StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Stretching: how often? For how long? TOTALLY confused! Help?

• Stretching: how often? For how long? TOTALLY confused! Help?

Posted by pink bubbles on January 18, 2011 at 4:53 am

Hi guys!!

Yet another thread about stretching I know, but I'm hoping that this one will be able to summerize all the info out there.

So, I'm the kind of person who needs to be really well informed of something before even thinking of starting it, so I've read a ton of books, articles, blogs, forum threads, talked to my different dance teachers about the good ways of stretching (for splits and general flexibility). I thought this way, I'd be able to summerize it all and get a perfect stretching method.

But nobody seems to be saying the same thing!

Excluding all the PNF, Bob Cooley method, etc which are very different, here are the things I've heard:

1. The body needs 30 seconds to understand it's being stretched so you need to keep the positions for more than 30 seconds.

2. Never stay in the position for more then 30 seconds, do 3 or 4 repetitions of the stretch.

3. Stay in the position for as long as you can, eventually, the muscles will get tired of resisting and stretch.

4. Stretch for 10 seconds doing 10-15 repetitions of the stretch.

5. Stretch every day!!

6. Stretch every other day.

7. Stretch twice a day.

Each and every piece of advice was given to me by dance teachers or sport trainers so I'm guessing really competant people right? But some of them are so contradictory that I really don't know who to listen to.

One of my pole dance/jazz dance instructor wants all her Intermediate III students to have at least 1 split, she's kind of a barbarian and gave us streches to do at home daily. The ones for the front splits are fine, they're pretty much the same that are used in the "splits in 6 weeks" program. For the middle splits, this is what she recommands:

With weights strapped to the ankles, lay on your back, your butt pressed against a wall put your legs in a straddle position up against the wall and wait for the weights to work their magic. Stay for 30 minutes….

Eager to get my middle splits I tried it and of course injuried myself! It's been 2 months and it still hurts…

I kind of came to the conclusion that everyone has a different body/reaction to stretches, that all of these methods are probably good and that you just need to listen to your body.

That being said, don't we need to push our bodies a bit to increase our flexibility especially if it's not in our nature or been a long time without practice?

I know all of my dance teachers have always, always pushed us pretty hard especially ballet teachers and I have to say it did work, but we were younger and our bodies were a lot more flexible and recovered faster.

Long post, I'm sorry, I'm really open to your suggestions, advice, personal experiences, anything to make me understand and progress.

Thank you!!!

pink bubbles replied 13 years, 8 months ago 11 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Madfelice

January 18, 2011 at 5:54 am

Check out these guys site.  I have their front splits dvd and shortly will be getting the side splits one.  I think they make a lot of sense with their theories etc.

http://www.valentinobrothers.com/

• branquinha

January 18, 2011 at 6:19 am

@ pink.bubbles – I am also looking forward to what people might say about this post. I too have been injured stretching and got confused over contradicting advice. Now, I try to follow what is safe and is explained in terms of being safe. I got Bob Cooley's book and got happy about the control you are supposed to have when doing resistance stretching and the safe aspect of it,

@ madfelice – had a look at their page and got interested – will check it more carefully later on.

Best!

• pink bubbles

January 18, 2011 at 6:59 am

@Branquinha, yes I have Bob Cooley's book aswell and it definetely seems safe. Actually, I've been taking a stretching class for about a month before buying the book and the instructor uses a variation of the stretches Bob Cooley explains but with Thera Bands. Although I do feel like thike method might take  a lot longer to get to the level of flexibility I need.

@Madfelice, just looked their website up, it seems interesting. Has their dvd been helpful to you for the splits?

• Madfelice

January 18, 2011 at 7:55 am

Yes, I think their DVD has helped, I actually prefer it to the stretch class I take at my pole studio and I think it has helped more.

• Veena

Administrator
    January 18, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Let me add, when it comes to fitness, diet and things of that nature you will NEVER see EVERYONE agreeing on what the "correct" method is. Things in the fitness industry are always changing..and fast. We learn one thing then find out a year later this is out dated. Don't stress about it! The most important thing is to LISTEN TO YOUR BODY https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gifIf you feel stretching longer seems to benefit you then do that, it will not hurt you. If you are not seeing progress THEN you know its time to try a different method. Always warm up fully before stretching and never push to the point of pain https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• horsecrazy12987

January 18, 2011 at 11:10 pm

What Veena says is so true it's not even funny. You will find so much contradicting advice out there, that, again like Veena said, the best thing is to listen to your body. If you feel like you need a day off, take a day off. If you feel like you can stretch everyday, stretch everyday. Just make sure you aren't experiencing a lot of pain when you stretch–it will be uncomfortable, especially if you're really inflexible, but if you're experiencing actual pain, you are pushing your muscles too hard and you need to back off before you injure yourself.

• MissKitty83

January 19, 2011 at 7:52 am

Since this is about stretching correctly, I have a question.

I apparently have SUPER tight hamstrings.  So much so that when I sit on the floor with my legs together straight and bend forward, I feel a stretch in my hamstrings, but also an intense pull in the backs of my knees, and sometimes a feel a numbness or pins-and-needles in my feet.  None of this is actually painful, but the pulling behind my knees and the numbness worries me. I cannot perform another hamstring stretch because of this sensation (the one where you lay on the floor and grab your calf and pull your knee toward your chest – my legs shake terribly in this position and I cannot seem to keep my knees straight.)  Has anyone else experienced this?  Do I just need to keep stretching?  What do you recommend?  Veena??

• Vdub

January 19, 2011 at 8:50 am

@MissKitty83…I had the same problem for awhile.  I kept stretching and even though I'm still tight (mostly b/c I'm not consistent in my stretching regimen), I no longer have those feelings in my feet or knees.  I was told that it had something to do with the nervous system and that it was safe to continue to stretch (actually, very helpful), but not to do it to the point of pain or severe discomfort.  I did gentle yoga for awhile and that definitely helped so you may want to give it a try.   It would probably  help if you buy a band and use it in the position you talked about (lying on your back).  That way, you can just stretch to the point that you can keep your leg straight and hold it there with the band.  Eventually you'll be able to bring your leg closer to your chest.  It takes time.  By the way, I find deep slow breathing to be very helpful when stretching because it keeps my mind and body very relaxed.  Let me know how it goes!

• Veena

Administrator
    January 19, 2011 at 9:07 am

@Misskitty…Vdub is right usually it will go away. Pulling behind the knees is fine and you may even feel it along the calves too! Shaking is also common.https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif Just be sure your not rounding your back too much as your stretching the Hamstrings. This goes for any position used to stretch the hams. Think of trying to stick your butt out before getting into position. You might find you can't bend over as far but you'll put more of the focus on the hams and not the low back. Also I like to inhale to release the stretch… exhale to increase the stretch. Muscles need oxygen even when stretching.https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• MissKitty83

January 19, 2011 at 10:24 am

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll keep stretching.  I do try to remember to breathe, and have started hold my stretches for a certain number of slow, deep breaths to help me remember to breathe!  In my google search, I also found this:

Tight musculature, and tight nerves will impinge each other and give numbness.

1. Roll out your plantar fascia,
    2. stretch your calves aggressively,
    3. keep on stretching the hammies,
    4. stretch out the glutes/deep glutes with piriformis stretches

ALL the posterior chain fascia is connected, so it will all help.

Thanks again for your suggestions and encouragement – I will keep trying.  I'm trying to get back on my exercise and stretching regimen after being lazy and inconsistent from Thanksgiving through New Years.  I've also started following the deep yoga stretches posted on the OFFICIAL SPLITS FORUM THREAD, and that's helping with other forms of thigh and hip flexibility, but my hamstrings are just slow, slow, slow to progress and see any noticible progress…

• Runemist34

January 19, 2011 at 12:47 pm

MissKitty, you aren't alone in the realm of super-tight hamstrings! Apparently, one symptom of my Patellofemural syndrome (which means my quads aren't strong enough in some areas, and too strong in others, thus my kneecap/patella is rubbing the big bone in my thigh, the femur) which I've had for 9 years…I'm only just getting physiotherapy now! It's been wonderful.

My Physiotherapist suggested that I keep it as simple as possible: put foot up on a chair or some other low piece of furniture, and keep my back straight, and lean forward slightly. Do each for about 30 seconds…and I forget if he said twice a day…but I do it whenever I can remember! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif

• Hotness

January 19, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I think the most confusing part for me is what is considered "warming up"? I've taken classes, and been to gyms on and off for most of my life. When we were "warming up" for the class, it was simply a series of stretches. So, now that we're talking warming up before stretching, which is so important in pole, I find I'm confused. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks ladies…

• Veena

Administrator
    January 19, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Hotness…I'll make it short.

For stretching you can warm up by either taking a quick REALLY HOT bath. Or do all your flexibility training AFTER you workout weather that's pole or running ect. You need to get your heart rate elevated so the muscles warm and become more "pliable" reducing your risk of injury. I never include static stretches in my warm ups and if I do its VERY light stretches at the END of a warm up. Studies have shown there is really no point in using stretches as your actual warm up. Think of your muscles like cheese…cold cheese breaks and crumbles, warm cheese melts and pulls apart in long lovely strings of gooeyness.https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• PhillyPoleJess

January 19, 2011 at 7:03 pm

@Hotness Warming up is a gradual increase in workload to allow the body to make physiological changes this helps prevent injuries and early fatigue. Warm ups are often a less intense version of what will be done during the workout.  Often light stretching will occur after a warm up but it should be submaximal to loosen warmed up muscles slightly more.  This should not be stretching for flexibility.

My Warm Ups 

When practicing pole I will just lightly dance for a song before doing ANY tricks.  Continuing to dance I will maybe pull out a spin or two like a fireman or inside hook (if beginner just continue dancing ).  If i am just warming up to stretch i take at least 15mins to warm my muscles up, making sure i do lots of hip dips (legs), body rolls (back, abdomen), twirls (arms), and hip rolls (hips, abs) in both directions.  

Off pole warm up, would start walking in place, then start bringing my knees higher little by little, shoulder rolls forward back, head rolls, arm circles small & large, chest rolls. Standing hip flexion, extension,  abduction, and  adduction (leg lifts)  only lifting as high as I can with control.  Some squats and lunges but nothing hardcore.   Maybe light weights or push ups.  Towards the end like to do a little jump rope or jumping jacks (cant jump? step back and forth quickly)

I always make sure to warm up 10-15 minutes if just going to be doing an intensive stretch without workout.

If working out ( dance or otherwise) before intensive stretch will take 5-10 minutes depending on what else I did that day.

Like the other ladies said about stretching is also true for warming up listen to your body and take the extra time if needed.

• Sanchara

January 20, 2011 at 1:50 am

I would really really like to know where this BS about not holding a stretch for more than 30seconds came from. I've seen it in a couple of places now and it is entirely WRONG.

Stretching for Warmup

When you are warming up you basically want to move around enough to get the blood flowing and your body temperature up. Somethng like a barre warmup. You'll know you're ready when you start to sweat. Then you stretch the your "big movers" so the largest muscles groups like glutes, quads, hammstings shoulders ect. for a minimum of 15 seconds – 30 is best for most people but sometimes it takes even longer than that for the muscle to "give in" to the stretch, then stretch splits, wrists, ankles and feet.

then stand up and shake it out and you're ready to go!

Stretching for Improved Flexibility

The ideal time to stretch for impoved flexibility is IMEDIATLY after a hard workout when your muscles are hot and fatigued.  Start with dynamic stretches about ten reps of each one – remember to be gentle and lift rather than throw.

Next do legs holding each pre-split stretch for three minuts before doing actual split stretches. Remember to includ static active stretches like needles and arabesques.

Next do your back. hold each stretch for fifteen seconds, release and repeat until you have done at least one minut.

Lasly arms and shoulders. Each stretch for three minuts.

If you are not doing PNF stretching then you may stretch every day and should. If you are doin PNF you need to give your muscles a 36 hour rest in between each session (on the off days gentle static passive stetching is okay)

If you would be content with180degree splits then you will only need an hour a day of flexibility training day.

Page 1 of 2