StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Problem with inverted V.

• Problem with inverted V.

Posted by marty83 on August 11, 2013 at 4:51 am

Hi everyone, i’m new member from Italy.
    In Italy pole community is not big as in u.s, so i’m looking for some help a little far from my country.
    I started pole dance last october, i can do gemini and scorpio, inverted crucifix, but the way i get those moves is not pretty at all, because i can’t get the inverted V. I lift the leg, but when i’m there i can’t go upside down, i need to use my foot (with the pole) to pull my hips up. And when i’m there i can hold the V.
    I don’t know what to do. And i don’t understand if the problem is the lack of strenght in arms or in the ABS.
    Do you have any suggestion?

SlowLearnerScottish replied 11 years, 2 months ago 8 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • marty83

August 11, 2013 at 4:51 am

Hi everyone, i’m new member from Italy.
    In Italy pole community is not big as in u.s, so i’m looking for some help a little far from my country.
    I started pole dance last october, i can do gemini and scorpio, inverted crucifix, but the way i get that moves is not pretty at all, because i can’t get the inverted V. I lift the leg, but when i’m there i can’t go upside down, i need to use my foot (with the pole) to pull my hips up. And when i’m there i can hold the V.
    I don’t know what to do. And i don’t understand if the problem is the lack of strenght in arms or in the ABS.
    Do you have any suggestion?

• calipolepixie

August 11, 2013 at 11:23 am

You really should get your basic invert solid & make sure you can do it smoothly, safely & controlled (not jumping into it) before you move onto learning the v invert.

Do you have Veena’s lessons? Her lesson on the v invert is great. Also in the conditioning & strength lessons there are several exercises you can do to strengthen your core & arms to prepare for the v invert. Sounds like you need to work on building up your core & arm strength more first. The v invert is tricky & takes time to develop the strength for it & understand the mechanics that go into executing the move that’s when you will be able to get it. HTH!

• AriFerrari

August 11, 2013 at 4:18 pm

This is one of the best videos I've seen to date on how to properly and SAFELY execute an inverted V:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euLwDYO3KXw

I'm a huge stickler on encouraging everyone I know who poles or does aerials to focus on having good form in these inversions. I injured my shoulder at the beginning of my pole journey from doing this incorrectly and I'm still paying the price almost 2 years later! 

Major tips:
    *Hips in front of pole
    *NEVER kick up
    *squeeze the pole in your armpit and use that grip to help you up

• CrazyKosters

August 11, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I agree with the above posts. I also injured the back of my shoulder by pulling a muscle a few months ago by doing it with bad form. It's not just your arms and abs that need strength, also work on your back and shoulder strength and make sure your engaging your shoulders, arms, and abs before you tilt back. I'm no expert at all but injuring yourself from improper form really puts a damper in your day,week or month/s….If you don't have the lessons here, youtube it and view multiple videos from the pros. ive seen some pretty bad advice on youtube, and i've been guilty of doing those and hurting myself so do your research. Good luck and you'll get it eventually!

• Veena

Administrator
    August 11, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Hi Marty83, I think conditioning the body and having a solid basic invert is really important before working on the inverted V. If you don't have the conditioning for this move then success with this move is not likely.

If you do have the lessons be sure to follow them in the order in which the are presented. This will help you build up to moves like the inverted V.

The Pole Strength routine will help increase your strength https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4db64418-c354-4da5-aa23-464c0ac37250

• jkpolegirl

August 11, 2013 at 9:44 pm

One of the major problems I’ve found with the inverted v is where your hands are when u start your invert

Your hands should be no higher than eye level…. you have to get your legs and butt about your hands so the higher they are the higher you have to get

Also… I think some over this may have been said already………… make sure you are letting your head drop backwards and you want to get your crotch as close to the pole as you can… the further your butt is away the move gravity will be pulling you down

Hope that helps!!

• nikalynn

August 12, 2013 at 1:21 am

Make sure you are solid in your basic invert before attempting. 🙂 Looking for your feet is always a problem I see. I would suggest looking for a point on the ground behind you (or draw a dot on the wall) and look for that as you tilt. Make sure you are starting with your hips in front of the pole (as stated above) and tucking your legs into a ball as you tilt, then splay as your hips change positions with your head. Most women are not strong enough to lift into it with straight legs in the beginning. It is a progression. It is also important to let your hands slide down to hook your outside leg hang. Do not thrust your hips above your hands to hook, which is bad for your back (and looks messy). You also want to make sure that you don’t tilt your outside hip toward the pole when you invert-v. The pole should run under your inside armpit/bicep, alongside the inside waist and along the inner of your inside hip.

But like I said, the biggest struggle I see in the beginning is when people look for their feet to see them splay…which won’t allow your hips to come high enough.

Good luck!

• SlowLearnerScottish

August 12, 2013 at 1:58 pm

@ nikalyn – "You also want to make sure that you don't tilt your outside hip toward the pole when you invert-v"

This is the bit I can't manage.  I have lower back damage and don't know if it's just not strong enough….?  It take most of my strength to raise my knees to my chest while holding on that I don't understand how to do the hip tilt bit….

The forum ‘Discussions’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now