StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Right and left side, different anatomy?

• Right and left side, different anatomy?

Posted by CrazyKosters on August 16, 2013 at 6:13 pm

So I have noticed since I was younger that my left and right sides of my body are a little different ( most peoples are) but I feel like this gets in the way of certain things and causes injury. My right hip tends to rotate down a little, and this caused an injury when I was in the army 10 years ago that I am now finally overcoming. I feel like this is contributing to my popping hips and knees. When I do push-ups, my shoulders pop, mostly my right. I can do a TG handspring with my left arm on top but can't for the life of me even get in a comfy position to do it with right hand on top even though i train both sides. When I stretch for splits its a lot easier on one side than the other but it's really hard to keep my hips square. I can do the splits with my right leg forward although not consistently at all. Is there any way to fix some of these issues by stretching or some other means? Anyone try ROLFING and did it work? I feel like this is an issue for me being consistent on both sides. Ive had a chiro and pt tell me sometimes my legs are uneven in length.. Although i have always been 5'3" and now I am 5'4" yay! (from working on core and back) Anyone else have these issues?

CrazyKosters replied 11 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Koidragon

August 16, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I don't have the same issues, but certainly some strange idiosyncrasies – one of my collar bones has either an extra bit of bone or the other is missing some, which means I can only really shoulder mount on one side without crunching bone. Also, I had hyper extensive shoulders which meant that in the beginning I could not take my weight on one shoulder at a time (so no split grip at all, and a lot of moves were out). I have done exercises though which now have helped – it means I have very tight and possibly over muscular shoulders, but I can do more things with pole, so I am not complaining 🙂  Also, due to tendonitis in my wrists, I can't physically twist my wrist in a certain direction to get some moves – one of my instructors just simply says "there are some moves you may not be able to do, and some you probably won't, and that's ok". I think everyone tends to have moves they like, and moves they don't – some they can do and others that just always elude them or don't feel comfortable in. find what works for you and make it yours – but yes, I have found there are often ways to help heal/improve physical limitations of this nature.

I did see a chiropractor for a spine issue (old injury) who used a very particular style, which 'adjusted' the body the way the body moves naturally rather than against… this did a lot of good of me, but took a while, but other than that I haven't had any experience with something like rolfing.

• Jag5303

August 16, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I'm a Rolfing ADDICT! Plain and simple….it's THAT magical! They unlock your body, well…if you go to a good one.

You need to find a skilled Rolfer, so do your research. They usually recommend 10 sessions in order to bring your body back in to balance, then after that it's just maintenance, although I go more often just because my goals are different that most of his other clients. It can be expensive, but worth every last penny in my opinion! Best investment I've made in my body since I started poling. I wish I would have know about it 2yrs ago

• chemgoddess1

August 16, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Aerial Amy blogged about rolfing back in 2012.  I am hoping to find one here in NC.  I went to one session up in Ohio but I was not too thrilled with the set up so I never went back.  It was about $110 and I think if you are in a metro are it is closer to $200 a session.

http://aerialamy.com/blog/2012/01/13/rolfing/

• Jag5303

August 16, 2013 at 8:41 pm

What was the set up like? Was the place sketchy…or?? I'm just curious 🙂

• Lucca Valentine

August 16, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Rolfing is definitely amazing! As far as at home maintenance goes, try googling the iliopsoas muscle and maybe try some stretches for it. This muscle originates in your low back and then attaches to the very top of your thigh. It is one of the strongest hip flexors and very often overlooked. If this muscle gets tight it can throw all kinds of things out of whack, both upper and lower body. If Rolfing is available in your area, it would likely be a very good compliment to stretching. I broke my hip when I was younger so I feel your pain. An injury anywhere has long lasting repercussions, but the hip is definitely one that sticks with you. Being as conscious of movement as possible and stretch/foam rolling/practicing yoga regularly makes a world of difference for me personally. Whenever i kinda slack on that kind of maintenance, stuff definitely starts to hurt and feel unbalances and my shoulder starts to do funky things similar to what you describe. The iliopsoas is tight in many if not most people, injury or not, so might be worth a try!

