StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Protien??

• Protien??

Posted by Porshka on May 4, 2012 at 10:21 am

So… I know that you are supposed to eat a ton of protein where you are trying to build muscle, but does that count for muscle strength as well?

In terms of poling, I need to build a great deal of strength but I am not trying to put size on.  However, obviously to at least some degree they are connected, but most polers aren't ripped until they start flexing.

I want to know if I need to be craming in the protein, or if I can just eat naturally (but also conciencously –  I am a healthy eater) and not worry about it?

sundcarrie replied 12 years, 3 months ago 7 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Dancing Paws

May 4, 2012 at 11:43 am

I haven't increased my protein intake at all. My sister in law, whom I hadn't seen in over a year, saw my arms recently and said "you've got some guns on you!" I personally think you get enough protein if you eat a lot of veggies, fruits, beans, nuts, etc. Mixing plant materials gives you all the amino acids you need. You can even eat some hemp seeds or avocado in your food as they contain all your essential amino acids. Eating too much protein (like in the atkins diet) is actually bad for you as it is hard on your liver (your liver has to convert all that protein into ammonia to excrete in your urine.) Too much protein can lead to ketosis.

• Krista Bocko

May 4, 2012 at 11:48 am

I wouldn't cram in the protein. Eat conscientiously. For protein sources I like beans and other veg sources, and eggs and lean meat/tuna/salmon. I also do supplement with whey protein powder 3-4 times per week.

• jeansgina

May 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Houmous is a good source of protein. If you're going to eat meat with a meal you only need a portion the size of your hand.  You're supposed to have protein with breakfast, lunch and tea but if you've had a good pole work out then it's good to eat protein soon after to help you build strength

• jeansgina

May 4, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I meant to say that the meat portion should be the size of your palm, not ur hand oops

• ShonaLancs

July 1, 2012 at 2:28 pm

My fella is a sports lecturer and trains everyday…I asked him your question and he said 'Whenever you do any excercise, esp strength based like pole, your body breaks down its own protein so that has to be replaced. So even if you do eat your RDA of protein, by exercising you are using some so should eat more to replace what you use. Getting stronger but not building size is determined by the type of exercise you do not the amount of protein you eat'

He recommended that on the days I pole/do other exercise (as I probably naturally dont eat enough protein generally-only usually at lunch and tea) that I have extra protein, so on a Monday I have a herbalife peanut protein bar (I think these are 19g protein) about 2 hrs before I pole and a higher protein tea afterwards then on thursay I have a high protein tea before pole with a 25g whey protein shake 15 min before, then if I have had a proper hard workout and feel peckish I have one of the herbalife pro bars instead of being tempted to snack on other bad stuff. The bonus to the herbalife peanut pro bars is they taste like a choc bar not a pro bar so for someone like me who likes a choc bar, I feel like I have had one 🙂 

I find that if I have extra protein I dont get DOMS (muscle ache) worse in the following days which my fella says, more protein means quicker recovery/repair rate, hence more protein is less pain 🙂 

I have also cut back on my carbs (30g for lunch max and 40g for tea) and upped the veg and protein at meal times. Unfortunately I struggle to cut back on the alcohol / goodies at weekend, but 5/7 days is trying hard enough in my books! 

I havent gained size, I have actually lost about 2 inch around my waist since I began poling in October 2011, but I also have some nice muscles showing up especially considering the only weight training I did until 2 weeks ago was pole twice a week with the occasional push up/crunch between. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• Suzara

July 1, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Thanks for the post re: protein.  I'll have to add more protein into my diet to help my muscle growth and reduce the muscle ache that I often get 🙂    I am a gluten free gal and have cut most all grains from my diet.  I try to eat some rice at some time during each week (no white) and I eat oatmeal at least 4 days each week.  But have noticed I can't eat many grain carbs without putting on weight.  I finally feel like I'm getting stronger and can practice on the pole more often. I have not heard of a protein tea, any recommendations?

• ShonaLancs

July 1, 2012 at 3:00 pm

By protein tea I meant my evening meal, we call that 'tea' where I live, as in breakfast, dinner and tea (your 3 meals a day!) sorry for confusion! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• Suzara

July 1, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Hah, I wondered why I haven't heard of it!  Cheers 🙂

• sundcarrie

July 7, 2012 at 10:51 am

I think it depends on how much protein you eat already. If you already eat a lot don't force yourself to eat more. I find that I do better with more protein but I don't force protein down if I am not feeling the need for it. 

If I am at home I make a meal replacement shake after a rough work out and if I am away I take a pack of nuts with me to get me through until I get home. I don't go to class with protein shakes although we do have a fridge and I tend to take a greek yogurt with me on Thursdays because I have 1.5 house of pole then an hour of Latin dance with a half hour break. 

If your feel really weak you may need to up the protein but you don't have to go crazy unless your trying to look like a body builder. I have a female friend who is a body builder and she eats a TON of protein but she has lost all the feminine curves in her body and I don't want that. so I while I try to choose food high in protein before and after a work out I don't try to eat as much protein as I can in a day. 

If you don't eat a lot of protein in a normal day you might want to try foods with a higher protein content. I used to eat a yogurt almost every day because it seems to help with my digestion and I found that Greek yogurt tastes great and offers a much higer protein content so I switched. Look for foods you like that have higher proteing content. There are even breakfast cerals that have a high protein content.