StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Racheal Ray talks about poling accident

• Maria-Elena Kadala

November 7, 2010 at 5:37 pm

If the man was close enough to get kicked, he was endangering the dancer’s safety … he needs to be sued!

• Climbing Ivy

November 7, 2010 at 7:32 pm

it was featured on NBC too, apparently it occured during a lap dance, not pole, and the guy’s eye socket was broken https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_surprised.gif . also – it was settled with the company, not the dancer. I would think it would have been a harder case if he walked into somebody’s foot (spinning or not), but the guy was paying her to sit on his lap, so the court said he had an "expectation of safety".

• chemgoddess1

November 7, 2010 at 9:38 pm

There have been several lawsuits over the years against strippers. I recall one a few years back regarding a shoe flying off (non-ankle) and injuring a customer. There was one when a gut was injured during a lap dance and also one here in Ohio where 2 strippers went after each other with their shoes.

This one is sketchy as a few stories that I have read have stated different "facts". One said she plain out kicked him purposely. Bottom line is that he has damaged vision for the rest of his life. This happened 2 years ago and ended up suing because the insurance company of the club refused to pay. He has undergone surgery to his face and eyes.

WEST PALM BEACH — A man has sued the Cheetah nightclub and a stripper, alleging he was badly injured when she struck him in the face with her leg or foot while he was seated at a bar.

Michael Ireland was at Cheetah on Sept. 28, 2008, when he was struck "suddenly and without warning" by Sakeena Shageer, according to the negligence suit filed last week by litigator Lake Lytal III against Shageer and Cheetah’s parent company, Casablanca East LLC.

Shageer, 28, – also known by her stage name "Suki" – is a registered exotic dancer in Palm Beach County, records show. In her 2004 application for a permit, she described herself as 5-foot-1 and 118 pounds.

Lytal believes Shageer spun around and struck Ireland in the face with her shoe. Even if it was an accident, he said, Ireland, a local businessman, was seriously injured in the incident at the suburban West Palm Beach nightclub.

Ireland suffered broken bones around his eye and in his nose and now has permanent double vision, Lytal said. Ireland has had one surgery and needs another.

Lytal said he was forced to sue after Cheetah’s insurance carrier refused to pay damages.

"We’re hopeful the club’s insurance company will still do the right thing," Lytal said.

Shageer did not return a call seeking comment. Joe Rodriguez, the registered agent of Casablanca East LLC, also did not return a call. Michael Ireland could not be reached for comment.

Strip club lawsuits that have made headlines have centered on the hazard of sky-high platform shoes strippers frequently wear.

Last year in New York, a man sued after a stripper giving him a lap dance swiveled and smacked him in the face with her shoe. A Broward man sued after a woman’s stiletto flew off during a pole dance, shattering a mirror and cutting him.

Lytal said he has yet to depose the dancer and has no idea what kind of shoes she was wearing. "But we will certainly be inquiring," he said.

According to a Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office report filed after the incident, Shageer acknowledged being atop the bar at the time, Lytal said. But he’s unsure whether she was dancing.

"Although I’m not sure what else she would be doing," Lytal said.

• joni1

November 8, 2010 at 1:03 am

At Racheal Ray show that I watch said the man sued the stripper and won. Another news article I read said the man sued the club because she lap danced for him flairing her leg around when she accidently kicked him and another said he sued the club cuz she was acting negligent dancing on top of the bar and did a floor spin when she struck him accidenty with her heel. It is a bit all over the pace with the story but the bottom line is she damaged his eye badly dancing with her heel and he is awarded $650.000 for it.

• whatup

November 8, 2010 at 1:28 am

Oh boo hoo, lawsuits like these give lawyers a bad name! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

• chemgoddess1

November 8, 2010 at 11:48 am

I don’t understand how having to have cosmetic surgery and having your vision f-ed up for the rest of your life is a frivolous lawsuit. This was a forceful blow that broke bone that I really cannot see happening during a lap dance.

The article that I quoted was written 1+ years ago.

The guy is also a roofer so basically he is unable to perform his job.

Again I ask, how is this frivolous?

• whatup

November 8, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I didn’t see the show so I didn’t know the damages. Now that I know more about the facts that figure makes sense. Anyway, I didn’t mean to start an argument on this forum (I’m an attorney myself, I do enough of that at court!) https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif Good for him that he recovered a decent settlement from the establishment where it took place. And I just joined this forum 1 month ago, so I just saw this post. It was so mundane to the other lawyers where I work, no one even mentioned it. I guess there are a lot more things happening in the news now, like the election for example, the miners in Chile, the economy….and I never used the word "frivolous"! I just heard that a man in a go-go bar was hit in the eye with a shoe when the news first broke, I didn’t know the full extent of his injuries, I don’t watch Rachel Rey-she’s a chef turned talk show host! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_chef.gif

• chemgoddess1

November 8, 2010 at 5:40 pm

My comments were not aimed directly at you. The whole thread seemed like this man never should have sued. From the old articles it looked like he tried working with Cheetah on the issues and they basically told him too bad. He ended up suing but then they eventually settled out of court knowing that he probably would have received a larger sum had it gone to trial. I am sure that the articles that are current follow the standard sensationalistic syle of writing that is so prevalent lately….. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

Page 2 of 2