StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Poles per instructor

• Poles per instructor

Posted by hrhlaura on March 8, 2012 at 4:57 am

Hi everyone!

I have a question that has been bugging me for some time now. I am looking to open a new studio and was wondering what the safe number of poles per instructor is?

It is covered quite extensively, internationally, the accepted number of students to a pole, being between 2-3. But I have yet to find in a code of conduct anywhere what the accepted number of poles to an instructor is? Is it really safe for me to have 12 poles with 3 students on each for a total of 36 students being taught at anyone time? I really don't think so. And surely as the pole level advances the student to instructor and pole to instructor ratios should decrease?

Also what is safer? 6 poles with 2 students sharing or 12 poles with 1 student per pole?

Personally, I am only comfortable teaching with 6 poles in a studio and 2 students per pole, although if I had 12 poles I would insist on 1 person per pole.

Thanks in advance

Vdub replied 12 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

March 8, 2012 at 7:39 am

There is no code of conduct regarding this but I know for sure I would not take classes with that many peopel.  There is no way in the world that one instructor can watch or even give enough one on one time to that many students in any given class time.  Lulu (minicoopergirl) recently had a post here regarding a large class size and how she felt liek she was not progressing.

Seriously, 6-8 people per instructor is probably the limit to have an effective class.

I will try to find some of the other discussions that have been posted here and link them for you.

• chemgoddess1

March 8, 2012 at 7:46 am
  • nymphdancer

March 8, 2012 at 7:56 am

chem is the queen of the search function 🙂

I personally agree with Chem, 8ish people per teacher for a pole class.

• hrhlaura

March 8, 2012 at 8:33 am

Ahhhh Chem! You rock 😀 thank you so much! Some how I knew you would know what I had missed (or been too lazy to search)

So, is anything being done to amend pole associations codes of conduct? Should I push my Association to amend their code? Of course I will keep my studio safe based on the "Veena Code" courtesy of all the input from you amazing people! But its frustrating trying to "legitimise" pole dancing when associations are allowing no limits on the number of poles per studio.

Thank you so much guys

• Mary Ellyn

March 8, 2012 at 9:59 am

Interesting that you use the term code of conduct? Does that mean you are referring to the Pole Dance Community?

This has been discussed on the members forum of the PDC and you should bring it up again. That is the reason for the forum and you may bring a new perspective to the idea or they may help you understand why they originally decided not to state a number of students per instrutor in the COC.

It's not a matter of the number of poles as much as it is the number of students per instructor.

• hrhlaura

March 9, 2012 at 12:47 am

Hey – https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/bc950dd0-d89d-11df-ab19-12313b090e12, It is something that I will bring up on the PDC forums thank you, but I was actually more referring my country's pole dancing association. It was something that I was worried about with the new studio and when I approached them for guidance, I discovered that they didn't have any for me. It got me worried about the studios and gyms they were admitting and the safety aspect of it, but I guess they are hoping that you will use your own judgment.

Because of the lack of help that side I thought I would approach The Veeners, as everyone always has such helpful and relevant advice for me. I have my own feelings on it but I wanted more advice.

• Mary Ellyn

March 9, 2012 at 5:31 am

Laura…out of curiosity where are you from?

I had tried to find the thread yesterday where we had discussed it but I couldn't.

I generally believe about 8 students per instructor max. The number of poles and students per pole would generally have more impact on how you teach your class.

More poles (say one student per pole) is going to mean a more intense class for students so you generally would be setting an easier pace than you do with two students per pole where they are getting short breaks in between their turns on the pole.

However, in my opinion, it doesnt matter what your student to pole ratio is as much as how many students an instructor can safely oversee at one time.

Some instructors are quite comfortable with more than 8 students but it's also relative. I usually have only 6 per class so when I add one or two for a make up 8 seems like a lot. But I've heard of those who have 8 and can squeeze in a couple more without any more difficulty.

It also depends on the structure of the class. For example in parties I am comfortable with up to 12 or even 15 per instructor but I keep the content very simple for parties.

(I believe as I recall there were so many factors that that is why the PDC never included it in the code of conduct)

• Vdub

March 9, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I've been in classes with up to 15 people and 12 poles.  I didn't care for the experience.  There's just not enough time for the instructor to possibly help eveyone and move the class forward at an acceptable rate.  I find myself standing around alot in larger classes and it not only cools my body off, but it turns me off of the studio as well.  On the flipside, I've had classes with only 4-6 people and it was great.  Everyone had their own poles and the instructor was able to help everyone without anyone else feelig slighted.  I think 8 people in a class is about the max with one instructor.  

Might be a good idea to look those studios that have larger classes and compare them to those that have smaller classes.  My guess would be that studios that have large classes and multiple people per pole have higher turnover rates and constantly have to market for new students whereas those with smaller classes have more repeat students who build a commraderie not only with other students, but with the instructor as well.   Maybe some folks on the forum who teach or own studios can comment.