StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Slippery pole?

• Slippery pole?

Posted by glitterhips on January 11, 2009 at 3:52 am

I have an X-pole and some days it’s okay but other days it’s soooo slippery! I went to work out today and I couldn’t do any inverted moves because I slid right down as soon as I got myself upside down. It’s even hard to grip it for spins without my hands sliding all over the place. What do you guys do to help this so you can have a productive workout? I’ve been using my boots when it’s this slippery but I’d rather not since I feel like it’s cheating but right now it’s the only solution I can think of. If I rub the pole down with alcohol it helps for a few minutes but it goes right back to being slippery…gah! Help please!

glitterhips replied 15 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • pole-twista

January 11, 2009 at 5:17 am

My Tips on Keeping Pole Dry

wash your hands before using the pole i personally find using hot water and a drying soap like dish liquid or a harsher soap than what you would use on your body as it really takes the oils (natraul or from product) off your hands remeber oil and water don’t mix so to if you use cool water and a creamy type soap, your not going to have the driest hands you could have

keep your hands off your face/hair you can transfer oils from product, sweat, ect to hands and pole this way
    use a seprate towel for pole and yourself if you want to go the extra mile you can have 1 just for your hands

take a minute to rest as often as needed to prevent getting over heated which will cause you to not only sweat more, but also produce more oil as you get fitter you will need to rest less often

keep something nearby such as cheap vodka to wipe your hands with i find for myself it works better than just using dry towel you only need a little bit and remember to make sure you completely dry hands after

try not to over-grip beginners tend to do it more often as the more often you do a move the more confident in in and less likely to be gripping the pole for dear life grip as hard as you need to to feel secure, but keep in mind over-gripping will cause you to produce more oil/sweat

wear clothes that allow your skin to breath and be sure you are comfortable in what you are wearing if your sucking things in to fit in it, or if it’s tight knit material you will be more likely to sweat

try using the ac or a fan to help keep you cool

don’t forget to stay hydrated keep cold water nearby (basically the cooler you can keep yourself the less oil/sweat you will produce)

wipe your pole with vodka/windex as often as needed on some days depending on heat/humidity ect the pole will need to be wiped every 5mins or more in better conditions you may not need to wipe it down nearly as often

I hope you found atleast some of this helpful https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_sunny.gif

• azriel

January 11, 2009 at 1:56 pm

that’s great advice pole-twista! grippiness is also better when the pole is warmed up- i always slip if the pole is cold. also, someone here had said that taking a hot shower right before using the pole helps in making your skin stickier.

• pole-twista

January 11, 2009 at 5:12 pm

the hot shower made sese same as i said with washing hands with hot water it strips your natrual oils thats why they say don’t take hot showers b/c it’s very drying to skin good thing for a good grip https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_thumright.gif

• LittleMissLola

January 11, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Yeah, the winter is horrible for poling, cold poles slip so badly. I have been known to (after cleaning my pole with vodka) get a nice hot, hot water bottle and rub it up and down the pole, grips it up a treat.

I love Dry Hands grip, but of course you shouldn’t get over-reliant on it

• glitterhips

January 11, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Thanks everyone! I will try rubbing it with a hot water bottle and try to keep myself as dry as possible too…I had heard about the grip enhancing stuff but I didn’t want to try it in case I did get too reliant on it. I will report back with the results of everything hehehe. Happy poling https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif