StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Rockstar & Pretzel Spins.. are they really spinning??

• Rockstar & Pretzel Spins.. are they really spinning??

Posted by CalBear on August 11, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Hi,

I am trying to teach  myself the pretzel and rockstar spins, but I don't have a spinning pole yet. While looking at these moves on YouTube.. I'm not sure if they can only be created on a spinning pole? Esp the rockstar? Looks like you  need the momentum of the polespin pulling you out to hold the spin?? Actually, I'm not even sure if they're on a spinning pole or a stationary pole.. just looks like they're on a spinning pole?

DaniDuB replied 13 years, 2 months ago 17 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

August 11, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Karol teaches the rockstar in her workshops and it is not on a spinny pole.  Check out Sarah Cretuls videos for how she uses the pretzel.  I do not believe that she uses spin either.

• dustbunny

August 11, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Pretzel can be done on either, I've only seen the rockstar done on spinny but that doesn't mean it can't be done on static. 🙂

• Danielle Tillie

August 11, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Both of them can be done on both static and spin mode. Obviously you'll need to create much more momentum on static to get around the pole enough times to look awesome. I prefer the pretzel on static and the rockstar on spinny, but it's all personal preference. 🙂

• Danielle Tillie

August 11, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Both of them can be done on both static and spin mode. Obviously you'll need to create much more momentum on static to get around the pole enough times to look awesome. I prefer the pretzel on static and the rockstar on spinny, but it's all personal preference. 🙂

• NerdasaurusJess

August 11, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I learned pretzel on a static because is can also be a hold. Rockstar can be done on a stationary it is just more dramatic on a spinning pole 🙂

• Sassafrassle

August 12, 2011 at 12:29 am

I don't use a spinny pole very often so I've only done those two spins on static. In my experience, you won't spin much once you're actually in the pretzel position on static – it's kinda, legs go out, hook round pole, spin out again. Rock star is much like a combo of sunwheel and vixen spins (I don't know what other people call this one – like a fireman but with one leg straight) so you get as much spin on static as you would for those.

• CalBear

August 12, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Hi,

I  only found one video online where the prezel is done on a stationary pole.. and it looks like you have to dismount really quickly??  Otherwise, would you get hurt somehow w/ the twist? @chemgoddess, would you be able to send me the link of sarah teaching it on a static pole?

And w/ the rockstar spin,  you have to hook your foot up much higher than you do w/ a regular fireman spin? That's what it looks like online..

• Finreah

August 12, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I think of rockstar on static as an atiitude spin with one leg up, you have to really open your hip for it. So you have your hooked leg in kind of an attitude pose and then you lift the free leg up. It takes time and you should diffently try it on both sides. I started out by doing it with the free leg low, more like a attitude extended leg spin and gradually worked up to resting my knee against the pole. Oh and you need to lean back more then you do in attitude or extended leg spins so you have room to lift your leg up.

• sexygyrl

August 12, 2011 at 11:03 pm
  • CalBear

August 12, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Yah, I watched that youtube video… so you have to quickly dismount/step off the pole if you do the pretzel on a stationary pole?

• sexygyrl

August 12, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I think so. I haven’t ever tried it. I have decided that I will probably do my first few attempts spinny though.

• sexygyrl

August 12, 2011 at 11:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqqqY5HnCXg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Or, maybe not…here she is again, appears static. Hope this helps

• OopseyDaisey

August 13, 2011 at 2:56 am

When I do a pretzel on static, I either drop into middle splits at the end (you could do a yoga pigeon/half split, too) or bring the free leg down to the ground behind the other (like a curtsey–a real curtsey, like to the Queen or something) and come up to standing.

• MissMegi77

August 13, 2011 at 5:46 am

I found this,

http://poledancedictionary.com/moves/248/rockstar/

looks like static rockstar. 😀

• Veena

Administrator
    August 13, 2011 at 8:49 am

You can do both on either spin or static. The entry however will be different!!!! You have to use momentum and timing to do ANY kind of spin on a static pole….spins on a spinny pole are just holds https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

I just posted a vid with the rockstar in it on STATIC you can even see it from 2 angles if your interested its around min 1:15 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=php2HBPff8Q&feature=channel_video_title

Page 1 of 2