• CrazyKosters

August 16, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Thanks for the info and replies! I posted a video of my tg progress today and mentioned in the description that I have pain when I try true grip or cup grip in my forearm but I don't get pain when I use the twisted grip unless I do it to much which I limit myself. Is that normal? I can't do it on the other side at all even though I train both sides. It's weird cause when I go to the chiro, my left side is always weaker until i get adjusted…. I wonder if my form is wrong for the other grips or maybe strength is an issue even though I have good upper body strength. I was thinking I was just weird… Any thoughts on if its body mechanics or form? Anyone else have issues with different grips? I will definately try rolfing! I am trying to be more aware of correct form and not being haphazard.

• CrazyKosters

August 16, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I have looked into the iliopsoas and stretch it all the time. My pt said it was not tight at all but my hips still pop and get stuck, so do my knees….It sucks!

• Jag5303

August 16, 2013 at 9:41 pm

It could be you nervous system not allowing muscles to fire and contract when they are suppose to. That was my issue, Rolfing helped it BIG time. So when the proper muscles aren't firing  and contracting when they are suppose to, other areas try to make up for the slack…. leading to all kind of issues, especially if your asking your body to do it often/repeatedly…like we polers do!

• Lucca Valentine

August 16, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Hmmm….if your nerves are a little compressed usually that may explain weakness until you get adjusted. If there is limited nerve conductivity to the muscles than there would only be so much it could contract. Most likely you’ve already tried working out IT band issues too? Foam rollers are seriously the poor mans Rolfing/myofascial work, such a worthwhile investment. It gets work DONE on IT band issues. Also the possibility the iliospoas could be weak on one side, less common but definitely happens. Rolfing may be one of your best options because even if you get adjustments if there is really deep fascial binding going on in your torso then your spine will just go back to where it was relatively quickly. Another common muscle that is tight and causes imbalance is subscapularis so that may be worth looking into/talking to a Chiro or Rolfer about. Pec minor is also a common culprit. Or also weakness in serratus anterior which you can find some exercises for online, but veena addresses it as well in the shoulder strengthening exercises. Not sure about the grip thing but it sounds like it could quite possibly be coming from the shoulder imbalance. Despite having good upper body strength, if there is compensation happening due to imbalance then injury will likely follow at some point. Do you have instructors to look at your grips or do you solely learn from home? Is your twisted grip comfortable on both sides? This makes me thing it may be serratus anterior (it’s action is basically the “jabbing” motion in boxing, which would make sense linking up to the shoulder popping since its the same motion). Let us know how the Rolfing goes when you try it out! You sound like the perfect candidate for it

• chemgoddess1

August 16, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Jag5303, the guy came in from out of town about once a month/every 6-8 weeks and set up in a hotel room.  A Super 8 to be exact.  

• Lucca Valentine

August 16, 2013 at 10:19 pm

http://www.rolf.org/find

Resource to find rolfers in your area, but checking out online reviews is always a good idea too.

• CrazyKosters

August 16, 2013 at 10:20 pm

I will def look into those other muscle groups and it makes total sense about the nerves. I do stretch my pecs and shoulders, strengthening, etc.. I think I def need to try rolfing. I have had so much problems in the past with injuries from being imbalanced on my right and left sides. The army injury really did a number on me as well, I was always putting more weight on one side than the other for years…Might take years to fix but i hope not! I am a very stubborn and determined personality type and it doesn't help that I have a high pain tolerance so i may be exacerbating injuries by not recognizing some pains as injury instead of thinking it's just normal pains. I am becoming more aware though and any pain i feel, I quit what i'm doing right away.

• CrazyKosters

August 16, 2013 at 10:21 pm

@chemgoddess- Wow, sounds a little weird lol, I wouldn't want to do that either

• Lucca Valentine

August 16, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Looking at your pics it’s obvious you are a tough and determined cookie. You’ll get this worked out, you are asking the right questions, listening to your body, and have a great attitude. Plus, c’mon, you were in the army, clearly you are one strong and disciplined lady.

• CrazyKosters

August 16, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Thank you! I'm just like my father with being stubborn! although I never admitted it when i was younger lol. I just need to make sure I take it easy though…but it's hard!

Page 1 of 2

The forum ‘Discussions’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now