StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Spinning in Shorts (and Lessons!)

• Spinning in Shorts (and Lessons!)

Posted by Runemist34 on February 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Hey guys, I've got a little question! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

For those of you who do more advanced moves that require the wearing of shorts, do you ever find that spinning becomes a very difficult thing, with all that bare skin? I'm finding this a problem. I don't want to have to switch pants and shorts every time my routine demands I either spin or climb (also, that's not sexy…https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cop.gif&nbsp😉 and I could see this being totally impossible if one were to perform somewhere.

Sooo…how do you do it? Say, you just finished a beautiful aerial combo, came down, and want to do a spin…how do you accomplish a front hook, back hook, or fire man spin without going really slow, taking off a bunch of skin, or just stopping partway through because your legs are like "Nope! We're too sticky, you can't spin! Haha!"  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_rambo.gif

Also, as a side note…I TOTALLY JUST GOT VEENA'S LESSONS! I figure I'll give them a go for a month, as I discovered I still have $20 left. Obviously, not enough time to get into the advanced stuff, but I figure…if I've got the strength moves and the beginner/intermediate down better, perhaps I can move on later, when I'm ready…and by then, hopefully I'll have a bit more money! 🙂

dustbunny replied 13 years, 7 months ago 12 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

February 2, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I have very little leg contact in any of my spins, but I also learned them all wearing shorts.  I think it is just like when people have death grip…you just kind of learn the proper form to make it happen.

• kat pole princess

February 2, 2011 at 5:55 pm

i am by no means an advanced poler but ive always used shorts.  my former instructor demanded it.   the shorter the better (vs boyshorts),.  so that the skin gets use to it.  and even made us do pole sits w shorts.  quite the eye opener.  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif  but u get use to it.  another instructor suggested spreading shaving cream on ur inner thighs but  i personally did not like that idea. 

and arent the lessons here great!!!  so helpful!!!!

• muffin85

February 2, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I have always poled in boyshort undies bought a sz larger than normal so they r short but not so "cheeky."  I cant really think of a spin where my thighs came into contact with the pole and got stuck b/c they were exposed….are you positive u r using proper form on the spins that are giving u trouble?

• Runemist34

February 2, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Hey ladies,

I can understand the "you get used to it" thing, and I suppose, yes, you would get used to it. I'm not normally into dancing with just shorts, as I started dancing a long time ago in pants, and have thus moved to capris…so I guess I'm progressing 😛

Usually, when I spin, I find that even my calves stick. I mean, a fireman spin is much harder for me when in shorts, as my knees make contact! A front hook spin (or back hook, for that matter) results in the backs of my knees sticking, and…well, pole burn isn't fun, even when it's minor!

I HAVE shorts, I use them for climbing, and I purchased them from a small dance clothing place here in town. They're super short, black, and if I didn't know better, I'd say they were some kind of heavy-duty underwear…just without the lining and with way better sewing. I only use them for climbing and whatnot, though, so that's why I asked.

• kat pole princess

February 2, 2011 at 7:24 pm

r u on a static or spinning pole? 

• Runemist34

February 2, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Kat: Totally static pole, chrome/stainless steel (I can never tell the difference!) and it's always humid here 😛

Oh yeah, and I forgot to add…yes! I've been looking them over, and the lessons are wonderful! I'll be working on them hardcore for the next month!

• luckylindyhopper

February 2, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Always poled in either short shorts that I used in my swing dancing days, bathing suit bottoms, or Pole Skivvies. I absolutely cannot pole in pants or capris. It just bothers me for some reason. Lol. And the studio I go to recommends shorts over pants and actually requires it for the intermediate and advanced classes.

• PoleKitten87

February 2, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I've always poled in shorts, never had much of a skin ripping issue yet during any spins. I've had bruising back when I started because I needed to learn to control my spin, but never had any skin contact tearing.

• Briannabohannah

February 2, 2011 at 9:58 pm

In classes sometimes our poles get sticky because the class before me does a lot of arial work and uses Dry Hands.  I find that simpling rubbing the pole down with alcohol makes that problem go away.  If you aren't already using the alcohol, perhaps your pole is just a little "dirty".

• EVamp83

February 3, 2011 at 3:38 am

I get what you mean! I learned my spins, actually all beginner moves in sweats. When I progressed to aerial work in shorts, I still put on long pants to do my spins, because I just found them painful without. I finally decided I had to learn everything in shorts when I had to do a performance that included both spins and aerial work. I really limited our group routine by needing to do all spins first, taking of the sweats, and then continue with the rest. So I slowly built up to spinning in shorts by forcing myself to do each spin in shorts at least once every practice. I soon progressed to twice a practice, and pretty soon I didn't even need to think about it anymore. It just takes some getting used to, with both the pain from friction, and friction itself. Take your time, practice lots, and you'll be fine.

• FreeTheSun

February 3, 2011 at 5:19 am

I know what you mean. I got so used to demoing spins in pants for some lessons that when I would switch back to shorts it was like "oh yeah, gotta loosen up a bit." So that is what you need to do. Fireman: keep the pole near the ankles and rely mostly on arms. Front and back hook: loosen up that death grip with your knee pit. Not tons but enough that you don't get stuck. Play aroudn with it and you'll get used to it.

• FreeTheSun

February 3, 2011 at 5:21 am

oh yeah and faster actually hurts less for me because the skin just get shoved by the pole so quick it can't really grip to hurt it.

• amy

February 3, 2011 at 10:18 am

hm. when i do my fireman, my ankles are the only parts of my legs touching the pole. when i do a front hook, my inside leg is not actually hooked on the pole, just placed there. and when i do a back hook, it's more the back of my lower thigh than my knee pit that is hooked.

i think taht the more that you work your spins with shorts, the more that you will realize which points of contact are appropriate and which aren't…

• polergirl

February 3, 2011 at 10:47 am

I'm the same as some others who've posted. My legs rarely make contact with the pole during spins anymore…. the exception being a dive/side spin, in which case no contact=falling immediatly to the floor.  😀

I bet as you practice spins in shorts you'll find your legs won't make as much contact as they are now. You're just used to being able to have full-on legs meeting pole because you can.

• dustbunny

February 3, 2011 at 11:32 am

It really is just a matter of loosening up the grip on your legs.  For the fireman, try crossing your ankles on the pole, but leave your knees just to the sides (like inches away from the pole) close, but not gripping.  Hook spins, just loosen that death grip.  But I do understand…I learned the cradle in pants, and when I first tried it in shorts it was soooo sticky and slow, pole burn big time!  But it doesn't bother me at all now, and I rarely ever use pants because I like to go up the pole too, not just spinning down.  My old instructor used to say, "The more you advance, and the higher you want to go, the less clothes you have to wear."  I never wear more than short shorts, and sometimes at home I just rip my jeans off and pole in whatever undies I happen to be wearing.  (Those practices never get posted though, lol)