Dance Thesis

• litlbit

February 16, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I really feel that "Veena" needs to be on that list!  She has and does influence pole to and for the "average" woman like myself.  She has spent allot of time helping us moms, students, wifes learn how to pole…but more than that her influence is significant because she is a wife and mother of FOUR young boys!!  She has helped change attitudes, and made pole something that "us" ordinary women that will never compete or become "Infamous" with in our grasp!  I know for me she has had a MAJOR impact on my life..she encouraged me, held my hand so to speak when I wanted to give up, only one other person in my life has had such influence on me and God rest her soul she is no longer here…BUT Veena is…I opened my own studio in November because she helped me believe in myself, she helped me become a stronger woman through pole!!  I don't think I'm alone when I say…she is a MAJOR force today in pole and reaches more than 15,000 people through her website!

• babyteks

February 16, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I have Veena and the president of the International Federation on the list as well 🙂

But I hadn't thought of the USPDF and I didn't know about the Asian federation so that's good, thanks! 😀

• glitterhips

February 16, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Did anyone think of using Veena especially since this is her site you're using to ask for help? https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• miss fern

February 16, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Btw, the Asian one is actually Asia Pacific, which includes Australia too. 🙂

iNFO HERE: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Asia-Pacific-Pole-Sport-Alliance-APPSA/111800062214013?v=info

• babyteks

February 16, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Thanks again fern! I think I'll add a section just for federations around the world. It will fit nicely with the rest.

• PolefitFanatic

February 16, 2011 at 7:33 pm

hi there,

I think what you are doing is fantastic! I think that Fawnia was one of the original girls to take pole mainstream, and also Jamilla DeVille – (Australian) was an early-influencer…my 2 cents. i am going to come back to this thread and check out all the links!

• Aquarius80

February 17, 2011 at 12:13 am

This is wonderful!!!! My thesis topic is The History & Art of Pole Dancing. I submitted this topic a month ago & my instructor asked me what could I find to link the subject to business. I also thank you all for the much needed info.

• lauries

February 17, 2011 at 1:47 am

Hi there.  I think your idea is fantastic.  I have seen a few books while on ebay that may help you. 

One I'm sure that could help you is called Pole Dancing, Empowerment and Embodiment by Samantha Holland.  The Review: This book provides an international, multi-disciplinary empirical account of pole classes and how they fit into wider discourses about bodies and gender, and age and fitness. In particular, the book explores how women initiate agency and espouse liberation and empowerment through something as seemingly problematic as pole classes. Heres the contents Introduction Towards a Feminist Ethnography From Circus& Sex ! ! to Fitness& Leisure What is a Pole Class? What Not to Wear Diversity& Empowerment? A Thing of Beauty' The Pole Community: Opening Closed Minds Case Study I: 'Empowering women with confidence' Case Study II: Power Moves& Everyday Bodies Conclusions: A Positive Active Identity? Appendix I: Questions for online questionnaire and statistics of responses Appendix II: Websites of Instructors Who Took Part + Schools Mentioned Bibliography Index.

Something that isnt so much about pole dancing but more stripping and burlesque, (but could be useful) is The Happy Stripper by Jackie Wilson.  The review: If the burlesque stripper, with her bawdy spirit and unruly insubordination, has emerged for many as a new 'empowering' model for the sexually aware woman, then she also strikes horror in the heart of second wave feminism. Embodied by high profile artistes such as Dita von Teese and Catherine D'Lish, the explosive revival of striptease, burlesque and overt female sexual performance has proved no less alluring to a new generation of women artists familiar with the provocative work of 70's performance artists such as Hannah Wilke and Carolee Schneeman. Eloquent on 'prettiness' and power, desire and 'knowingness', money, sex and class, and with an extensive knowledge of burlesque's rich tradition, Willson raises long overdue questions about women's erotic expression within a 'postfeminist' condition. The 'new burlesque' demands above all a response – this fresh, brazen, provocative book at last provides it.

Two books that could be helpful historically are The Mexican Indian Flying Pole Dance by Helga Larsen and May-Pole Possibilities: With Dances and Drills for Modern Pastime by Jennette Emeline Carpenter Lincoln.  However I could not find any info on what these books are actually about.  But I do know that pole dancing has been linked to the may-pole. 

