StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions “Pole dancer”?

• “Pole dancer”?

Posted by Lee lee on September 18, 2013 at 11:08 pm

When did you start calling yourself a pole dancer? Better yet, at what point did you feel like a pole dancer as opposed to saying you are taking a class, doing pole fitness, etc…

I’m just curious to know what moment contributed to that feeling for everyone.

Lee lee replied 11 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Runemist34

September 19, 2013 at 1:06 am

For me, it was more-or-less when I owned my own pole! I had been taking classes, and decided I would do it at home as well.

It's been a long time since classes have actually been available to me, and a long time since I bought that pole… and, through all the hiatuses and such, I still call myself a Pole Dancer 🙂

• Lee lee

September 22, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Oh that’s cool, but I meant for each individual.

In my case, I think it was when I went to my first studio pole jam. My instructor at the time took a picture of me and immediately came to show me. She said I made the move I was doing look effortless. From then on, I think I felt confident enough to start saying I was a pole dancer.

• CrazyKosters

September 22, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I considered myself a pole dancer as soon as I started classes lol. I had a pole before I started though. After like 2 months of owning a pole (I only did the beginner series class) I started filming myself….boy was I wrong! Lol, I think I should have waited to call myself a pole dancer haha! Seriously though, I think if you use a pole, you can call yourself a pole dancer. But what if you dont dance at all and just use it for holds and poses without transitioning? Can u call yourself a pole dancer if u dont dance? Just curious… hmmm

• Lee lee

September 22, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Yeah, I don’t know. I mean a beginner might not ‘dance’ much initially but they could still be considered a pole dancer.

• scorpiotrickster

September 22, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I don't know what to consider myself, since I mostly practice individual tricks and combinations, rather than anything fluid or dance-like. Tricks come easily, but dancing does not, so I feel like I can't really call myself a dancer. "Pole athlete" maybe?

• SmilingFox

September 23, 2013 at 10:37 am

I have been doing pole for 7 months, and I still can't call myself a pole dancer. I say I do pole dance, but never refer to myself as a dancer. Being a dancer, in my mind, has a prerequisite of flowing movement and grace. Neither of those qualities do I possess. Putting together spins and poses with flowing transitions, is definitely not my forte. At this rate, I'm not sure that I will ever consider myself a pole dancer. So, I'm sorry I can't be of much help 🙂 

• dustbunny

September 23, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I'm not sure when I made the transition from, "I take pole dancing classes" to "I'm a pole dancer". 

When I teach I get my students doing continuous motion and "dancing" right from Day 1.  After we go through a whole song without stopping (by the end of their first class) I tell them that they are now officially pole dancers.  Gets a great reaction, big smiles, cheers, etc.

• JoleneBell

September 23, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Snobbery aside, I think anyone who grabs a pole and creates movement using the pole as a center can call themselves a pole dancer.

I guess I tend to say "I pole," or, "I pole dance," rather than, "I'm a pole dancer." I feel like saying "I'm a pole dancer," is similar to saying "I'm a stay at home mom," as though the term defines who you are, and there's so much more to us! 

• JoleneBell

September 23, 2013 at 1:01 pm

*grabs a pole and creates movement using the pole as a center on a regular basis

• Lee lee

September 23, 2013 at 4:53 pm

@SmilingFox – At least you know in your mind what you have to work towards then, should you want to call yourself a pole dancer one day.

@dustbunny – I like what you tell your students!

The forum ‘Discussions’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now