StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Stuck in a poling rut

• Stuck in a poling rut

Posted by CrazyBeautifulLife on May 2, 2012 at 2:26 pm

For the first 3 months I was really enjoying building up my strength and trying to achieve new moves, but soon I started to notice that I was doing the same moves over and over in every poling session and I was really struggling to nail a new move (I know that it was down to needing to build up more strength) anyway for the past 2-3 months I've hardly touch my pole, when I have decided to have a session I just get even more annoyed cause I'm doing the same things again !!

I guess what I'm trying to get at is what can I do to get myself back into it again ?? also what can I do to improve my strength ??

I look at my pole everyday and think to myself I really want to get back on it but i know that I'll just end up back at square one.

Piaketz replied 12 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Runemist34

May 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I've done this a lot… best advice I can give is expand and experiment!

For strength training, I actually really enjoy other ways of getting the strength, such as my weights and doing "the switch" in Veena's lessons. I'm working towards getting a proper push up, and increasing how many sets I can do with my weights without wearing out.

Experimentation, for me, helps to stave off the "I'm doing the same things all the time!" feeling. Take a look at all of your "normal" moves, even the ones that you think you have totally nailed (like the Fireman spin) and see what more you can do with them. Where could your legs go? How could you get into it differently? What are your hands doing? Could you stay in this hold longer, or try to climb slower, or see if you can do different styles, like sexy or twirly or strong?

This is an interesting time… we always look at it as so frustrating. A "rut," where we stop feeling that amazing feeling we get from accomplishment. But, it can also be a time of great learning, when we start to break down the idea of "moves" and turn them all into a flow, a dance, an expression of the self. Through trying different things, you can figure out how you come out in your movements 😉

Good luck!

• CrazyBeautifulLife

May 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Thank you for your advice.

I've never really thought about working on/improving the moves I already know 🙂 

Time to go watch some videos for inspiration & get cracking on experimenting lol

• Piaketz

May 3, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Do you have friends you can pole with? My pole friends keep me motivated, and I've befriended a few online who truly inspire me 🙂