Im not really sure what focus you are looking to take (perhaps you dont either).  It may be helpful for you to go on ebay and do some searches in the books category. Some key words are stripper, stripping, exotic dance, strip tease, and burlesque. 

Hope this has been helpful 🙂

• babyteks

February 17, 2011 at 2:17 am

Wow, you were busy on the other side of the world while I was sleeping 🙂

Thank you for the suggestions. I have a section on the beginnings of pole so I've already spoken about its origins as well  as Fawnia Mondey. I'm adding Jamilla to the second part though, the focus I have is more relevant I think.

Right now I'm focusing on current influential figures. I think I've got a good list going now with some of your suggestions, (of course if I've missed others, please let me know) so I can accurately portray the current evolution of pole.

I appreciate your help tons 🙂

• chemgoddess1

February 17, 2011 at 7:46 am

I might include some of the current male figures in pole….

Dominic Lacasse

Remi Martin

Eike Von Stuckenbrock

Josiah

David Owen

Jungle Cat (Tavon)

Steven Retchless

I am not aware of international males or I would give you their names.

One other person I think greatly influenced pole a few years back and then kind of disappeared…Sarah Cretul.  She totally changed the art.  No one saw an aerial twisted grip prior to her (let alone twisted grip at all??) or some of the amazing moves she performed.  Go an look at the first USPDF competition and the performances…she was in a class all her own and the next year everyone was doing her moves.

Then you have people that are creating new and exciting moves that everyone wants to do:  Oona (Oona split), Marlo (I can't even describe this one but it is one arm pencil thing), Jenyne (jade drop, iron X lift, horizontal pencil), Pantera (death lay),  Allegra (Allegra), Rebecca Butcher (crazy a$$ drop she did), Alethea (floor work), Remi (the Remi)…I'm sure there are others

• babyteks

February 17, 2011 at 1:19 pm

My jaw just dropped. Those are some great suggestions!

I think I've gone from wondering where in the hell I'd find enough material for a thesis to having the luxury of cutting some things out 😀

thanks!

• Scarlett Honey aka Lola Grace

February 18, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I know that pole-dancing organisations have a lot of 'high-up' influences over the sport, but personally, I think for most polers, our greatest influences are our studios in which we train, the teachers or owners of those studios, and our personal pole idols (who are usually the top polers in the world, who compete etc). If you want to look at pole dancing down under, you should definitely research the beginnings and recent expansion of 'Bobbi's Pole Studio' in Sydney. Im not sure, but I have a feeling Bobbi's was the first pole studio in Australia… and they now have branches in Singapore, Malaysia, and more.

I find it interesting to compare the different priorities of pole studios, why some are more athletic and fitness orientated, while others push more dancing/asthetic values…

And as far as pole Idols go, and big names in poling, you cannot go past Alethea Austin! She is the current USPDF Champion, and has been hugley influential in regard to incooperating innovative, gymnast and breakdancing moves into her routines. 

I think you should look at how pole dancing is constantly evolving and expanding… Dancers like Allegra, Felix, and so on are inventing new moves and expanding the physical possibilities of pole…. so yeah, I hope you give plenty of credit to the individual original talent and interpretation of the top pole dancers! 🙂 Good luck!

• miss fern

February 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I'd like to add the following to chemgoddess's list of male pole dancers:

Chris Measday
    Duncan West
    Dave Kahl
    Loic Lebret

All of these guys recently won titles in the International Pole Dance Fitness Association's championships in Tokoyo (IPC).

IPC 2010 Champions: http://www.polechampionship.com/#/ranking-2010/4548128325

IPC 2009 Champions: http://www.polechampionship.com/#/ranking-2009/4544517307

• babyteks

February 19, 2011 at 5:43 am

scarlethoney – You're right. I was focusing on the bigger, more global influences in pole for this part. In the previous section, I touched upon the fact that a lot happens on a more local level but I think I'll expand that a little more.

I have a page limit unfortunately so I won't be able to mention everything & everyone but I'm definitely doing my utmost to give credit where it is due. I hope the end result will please all of you, especially  since you've been so willing to help and add to my research. Which I'm also mentioning because I also talk about how sites like studioveena and youtube for instance have helped unite polers from all over.

Before I'm done, I'll post an index so you guys can see what it looks like and deals with. When my professor approves it, I'll translate it into English.

Page 2 of 2

The forum ‘Discussions’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now