StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole: Seeking advice from girls with thick curly/frizzy hair

• JhennD

October 31, 2012 at 1:06 pm

AMEN for Naturallycurly.com !! They also have an app (I love it!) one feature is location and todays weather, and your specific curl/wave/kink type. Products, styles, methods, when NOT to mess with it.

I grew up with my mum brushing my hair everyday. I looked and felt my hair was bozo the clown in blonde. Dreadlocks happened fast in high school because I didn't want to brush my hair out. Yucky scared teen of a straight hair mum. My sisters all have curly hair and we were funny looking when it came to hair grooming. My ethnic background Finnish mum and mediterran mix dad (curly).

I shampoo my hair twice a month and my stylist thinks because my hair is so dry I must be shampooing 3 times a day. I soak it and while conditioning massage softly and comb thru my hair condition again and use a little oil (whatever was suggested by my stylist) then rinse cool water. i don't use a terry towel I use a white (hanes or fruit of the loom) t-shirt to dry -I mean blot up the water (less friction) and I try to air dry. Products for whatever style I go for. I try to wrap it up (since my cat sleeps on my pillow now) in a satin cap -try a silk or satin pillowcase. (body chemistry just like for grip on pole, is different for products and tools for hair)

When poling (or exercising in general) at the studio I'm a fuzz head. I make it a point to get a blow dry when it's studios' girls night out or parties. So I know they see me NOT fuzz. 

I loved my hair pixie cut, soft curl and so much cheaper when it came to products (not for the salon visits though) but it took 8 years to grow it to this point. Yes vitamins I take daily, my hair grows thick not long. So I HAVE to stick with length till I decide short for life.

• Aly77

November 1, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I agree with Chemgoddess about the Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier.  

I have naturally curly hair, and my  "must have" for tangles and moisturizing in the shower is Queen Helene Cholesterol.  You can find it in Walmart or most drugstores near the ethnic hair products and it's around $3 for a 15oz jar.   

• CapFeb

November 1, 2012 at 5:01 pm

The aussie hair rescue thing was amazing, and then I had a super moisturizing shampoo and a curl definer….hair was great for two days. This morning it was super dry and I realized I didn’t buy a leave-in conditioner. So I tried th curl definer and some extra virgin olive oil…worst idea.
    My hair is moisturized (but not well, more like a soft greasy feeling) in some patches and dry in others. I only used a penny sized amount on 16 inches of hair. A customer told me he’d like to come back and see me–when I’ve washed my hair. He was a fuzz head too, but he’s a guy, he doesn’t have to deal with the length. He was super understanding, it was just awkward and embarassing @_@

I’m thinking of the nexxus leave in conditioner. I couldn’t find the garnier one Danielle suggested.

• keex

November 1, 2012 at 6:02 pm

How am I just now seeing this? I swear by Alaffia brand which I get at natural food stores like Whole Foods. They're shea butter based products which are awesomely moisturizing for curly hair which tends to get dry/brittle easily. It helps add shape to your curls too. Oh, & their products are certified fair trade.

@ was absolutely right. Don't "wash" your hair a lot. I wash my once/week but condition it every 2 days followed by a leave-in-conditioner.

http://www.alaffia.com/

• KellyKegan

November 1, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I do not perm my hair but I do process it and that will dry it out kinda like a perm…

paul mitchell awapuhi deep conditioner changed my hair's life it's stronger and

grows much better now I use it once a week….

• hookedonpole

November 1, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I love this thread, but now which product do I try first???  It's so hard to decide!

• keex

November 1, 2012 at 11:15 pm

the one w/ the least chemicalshttps://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• Runemist34

November 1, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Honestly, I find that any thick, opaque (not-see-through) conditioner or product is best! If it says "curly hair," then it had BETTER be moisturizing! That's the worst thing for curly hair… it's so dry, and gets so dry if you do anything not nice to it.

Try some stuff out, see what you like better, look for a pattern in the products that you like, that give you the hair you want!

• DaniDuB

November 3, 2012 at 7:48 am

I love WEN for my curly hair and I use it as a leave in conditioner also. Instead of brushing, I use a wide tooth comb while my hair is wet in the shower, after applying the Wen conditioning cleanser. 🙂

• DaniDuB

November 3, 2012 at 7:51 am

I order wen from qvc.com but here is the wen website. http://www.wenhaircare.com

• CapFeb

November 4, 2012 at 9:11 am

I was looking at the wen system, but I didn’t have $40 for hair this month. And probably won’t for a while with it being the holiday season. I ended up going wih the nexxus duo leave in conditioner. It smells amazing, and when I put it through my hair after getting out of the shower, I discovered that I had a rubberband somewhere in there that had forgotten about for…oh, about a week and a half. I just spritzed some on the band and after two cuts to the rubberband it all came out with a few brushes from a wide tooth comb :3 I’m very happy with how lightweight it is, too. I only have to use it about once a day and my hair feels very happy.

• minicoopergrl

November 5, 2012 at 6:08 am

The Wen formula is going mainstream.  You can buy Wen at Sephora now, but lots of the main drugstore brands are starting to carry thier version of Wen.  You can also buy a version of it Sallys too.  Im a Sallys addict, I get most of the hair stuff there. 

Ive been using Wen since June.  I have very thick hair that I keep it short b/c it will weigh my head down. Also being a colored red head, I preserve my color by washing it 2-3 days/week.  Ive noticed I can go longer between colorings now as well. 

• mspretty1414

January 11, 2014 at 3:29 pm

This may have already been mentioned but my daughter has curly hair (I’m Lebanese and Cuban and my husband is Black). I use Pink Lotion and Argan oil in hers and it leaves it so soft and shiny.

• Amani

January 11, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I’m African American and have course hair naturally. If you want to straighten it a little but still keep some texture you can try keratin products. I wouldn’t recommend a full keratin treatment unless you want your hair to be pretty much completely straight. If straight is your goal a keratin treatment would work wonders for you.

If your goal is to keep your curls but just get them under control I recommend a book called “curly girl”. It takes about a day to read. It’s pretty short and to the point. The methods work wonders. The book is geared to all ethnic groups and it will work for anyone.

I’ve tried both the keratin treatment and the “curly girl” method and highly recommend either one.

Let us know how it turns out.

• hookedonpole

January 11, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I mentioned in post here I might go back to my curly look, which is natural curly, the UGLY kind of frizz. I did few weeks ago with shorter hair cut, but longer on the sides. I cannot use regular mousse or regular hair gel, it does not give enough control.

Right now I use Bed Head Foxy Curls Extreme Curl Mousse, then a small amount of Cat Walk Curls Rock Amplifier. The Foxy Curls Extreme Mousse has more control than regular mousse, the Curls Rock is a cream that hardens, so I use very little and especially in the back of head where hair tends to frizz more. I scrunch hair vigorously, then blow dry with diffuser or let air dry if I have time. Sometimes I even flip head upside down and up again, then scrunch. FYI, I have used Bed Head (Tigi) Foxy Curls Extreme Curl Mousse by itself, but find my hair needs little more help with the Curls Rock.

As mentioned, once I apply the Curls Rock, scrunch, and begin to blow dry, I do not touch anymore, other than to scrunch a curl here or there. I even put the top/blouse I’m going to wear BEFORE drying, because if hair is disturbed when changing, a section can get frizzy and poof.

A lot of info here, but I understand frustration with curly hair. I’m going to look into some of the methods given here. I also think my hair looks cuter in curly look when poling, instead of unruly mop when inverting, etc. 🙂

Page 2 of 3