StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole Dancing Tweens on “The Talk”

• Dancing Paws

July 12, 2011 at 11:13 am

Uh, don't even get me started on beauty pageants. Sexifying little girls…..

• Runemist34

July 12, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Wow…I Raged pretty hard about that one for a bit. Children don't know any better…it's like putting a mouse in a pagent. Especially when they're before 5 years old, during those formative years, you're really putting certain expectations and certain ideas of beauty and acceptance in their heads, and that will NEVER leave.

Give me pole dance any day.

Also, I liked Sharon's face. She didn't look impressed AT ALL!

• JennyBacardi

July 12, 2011 at 6:34 pm

when youre 5years old sex doesnt exist in your world. So if your brought up that a pole for excercise you will appreciate the strength it takes to do the moves, but if you are brought up that a pole is wrong and its sexual then thats what you will think of it. Yes pole is sexual if thats what you make of it but it doesnt have to be.

• Twinkletoes

July 12, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I just blogged about this very same topic so, naturally it caught my eye. For whatever reason, the majority of people in the United States refuse to accept pole dance as an art form. The notion of a stripper and a pole refuses to escape the American psyche. Why? I don't know. Sharon Osborne is awesome, I would have expected her to provide support for pole dance and she did. What surprised me was the negative comment from the other actress, whats-her-name- King-of Queens-lady…wow she said "over her dead body would she allow her child to dance on a pole for fitness." I bit extreme, I thought. It's this sort of shit that is  pet peeve of mine. Why can't pole dance lose the sexualized stigma? And honestly, children, particularly little girls are not thinking about being sexy. They just want to move and have fun. Honestly, if it were up to me, I would incorporate into all dance training and gymnastics a vertical pole class for dancers/gymnasts to cross train and that sort of training is started at a very young age. Just my two cents. 😀

• Runemist34

July 13, 2011 at 12:17 am

Here's a funny one to think about: Ballet, the Waltz, and Swing dancing were all very scandalous once! And now, we think of Ballet and the Waltz to sometimes be rather stuffy, and swing dancing isn't done for recreation anymore, but when it is occasionally done, it's considered fun, not sexual.

I think it's just the growing pains. We'll get there…eventually.

And you know what? I don't mind being a little scandalous now and then! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• poleprincess89

July 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm

This video pissed me off so much… and i just kept thinking about how they are trying to find something to make pole dancing look bad. they brought up children pole dancing because they need to show how this crazy pole dancing fad has gone too far. first of all, when i was a kid, i was all over that jungle gym and it didn't matter if the poles were vertical or horizontal. i just wanted to climb stuff and hang off of stuff with my legs. if my mom had had a pole in the living room, i would have been all over it because it's fun and a good way to spend your energy, especially when you have tons to spare, as a kid.

The other thing is the stuff that leah was saying was really annoying and ignorant. she said, "there is a real thing called gymnastics where you can take your kids blah blah blah i'm a sobby bitch…" first of all, the reason pole is so great is because it's for everyone and it's never too late to learn more. however, gymnastics is not for everyone because you have to be small enough to do it and you have to start when you're really young. it's also expensive and a waste of time and money. most times, if you're not one of the competitive gymnasts that have been doing it since you were 6 years old, the instructors just let you run around and do whatever you want, without really teaching you much. i know this from personal experience. i did gymnastics when i was 12 and it was a complete waste of time and money.

• OopseyDaisey

July 13, 2011 at 8:03 pm

@poleprincess89  "blah blah blah I'm a sobby bitch" is now my new favorite catch phrase! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

I agree that she was looking for something to make it bad, but she never came up with any real argument other than calling it a "stripper pole".  I wonder if she realizes most women don't even dance for their partner on a regular basis.  Mine's all technical about it anyway (totally thinks he's an expert lol!)

Page 2 of 2