StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Sitting on the pole

• Sitting on the pole

Posted by Lisa on February 8, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Hi, I’m a newbie, and I’m trying to sit on the pole (just a basic sit). But everytime I do it I slide right down the pole! My legs are quite strong because I’m also a horseback rider, so I don’t think it’s a grip strength issue. My pole is a 50 mm and it isn’t greasy or anything. Is there something I’m missing? https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_scratch.gif All the videos I’ve seen say that the friction between your thighs and the pole will hold you up, but it’s not working for me….

glitterhips replied 15 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • yogabeachbabe

February 8, 2009 at 9:16 pm

I also had problems with sitting on the pole. A couple of things helped me: 1) cleaning the pole, 2) warming up the pole (did lots of spins beforehand), 3) wearing supershort shorts, and 4) internally rotating my thighs. Once I’m there, I sit there until my inner thighs start shaking! I hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

• Lisa

February 8, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I just tried what you suggested about rotating the inner thighs, and it definitely helped! I still can’t grip the pole enough to hold myself up, but maybe that’s just practice? Is it supposed to hurt like hell?

• yogabeachbabe

February 9, 2009 at 2:45 am

I’m sure the advanced girls will have loads of great advice-everyone is really helpful here. But I swear it gets less painful over time. There are lots of times I can’t get that grip with my thighs and I slide right down the way you’re describing. When I REALLY can’t get it, I shrug it off & try again the next day. Sometimes it’s more about your body chemistry and the weather than strength or technique. I’m sure you’ll be writing about your success in no time at all.

• Lisa

February 9, 2009 at 3:24 am

Thank you sooooooo much for your advice and encouragement!!! I’ve been browsing through the forums here, and everyone is so helpful and encouraging! It’s such a great environment to foster a love of this sport!

• Poledancefan

February 9, 2009 at 2:16 pm

If all else fails, try a little bit of 7-up (regular, not diet–it HAS to be sugar). Pour out a tiny little bit on a wash cloth and rub it on your thighs and shins. Wait for it to dry. It’s ridiculously sticky.

ALso, while not graceful for female polers in the begining, try hooking the bottom foot on the pole and CURLING it upwards–instead of the ballet style pointed toes look. That will add a little grip surface down at the bottom.

Lean forward as much as possible. Wear a sleeveless top, halter, or sports bra. There is a tiny little bit of contact area you can "steal" right at the the "clavicle" pit–the fleshy part between the shoulder ball and the pecs. (Not sure what ladies call this part of the body, LOL!)

Joel

• velocity

February 10, 2009 at 2:39 pm

I noticed this a bit when I was first starting to do this. I have a Lil Mynx and I do some of the stuff described above like clean the pole and warm it up. But I have also noticed if I am straight out of the shower, I cant grip the pole with my thighs to save my life!! Its almost like I need some oil on my skin to help grip?? I also use a small amount of Dry Hands if I am really having a bad day. Another thing that works for my pole (which might not work since mine is powder/clear coated) is I take a damp wash cloth and dab my inner thighs and let it dry. Im telling you, when I do that, I stick so much it hurts!!! Weird I know. And yes, it hurts like hell. I still havent fully gotten over the pain, but it has gotten slightly better. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif Happy Practicing!

• glitterhips

February 10, 2009 at 8:06 pm

I agree with yogabeachbabe, definitely make sure your pole is warm. Also, some might consider this cheating but you can wear a pair of pleather/pvc boots to start off with so you can sit on the pole and just get a feel for what it’s like and then it might be easier to do it without them. I learned a lot of moves this way, then moved on to wearing "stripper" shoes, and now I can everything barefoot with just normal skin contact. Good luck!

• Lisa

February 10, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Yay! An excuse to buy awesome boots! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• glitterhips

February 11, 2009 at 12:39 am

I ‘ve found Pleaser is a very good brand that can take a bit of a beating..I have a pair of over the knee pleather boots of theirs that I love and they were less than $50 on Amazon! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif And I’m always down for any excuse to buy new shoes lol