StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Quitting Smoking Finally!

• J Harris

May 23, 2013 at 10:29 am

I think quitting smoking has improved my life in many ways! Not just pole dancing.

• Tamarinda

May 23, 2013 at 11:01 am

I've been smoking a pack a day since I was 16. When I first got my pole I read somewhere that smoking really hurts your flexibility and strength. So I quit for a month a half. That's the best I ever did in my life and I have made many attempts. About three weeks ago I started again because people happened. I noticed my flexibility progress wasn't steadily increasing anymore and actually seems to be regressing. And of course my breathing isn't as easy. I really want to quit. I am definitely going to try acupuncture once my funds get stable again.

I have one question when you guys quit did you have any strange side effects… I was fine the first week (other than wanting to kill everyone, and very tired) but once week two hit my face broke out like it never had in my life. My face was a greasy oily mess. I was also bloated like crazy I looked pregnant. I know this is TMI but I really need other people's opinion if they went though things too. I was constipated it seemed to screw up my whole digestive system. I ate fiber and took natural supplements even  took laxatives when that didn't work and even that did nothing I thought I was going to have to go the doctor (No health insurance right now so that's a problem.) I was getting ill because of this. When I started smoking again all the acne, bloating, and constipation went awayhttps://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif. What the heck. (I can't believe I am posting this on a public forum Smh)

Please someone tell me I am not a freak of nature and they dealt with strange side effects too. I am going to make another quitting attempt soon cuz I just feel better without it.

Does acupuncture lesson these side affects?

Also how do you deal with living with smokers when you are trying to quit?

• Storypole17

May 23, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I go through the exact same thing! Acne, bloating, constipation…it sucks! And the longest time I quit – which was 8 months – it never went away!!! I’ve tried cold turkey and the patch. That’s what I’m wondering too – if these other “alternative” methods help alieviate these side effects. Everyone that has quit kept telling me that I would feel so much better after a month or so of quitting, but even after 8 months, I still felt awful! It was like my body was so pissed off at me for quitting and was holding a grudge :-P. I know this might be a controversial thing to say, but I do believe I read that cigarettes do actually help the digestive tract. I obviously know it does way more harm, but it does keep you regular lol!

• DharmaDancer

May 24, 2013 at 10:51 am

I struggled with the smoking/quitting seesaw for way too long, tried everything you all have mentioned. Now I use the Logic brand electronic cigarette, which delivers nicotine via water vapor with zero products of combustion. I haven’t touched a cigarette since the day I bought a Logic in January. I did gain eight pounds but I lost them quickly by some easy diet modification. Nicotine is only harmful to use while pregnant. For everyone else, it’s a stimulant like caffeine, that can temporarily elevate heart rate and blood pressure. However, I think the Logic has saved my life. My partners on the ambulance all used to be chain smokers like me, and all but one has completely quit cigarettes and only use the Logic. Would it be better to not even use that, and quit nicotine entirely? Perhaps, but I have zero irritability and frankly I really just enjoy using it!

• Tamarinda

May 24, 2013 at 11:29 am

Wow storypole, I can't believe you went through that for 8 months. I only went a month and a half and it was a major blow to my self-esteem. I can only imagine how you felt. After a while, mentally I felt better. But physically after week two hit it was bad. I kept waiting for it to plateau and taper down. It just kept getting worse.

As someone stated earlier you learn something with each quitting attempt. My next try I'm going to buy natural supplements for my skin, and digestive health. I'm going to find out the right things to eat, the right way to care for greasy skin. I read somewhere when you quit that your testosterone levels spike and causes acne(??). I have good skin normally and I don't know how to properly care for greasy skin and I guess I am going to have to treat my skin as such for a while… I am also going to try this acupuncture thing people speak of… I hope it reduces some of these side effects…

People say as long as you get over the three day hump you are fine (LIES!!)… I guess everyone is different…

• untamedshrew

May 24, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I quit smoking almost a year and a half ago, after being diagnosed with COPD: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Usually heavy smokers get that diagnosis in their 60s or 70s, but I'm an overachiever and it hit me at 40, probably spurred on by mono. I'd be lying if I said it's easy. I gave myself permission to do whatever I wanted, besides smoke. I started drinking pots of green tea (teavana) everyday. I've put on about 30 pounds. Sadly, my lung function has not really improved and I still get winded after 1 flight of stairs.  I still have moments when I'm really stressed and crave a cigarette. Especially when I think about the fact that I'll probably never get to hike the Grand Canyon or Appalachian Trail. That's not all the lungs' fault, I have a knee giving out now, too. Here's your quitting motivation: don't become me.

• Dwiizie

May 24, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I had some lingering side effects, but I think they had more to do with the onset of depression as I was quitting smoking rather than the lack of nicotine itself. I was soooo depressed, and of course you want a smoke when you're crying your eyes out and nothing makes it better and you're just getting fatter and who cares that you smoke anyway because all your friends smoke you are suddenly "healthy helen" and you thought you would get rewarded by "not having to stand out in the cold to smoke anymore" but really you just have a smoke free home and the whole party moves outside every hour. It was really hard socially. I don't think nicotine kept me any more regular than caffeine but I have a friend who has unsuccessfully tried to quit and she will smoke to be able to poop. I think pot does a better job of that. I really hope that everyone who wants to quit can overcome the BS that comes along with it. <3 

• Yanille79

May 28, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I’m a smoker .. I smoke like. A chimney.. I want to be healthier and want to quit as I’ve been a smoker for over 15 years .. Gonna try tomorrow. Cuz I know that will help me in the long run .. Not only
    To prevent cancer but to exercise more and without getting sob. Congrats gonna try tomorrow . Wish me luck!

• kmccool

May 29, 2013 at 1:45 am

Good for you guys who are quitting or have quit. I quit after only after year and a half of smoking. I quit cold turkey. I smoked just because I was bored and it was enjoyable to do with friends but when I moved back into my mothers non-smoking house I just stopped. Once in a while I got a craving and would busy myself with another activity.

• Judy Jovanelly

May 29, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Hey Brumby ! This is great news — I did it 6 years ago, with the incentive of my hubby promising a nice gift. Best thing I ever ever did !!! Do you have a way to really super reward yourself or have someone who would do it for you? Having that carrot on a stuck really helped me in weaker moments. I also upped my water intake, and had a little mantra for myself “no thanks, I don’t smoke” which I said to myself . Good luck you can totally do it because you really are ready now!

• untamedshrew

May 30, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I second the idea of rewarding yourself. I bought myself a little gift every month for the first year, usually something I didn't need, an indulgence like jewelry or shoes. At one year, I  got a very nice watch.

Page 2 of 2