StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Spinning like Sarah Cretul

• Spinning like Sarah Cretul

Posted by spinnygirl on February 20, 2011 at 11:07 am

Hi everyone!  I'm very new to pole dancing but I'm pretty strong and in the intermediate section of studio veena.

I've got a question about spinning-I'm being careful just as veena has instructed but when I watch videos like these with Sarah Cretul:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-ko6rX76r0&feature=related

I wonder how she is able to spin around the pole with her body angled so far away and doing it with one hand.  How do you grip and how do you build up the speed?  How do you switch hands so you don't end up wrapping around the pole?

Which of the lessons build you up to this level?

This is something I'd love to do but with my current spins, even with my good upper body strength, it seems impossible!

HannahElizabeth replied 13 years, 7 months ago 9 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Kobajo84

February 20, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Pole dancing is a completely different form of overall body exercise. Dancers like Sarah have been training their entire life. To get to a desired goal you have to have patience & persistence.  I have had a lot of people with great upper body strength try pole dancing only to discover their strength isn't what they thought it to be when needing to engage certain muscles. It's a process that develops your body over time.  Just stick to your goals & don't rush your body.  Every lesson is a valued learning experience, even the easy ones.

• Runemist34

February 21, 2011 at 1:45 am

I understand your curiosity, and your possible frustration…how can she do that? How does someone build up that kind of strength? Why can't I do that?

I've spent a long time looking up to people like this, so I'll warn you now: Set achievable goals for yourself, and don't just say "I want to be just like _____!" Because it may not be possible for you. On the flipside, you might be WAY better at something else that they aren't good at!

As for that video in particular, keep in mind she's a very tall person; she's got long arms and a long torso, so there may be some optical illusion there! She might look a lot farther away for someone with shorter arms, but for the way she's built, that might just be normal!

As for the one armed thing…just working on what you've got going on now. As Kobajo84 said, some of these people have been dancing for their whole lives (various kinds of dance, too) so they may already have the strength to build upon, whereas we may not. 

Keep doing what you're doing now. If you feel you are progressing At All, then you are going toward that mark. Having a large repertoire will allow you to have an even and balanced set of muscles to keep yourself going, and to achieve what you want to. 🙂

• chemgoddess1

February 21, 2011 at 7:43 am

Sarah is not tall…she might be 5'2" at the max so this is not an optical illusion.

I think a big part of it is lack of fear.  I look at girls like Rafaela Montenaro, Becca Butcher and JK (JK defies gravity) and am just in awe.  I even have a local guy who does stuff that just blows my mind (Mattcrobat).    Another part is pure skill and training.

I know that JK put out a video but I am not sure how good it really is at teaching her spins.  I also remember there was supposed to be a video coming out of the UK that just taught cool spins like this but I am not sure if it ever came out.  I vaguely remember a promo for it but cannot remember who was producing it.

• spinnygirl

February 21, 2011 at 8:23 am

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think I just became very impatient!  Usually I learn very quickly when it comes to sports and exercise and so its frustrating to feel so…newbie-ish.

I really pushed myself yesterday and felt all kinds of new muscle development.

So my conclusion is: continue (patiently) building up strength and push myself to be less scared (like Sarah).

Thanks again everyone! 

• spinnygirl

February 21, 2011 at 8:27 am

chem-goddess-

If you ever find the spinning video, would you send me a link? 

I'm only just getting started but I REALLY like the intense spins.

• Mary Ellyn

February 21, 2011 at 8:48 am

Another concept to understand is that no matter how strong you are, you have to learn to apply that strength to pole work. Just as pole dancers who take time off from pole, but maintain strength through other programs, lose some of their ability on the pole until they practice to get it back.

You have to learn how to use the pole, making your muscles work in different ways than you previously used them. Plus holding onto the pole is unlike anything you've ever done. For example, even if you can do chin ups on a chin up bar, it's not the same position for your hands and arms to do pull ups on a pole!

Everyone has a different learning curve…some are faster and some are sooner but the most important part is that you do it safely and enjoy the journey!

• Runemist34

February 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Chem…really? Are you SURE she's not some kind of 6foot tall woman? She sure seems like it!https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_surprised.gif Perhaps it's just her posture and body proportions that threw me, then https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif

• MommaBear

February 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm
  • chemgoddess1

February 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Runemist…there is another thread going about Sarah that was just started a few days ago.  She is smaller than Karol.  Here is kind of a good pic.  Marlo is 5'8", not sure about Alethea.

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/3080/slide_3080_43407_large.jpg

• ottersocks

February 21, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Sarah is miniature. I doubt she's much over 5 feet. She's smaller than Karol.

Alethea is pretty close to my height, maybe an inch or so shorter.

Here's a link to our guest instructor photos page. For comparison, I'm 5'6" barefoot. The picture of Karol is misleading, as she's in shoes and I'm not.

http://www.poletential.com/poletential_in_action.html

• spinnygirl

February 21, 2011 at 7:27 pm

mommabear-

thanks for the video link!  love it!

• MommaBear

February 21, 2011 at 7:40 pm
  • Serzi

February 21, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Let me just start by saying Sarah Cretul is a very elite dancer and you should never get discouraged about not being as advanced as she is. She has many, MANY years of experience and there are a more than a few pro-polers who have great difficulty pulling off her signature moves. I believe Karol said it best when she told Sarah in a post somewhere "There still hasn't been anyone who does the TG lift as good as you."

I often wonder if height plays a factor with certain moves, but this theory has yet to be proven. It does seem to me that shorter, more petite girls have an easier time with the arm work and taller, more curvy women have an easer time with the legs. Just my opinion…there's also the whole body-type thing that comes into play once you start down that road. (hourglass, pear, apple shape) Then there's strength, stamina, endurance, experience, flexibility…I'm exhausted just thinking about all this stuff!

You need to do what is best for YOU. Not everyone has eight+ hours in a day to train and that's also something to consider. Perhaps you need to step up your routine a bit to get the results you want or to take a step back from it and work on other moves. Have you been using spin-mode a lot? Maybe you need to go back to static for awhile because the momentum on spin is forcing you to engage the wrong muscles. Try to practice evenly on both settings and both of your sides for maximum results. If this is too structured for you, then let your body be your guide. If you really get in tune with your body it will tell you everything you want to know about what is right for you in order to get the most out of your pole journey.

• HannahElizabeth

February 22, 2011 at 5:36 am

dont forget that in that video she's also wearing 7" inch heels!