StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Student not trusting herself

• Student not trusting herself

Posted by Sinnamon on May 4, 2011 at 2:23 am

I now have a student in private lessons who is too scared/ not trusting herself enough to come off the floor. I’ve broken down a variety of spins, got her to switch hands, sit on the ground in the position she will be in while spinning, placing her legs where they will go in the air one at a time, but she still is too scared to come off the ground. She is very frustrated she can’t do any of the most simple spins!! I’ve never had this before! Fear is always a factor in new moves but to this extent is new for me. It is not a matter of no body strength either as she can do pullups and slide down the pole…..advice?? Just keep encouraging?

Riddleboxxy replied 13 years, 4 months ago 9 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • emotioncatcher

May 4, 2011 at 2:59 am

encouraging is of course the most important thing. once she tried it and notices that nothing bad will happen, whe might get over her fear.

i once showed some girls at school some easy pole spins and there were some really scared, too. i don´t know if you use mats under the pole, i normally don´t, but for the scared ones i just put a mat on the ground and their fear was nearly gone. it just gave them a feeling of being saftey

do you know what exactly she is scared of (being to weak and falling, crashing into pole,…) ? this would be helpful.

• Polecat88

May 4, 2011 at 3:03 am

Maybe teach her the extended leg spin? you dont come off the ground until you are practically on the floor for that one – i think you can do it without lofting up at all but it gives you the feeling of a spin. It might help?

• Sam I am

May 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Do you have mats? I know for simple spins it seems kinda silly…but maybe the extra cushion below her will give her the confidence. I had a "magic pillow" when I started out…in reality the pillow wasn't going to help me at all but it made me "feel" better 🙂

• Runemist34

May 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Interesting question: How simple are we talking? No fireman spin? Or slightly further from that?

There are a couple of moves that may be helpful for getting used to the idea of taking your feet off the ground. First, I would say just the general Pole hold…it gives you a sense of strength, even if she can't do it for very long!

Next, um…I forget what we call it here. The Half spin, I think? You can slowly move that one into lifting both legs, and since it's just a short little thing, it's easier to get used to, and you can even bail out of the lifting-both-legs and still have it look good!

The other one is one I fould on Jamilla's DVDs, and it's kind of like…a sit-spin (or a side seated spin? I dunno what it's called!) only…halfway. You just step around the pole with the inside leg as far as you can, and then follow it with your outisde leg. Really simple, and you can move that one into a brief both-feet-off deal, too.

I know how frustrating it can be to be too scared to do something that you KNOW you're strong enough for! I feel that way with most of my split grip moves, and with the CKR right now. She'll get it! We all know she will, and so do you! So just keep encouraging her, and take it slow 😉

• lilblondie

May 4, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I've seen girls like this in bachelorette parties.  It's not as unusual as you would think (it used to blow my mind too.)  Try teaching her piroettes and "spins" around the pole where one leg always stays on the ground … the kind that are used as transition moves.  You can learn them slowly and with control and one foot always stays on the ground, but it gets you used to the feeling of spinning.  As she does them faster she'll learn to feel more comfortable with using momentum.  Also … it's unorthodox but you could go straight into climbing, sits, etc … at least she'll feel that she's making progress and that may boost her confidence. 🙂

• pegasusaerialfitness

May 5, 2011 at 8:16 am

Try to get her to trust her pole to hold her up. Let her walk around and lean out as far as she can. I to teach behind the knee holds too and let them see that it is easier to let the pole support you then it is too close. No offense, I dont' know what Veene calls this spin. (for some reason I was never able to sign p for lessons because of a paypal/website issue) Hey Veena, I would like to sigh up, is the problem fixed now?)

Anywho…..it's like a hip dip, 360, pike spin. So you have more of a half bracket hold. (pushing away form the pole with bottom hand) Tell her to get her hips as far away from the pole when whe does this. Inside plant, lean away with body and hips, face pole, place non dominant hand on pole to allow that push/pull, tell her to place her outside foot around the pole to the inside foot. I find that the enertia eventually takes their inside foot off the floor. Helps teach the sensation of the spinning.

• hookedonpole

May 6, 2011 at 12:27 am

Does this student have a pole at home?  From experience, I tend to fall under the "too scared" to try something new at a class or workshop.  From my first classes three years ago I drove the instructor nuts (I'm sure) cuz I would also hesitate to try something and when I did, all I kept saying was "you have me, right?" "you won't let me fall?" "help me get down" etc.  When I got my own pole I would practice at home and begin to accomplish.

It's weird, to this day I'm still the same way.  It doesn't seem like I'm learning cuz I still panic trying something new.  Instructor spots me and talks me through tricks and I try once or twice.  Then I work on it at home on my own over time.

Also, maybe she doesn't feel strong enough.  When I started, I wouldn't try something if I didn't feel I had the strength.  When I finally realized I had developed strength would I begin to move on.

The suggestion of having her verbalize what her fear is is a good one.  I remember one time being asked that and instructor was able to assure and help me relax.  To this day I tend to be dependent on my crash mat. 

• Sinnamon

May 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Thanks ladies, love the support. She was Trying to do the fireman at first and I did try the extended fireman with her as well as a few others…hoping that she would like one Or one would be easier than the other. I know it is not a matter of her being strong enough as she can do pole holds. She said it was just a mental thing where she doesn’t trust her arms to hold her. Maybe I will just start doing sits with her first and do some conditioning with her so she “feels” like she’s strong enough to do it even though she is now. I’ll try the mat idea too, it may work.
    Thanks again ladies!

• Sinnamon

May 10, 2011 at 12:04 pm

UPDATE

The mat idea was brilliant. I never used them for spins before because I thought it was kind of pointless, but I am using them for almost all my classes now and for some reason the girls feel safer and will get their moves much quicker with the mat under, even if they never use it!! Thanks so much!!

• Sam I am

May 10, 2011 at 12:18 pm

That’s wonderful!!! I’m sure they are just as thrilled as you with the progress :):)

• hookedonpole

May 10, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Yay, how exciting! 

• emotioncatcher

May 10, 2011 at 1:55 pm

what great news!! congrats!

• Riddleboxxy

May 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm

That's awesome to hear! Omg 😀 Congrats!! <3