StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Social Media

• Social Media

Posted by Veena on February 15, 2016 at 10:03 pm

I’m guessing this won’t be a super popular post, but I’m hoping the people who need to see this will.

I know SV is a dance and fitness website but this video applies to what we as lovers of movement probably encounter daily. Even multiple times a day, we follow other dancers on social media in hopes of learning new things, finding more friends, getting more followers and so on. But here’s the thing, what you see every day isn’t reality…you almost always ONLY see the best and most amazing aspects of peoples pole work, tricks, flexibility and so on. Please watch if you’ve ever felt down about your abilities or popularity. https://www.facebook.com/DeceptionExpert/videos/512151448966713/?pnref=story

bformosa922163 replied 8 years, 7 months ago 7 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Phoenix Hunter

February 15, 2016 at 11:12 pm

So true! Thank you for sharing! I feel good about posting my crappy stuff and sharing my honest feelings as well as posting my amazing things. It’s funny, I’ve noticed that if I’m really honest about how I wasn’t feeling great about something people are very kind to give support. Sometimes I think I might sound really down when I’m not. But I realize it’s because people are not used to that kind of honesty. I have days of feeling like crap, looking like crap but it’s not a big deal to me because it passes. I love posting crappy dance/ trick videos or pics because it’s fun to post good ones later when you’ve improved. I learned so much from Joel posting his videos on YouTube when I first started pole. He showed progression. Of him struggling and then eventually getting a move. It was a lightbulb moment for me because I felt like everything else I was seeing was so perfect. It was nice to see someone struggle and come out on the other side . We are all multi faceted humans and are not just a picture or a video . We are complex thinking beings. 🙂

• Skullpixie

February 15, 2016 at 11:28 pm

Wow that’s a great video a must watch! And so true 💜

• Rachel Osborne

February 16, 2016 at 1:05 am

Good video. It can be so disheartening to go through IG and watch everyone being amazing.

Sometimes it bums me out and overwhelms me, more often it is inspiring. I post a lot on IG – it’s my creative hobby, my training record and looking at my pole and yoga gallery and my progress gives me a great sense of instant achievement that really helps me when I feel down about my life. It’s been a privilege to connect with so many amazing, motivated, motivational dancers and yogis and it’s been an amazing resource for me. However I have got a bit burned out and overtrained taking on too many challenges and not allowing recovery time.

I assume everyone is posting their best bits on IG. Personally I love it when people share the struggle and I like to post my fails and my falls too. I also always assume everyone doesn’t have a perfect life. My day to day life is often lonely and exhausting and very repetitive – the flying pole spinning sparkly disco lights world of Tropical Vertical is my escape hatch. Do I want to talk about my day to day struggles on social media? Nope. It’s my happy place. I assume if I see someone whose social media world is nonstop marvellousness that they are probably like me, doing what I do to keep going.

I really only want to use social media for pole and yoga and movement inspo and connections. I am trying to discreetly block and unfriend non polers on FB but it’s such a social mine field, people seem to take it personally! I just don’t want to share pole stuff with school gate mothers etc! It doesn’t mean I hate them, it just means I want to use my social media for my hobby and nothing else! Argh!

• Phoenix Hunter

February 16, 2016 at 1:17 am

Very true. Facebook and here is my happy place. Like you tropical vertical I don’t assume that people have perfect lives. I don’t follow other polers on social media . I only post my own stuff and watch videos here. I feel glad that I haven’t experienced the disappointment of trying to keep up with others. I stay very narrow in my focus and try to only compare myself to myself. I know when I see amazing videos that it took that person probably years of hard work to get to that point.

• Rachel Osborne

February 16, 2016 at 2:46 am

I don’t think of SV as social media – this is like my virtual studio where I get to hang out with lovely pole obsessed people and it’s all safe and 💜💜✨✨💜💜

• Phoenix Hunter

February 16, 2016 at 2:48 am

Yep, I don’t consider SV social media either. It’s more private and close here. 🙂 my safe place

• Serzi

February 16, 2016 at 3:16 am

I quit fb awhile back. I started to get extremely depressed to the point where I felt physically ill and angry most of the time. What it was turned out to be was the constant ego-slinging bs I became a part of. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. It really brought out the worst in me and I can’t say I’ve missed it much.

There are a few people who I stay in touch w/ but, for the most part, I’ve realized fb is just one big ego stroke. I was tired of wasting my energy trying to make friends or be equal to people who only want FANS without offering any positive support in return. There are plenty of polers more worth my time (and $, I may add) who have influence without casting their shadow over others. The absolute worst is when you see everybody fighting to be the #1 fangirl, realize how stupid and pointless it all is, and then see how you tagged along just like the rest of them.

Screw that. Let’s pole!

• Serzi

February 16, 2016 at 3:23 am

PS On that note, I’d like to add that I’ve always loved how I can participate on SV even when I can’t afford a paid membership. This site has been my sanctuary for about seven years now.

• dustbunny

February 16, 2016 at 11:54 pm

I could be wrong but I think Aerial Amy posted about this not long ago too. Maybe a blog on her site or something?
    It is such an important message to spread, and I post plenty of fails or funny bits too. Life is too short to take seriously people, let’s all laugh at ourselves and support each other, not the other way around okay!

• bformosa922163

February 17, 2016 at 12:25 am

Very true.

I was reading an article the other day similar to this topic but about weight loss progression photos on social media.. It showed two photos of the same girl at a 30 second interval.
    She was just in two different poses. When her posture was firm, she looked leaner.

I used to get so easily discouraged but took a social media detox and it was the best decision. I felt like a weight just lifted off my shoulders.. Unfortunately hopped back on the social media bandwagon. I think I need to do another social media detox.