StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Strength exercises to learn how to invert?

• Strength exercises to learn how to invert?

Posted by NonFlexy on December 15, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I have a pole at home, and really want to learn to invert.  A lot of girls are my studio do it what seems like the 'wrong way' in that they get up by really kicking up their feet.  Based on videos I've seen, this isn't proper, and instead it should be very controlled, going from a knee tuck into the invert, as opposed to flailing your legs up. 

I can hold a knee tuck for about 3 seconds, so I'd say I'm not strong enough.  What moves can I be doing to help build up the strength needed to do this move properly?

Veena replied 11 years, 9 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • PoleFitMom

December 15, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I would suggest checking out the lessons here. Veena has a great sequence on strength and conditioning to get you ready for inverting.

Give yourself a Christmas gift and get the  lessons   :o)

xoxo

• NonFlexy

December 15, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Oh great, I didn't know she had those videos on strength for inverting, ty!

• AliciaPolerina

December 15, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Yea Veena's strength and conditioning exercises on here are fantastic!  Learn to do it right and your ribs and shoulders will thank you! 🙂

• Danielle Tillie

December 15, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Veena's videos are fabulous! If you have her lessons, use them! I have my students get into the position you would use to invert (hips in front of the pole, inside arm gripping at the armpit with hand gripping next to face, outside hand gripped just above, elbows in, shoulders down) and do variations of leg lifts. Start with bending the knees first and see if you can "touch and go", meaning lift the legs, drop them and touch the toes on the ground for a second, lifting immediately again. I sort of make it a goal for them to get to three touch and go's, followed by five touch and go's, and so on. While you're strenghtening your core, the idea of "touch and go" is that your upper body gets strong enough to keep you stable. You can also do these with the legs in a pike, or in a V. Just be sure to really use your lower abs to lift the legs, not just the hip flexors. This is common and you'll know you did it wrong if your hip flexors are unbelievably sore the next day. Just adding my couple of cents! 🙂

• sallybull6140

January 9, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I was going to ask this exact same question. I have been trying to invert for a year and am not sure where the strength is lacking. Which conditioning exercises would help the most?

• Veena

Administrator
    January 9, 2013 at 1:01 pm

If you go to the basic invert lesson you’ll see other lessons listed below the main player. These will all help improve your invert. Also if you are trying to invert with hips in front of the pole (dead lifting) with no step into the move. It will be very difficult. I break down how to step into an invert properly in the lesson.