StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole Finish POLL

• FuzzyNavel

October 18, 2010 at 1:33 am

I learned on Stainless, now have a chrome x-pole. I have very dry hands and I slip a lot. In the beginning I didn’t want to use grip aid, but I finally caved and tried just a bit and it helped me SO much. There are days when it is cold and dry and I can’t put enough grip aid on https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cry.gif (very frustrating) I have been considering selling my chrome for the TG. I’ve used brass once and was amazed my its grippyness; I felt much safer too.

• Spinderells

October 18, 2010 at 2:58 am

I have only ever used brass & stainless steel, and I MUCH prefer stainless steel. I learned on brass and only ever used brass until a few months ago. I think I will be selling my brass pole for a stainless one.

For me, brass gets too hot too fast (even in cold, dry weather) and it slows me down.. I have to wait for the pole to cool down before I can get back on it, or else it makes painful calluses on my hands. And I get pole burn on my thighs.

I have never used chrome or tg, so I can’t comment on those..

• Poledancefan

October 18, 2010 at 3:23 am

I haven’t had too many opportunities to try different poles and finishes…but I think I like Brass the best. As a heavy male poler, the grip is really nice for keeping all 200 pound of me up on the pole.

This thread gave me an idea. At the next pole convention, wouldn’t it be nice to have a "pole testing" room where there was one pole of every diameter and coating. Then you could try out each one and make a decision to inform future purchases.

Just a fantasy, I guess…

Joel Lessing (poledancefan)

• EVamp83

October 18, 2010 at 7:12 am

Joel, that’s a great idea! Not many of us would otherwise have the opportunity to try many different sizes and finishes.

I’ve only ever tried steel and chrome. I practice on stainless steel, which is very grippy in the summer and hard to warm up in the winter. I have dry skin, especially in winter which only makes it harder to get a good practice when it’s cold. But thanks to Vaseline’s aloe vera lotion, the winters aren’t that bad anymore. All in all, I like the stainless steel poles. They are a bit scratched from heavy use, which makes them grippier than most SS poles. And I just had to figure out what works for me regarding those specific poles.

I tried chrome once, at a pole jam. I felt the chrome pole and I got along fine. So I’ll be getting a chrome x-pole in a few weeks, so I can finally start practicing at home. (Yay! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif )

• MissKitty83

November 7, 2010 at 2:49 am

I’m a real newbie at pole dancing, and the only thing I’ve tried are the brass poles at my studio. I have normal skin and hands, and they do not sweat. I’m not a huge fan of the brass poles, though, I feel like I stick too much, and I’ve only logged 5 hours on the poles so far. I tend to like the poles better at the beginning of class, before they warm up, because they’re a little more slick. I have no problems whatsoever gripping or climbing, but I sometimes stick too much to be able to comfortably do spins, and sometimes just sliding down from a climb is sticky and uncomfortable. I don’t know if this is inexperience or not, though.
    Would like to try a chrome pole, as that seems to be the next more slippery pole, excepting the Titanium Gold XPole, and I doubt I’ll ever have or get to play on one of those. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif Also, I’m in Charleston, and the weather here is mostly hot and humid.

https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_sunny.gif Thank you so much for starting this thread, Veena!! It has been SUPER informative and helpful!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_colors.gif https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_sunny.gif

• myflossybear

November 8, 2010 at 10:57 pm

i have been using a chrome pole since i started poling and didnt really get much chance to try any other finishes on poles. My skin on my hands is very weathered and sweats a lot too. and i have trouble with sweating a lot too during any form of exercise.

i have just started lessons up in edinburgh and unlike the lessons i had in blackpool where we had all chrome xpoles this instructor uses stainless steel.

i found the stainless steel very hard to grip and get warmed up on. i could climb ok on it after i had warmed up the pole for a long while. it may have helped a bit that i was too warm and was slightly sticky, but i still found it hard to grip when spinning.

i think i prefer the chrome as its a bit stickier to hold and do spins on although it can still take a while to warm up.

• moonflower

December 27, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I have dry skin.
    In cooler temperatures, my hands prefer brass but my legs/body prefer TG.
    Can’t dance on stainless in cool to warm temps.

In hot temperatures, I can dance on anything including stainless.

• Webmaster

Administrator
    January 2, 2012 at 11:09 pm

This thread should be fixed now.

• PoleHappyVek

June 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Might as well share my experience 🙂

I live in Canada, Winnipeg to be precise. You know? The city that's colder than the north pole in the winter(up to -50 degrees C) 🙂 and fairly hot in the summer(30-35 degrees C)…ohhh yes. In my poling lifetime I've tried chrome 45mm x-sport, TG 45mm AND 50mm x-pert and brass 50mm. No experience with stainless steel 🙁 sorry

The one i own is 45mm TG x-pert

My favorite would have to be TG 50 mm. Yes, i have small hands but love skin grips and inverts and i just love the feel. I Wish wish wish i had know of my love for 50mm before ordering my pole but i'm honestly just happy to have my own pole and i know that if i can do something on a 45mm i can definitly do it on a 50 mm! Especially anything skin grippy 😛

My hands don't get too sweaty, I don't have dry skin on my hands either. Just regular old hands i'd say. I have a few calluses right under my fingers on the inside of my hand from poling. I don't find the weather changes affect my poling too much. Sure if it's very very hot i will sweat more but i live in a pretty dry climate and i think that has a lot to do with it. Basically that's it.

About me; I'm 5 foot 4, 20 years old and have an average body type. I taught pole fitness until recently, teaching mostly spins and transitions, levels beginner to intermediate. The studio where i worked shut down so now i'm back to focusing on my own pole growth. I'm excited to finally work on skin grips!

I have kind of a mix of fair and olive skin. I guess i'm light olive skinned in case that helps. My siblings burn to death in the sun but i have the ability to tan and don't need a stupid high spf when wearing sunscreen. I CAN burn but definitly not as easily as my fair skinned friends.

Here's my 2 cents on the actualy different finishes; chrome is just too slippery for me, the brass was fine. It's GREAT for skin grips, oh my, but i really love spins so it was just too grippy for my liking and how i want to pole dance. Now for the titanium gold…This is the best of both worlds for me!! It it definitly grippier than chrome but not so grippy than it makes it hard for my hand to turn around the pole during spins like with the brass. The TG is my favorite by far 🙂

I guess you need to think of a few factors befoer choosing a pole. This is what i wish someone would have told me before i got my own pole:

What do you like to do while pole dancing? Spins, skin grips, inverts, simply for fun or fitness?

How far do you plan on taking your poling skills? competitions? inverts? skin grips? spins?

If you plan on taking you poling skills very far would you consider getting an x-pert or would a x-sport do just fine?

What are you using now? 45mm or 50mm? what finish?

How do u like it? Too slippery? Too grippy? Just right?

Basically it's all about preference and what you want to DO or eventually be able to do with your pole.

You can use these questions as a guideline to making the right decision.

Again, if you plan on going competitive, take into account the types of pole used for competitions. Maybe you want to do a lot of skin grips and inverts with which a 50mm would offer more grip but you prefer the 45mm anyway, that is just fine. As long as you understand what you need for you style of dance and what you want while taking into accound you future pole self as well.

I hope this helps! I know it would have helped me.

• PoleHappyVek

June 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Haha, i didn't realise how much i had written! So sorry lol

Page 2 of 2