StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Studio Owners

• Webmaster

Administrator
    May 16, 2010 at 2:30 am

Empyrean made some good points, these are all things to check into and be aware of, but lets not make it as scary as all that.

Music is easy, ASCAP is the largest licensing firm and you won’t have to pay more than a couple hundred dollars to get a license for a small facility. And realistically, while they can fine you up to $30,000 per song, I can find no instances of this on the internet, what happens in every case I am aware of is that the licensing agency calls and politely asks you to pay for a license, if you pay there is no further action.

Zoning is as simple as a call to the appropriate local agency, usually the zoning board. If your residence is not zoned properly for business for a small fee and demonstration that your home business will not create undue traffic, you can usually get a variance that will "zone" your residence for business.

For everything else have a frank conversation with your insurance agent, they can provide everything from waivers to the proper insurance to make sure your home is covered in the event of a lawsuit. Your insurance agent is your partner and it’s their job to make sure your covered in your particular situation.

Business is risky but remember, with great risk comes great reward.

• Mary Ellyn

May 16, 2010 at 4:17 am

Wow…did I sound scary? I’m giving free advice based on the OP’s question about business management skills and knowledge on a number of points.

Being informed and educated is nothing to be scared of…it’s NOT being informed and educated that should be scary. That is the only point I made.

And of course it is easy to do…people just need to know what is necessary when it comes to starting up a business, but yes, it’s quite simple.

As everyone knows, I’m always willing to help people out. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_thumleft.gif

• Mindy4pole

May 17, 2010 at 4:29 am

Whether Inc or LLC, incorporating gives a business owner MUCH more protection than just being a sole proprietor. A Corporation is a separate legal entity, with it’s own credit, property, liability, etc. That means that your BUSINESS gets sued, not you. So, (generally) your personal property is safe.

And PLEASE… Just don’t do a "Partnership". They are very dangerous. It is, in many ways, like marrying someone. Whatever they do, you are responsible for. My father was screwed that way many years ago, so I grew up with this warning! =)

As for the folks living in Mormon areas, I don’t see why it would be a problem. Present it as dance or fitness. In my partner dance experience, there are many Mormons who are GREAT dancers (see the Julian and Derick Huff and Laci Schwimmer on Dancing w/ the Stars). From what I’ve been told, BYU has an EXCELLENT dance program. Look at how ballroom classes are being marketed in your area. The Latin dances can be very sexy with lots of close contact with your partner. Things to highlight with pole — you dance solo (most of the time), and the classes are not mixed gender (most of the time). Being the first one in the market means you get to frame it however you want.

GOOD LUCK!
    Mindy

Well I never said it wasn’t a legitimate option…but see that’s the point. If you don’t talk to someone who knows what the difference is AND how it applies to a pole studio.

The benefits of being an LLC are irrelevant for most pole studios and there is NO difference in how you’re taxed or payed if you set up correctly as a corporation.

So many new businesses get steered into being an LLC, which costs MUCH more than Inc, etc and yet they don’t need to spend that money. Plus renewal remains higher for an LLC so you keep spending more each time your renewal comes up.

This is why reading books, or reading online or going to someone who is not a financial consultant may be misleading.

• earthpanther

May 17, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Thank you to all who posted tips on opening a business (LLC vs. Corp) and liability issues to be aware of.

• angel6101

May 20, 2010 at 2:27 am

Empyrean and Charley are both right on all there advice! I will also stress to make sure you set out a clear business plan and really think about the type of clientelle your trying to attract. Also, as Charley discussed with being advanced as an instructor. You should have a good foundation to start with and definately know the proper way to execute moves and modify them if needed. Knowing a variety of moves is important and know the "categories" they fit into really helps when your trying to eveluate where a persons at physically and what the next progression should be. For instance you’d never have someone go from learning a star to a marley in the same night…it’s not a natural strength progression and you need to develop someone’s strength and hold better before you’d make a leap like that. I don’t think an instructor needs to know every move there is out there to teach but you should understand all the types of moves there are to know how to safely progress someone. Make sure you sit down and come up with a really solid lesson plan and how you want to execute it (i.e. strength/flexibility training).

• Mindy4pole

May 27, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Knowing a variety of moves is important and know the "categories" they fit into really helps when your trying to eveluate where a persons at physically and what the next progression should be. For instance you’d never have someone go from learning a star to a marley in the same night…it’s not a natural strength progression and you need to develop someone’s strength and hold better before you’d make a leap like that. I

Can you recommend sources for that information? I’ve literally sat down and made classes and assigned moves to them for my own understanding, but I hate reinventing the wheel!

Thanks!
    Mindy

• angel6101

May 28, 2010 at 1:54 am

I wish I could but I’ve not seen it done anywhere. wikipole.org has all the moves listed but as far as a resource that categorizes the move by type and strength level I haven’t found it https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif I spent about a month coming up with my own since I like you tried to find something like that. Maybe I’ll have to work on uploading that or something lol.

• Charley

May 28, 2010 at 2:38 am

Wikipole.org is the best site for finding names and pictures…

My loose organization methid is this
    Beginners – tranistions, basic steps around the pole, floor work, lifts/kicks from standing, spins with leg grip, sit
    Intermediate – spins that do not have leg grip (carousel, boomerang, chair etc.) climbs, beginner plank, cross knee release, basic inverts/poses
    Advanced Intermediate : caterpillar, cross ankle, bow and arrow, reverse grab spins, split grip spins, corkscrew/body spirals, inverted combinations using basic inverted poses, spinning inverts
    Advanced : repel moves, reverse climb, armpit holds, aerial inverts, shouldermounts
    Super advanced, knee holds

I categorize moves by what their next step would be and how they condition the body. Most students stay in the intermediate portion.

I have beginner, beg intermediate, intermediate, adv. intermediate, beg advanced, intermediate advanced, advanced, super advanced

• earthpanther

June 10, 2010 at 3:01 pm

So many new businesses get steered into being an LLC, which costs MUCH more than Inc, etc and yet they don’t need to spend that money. Plus renewal remains higher for an LLC so you keep spending more each time your renewal comes up.

The cost is going to be dependent on the state you live in. In WI the cost to set up an LLC is $30 more than a corporation, but renewal is the same.

• Mary Ellyn

June 10, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Thanks…my apologies…my husband did correct me on that but I neglected to edit the post to indicate that some states are different.

• earthpanther

June 10, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Thanks…my apologies…my husband did correct me on that but I neglected to edit the post to indicate that some states are different.
    No worries. It was stil a good thing to make myself and others aware of the potential cost differences between setting up as a corporation versus an LLC.

• litlbit

June 10, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I have an advocate at S.C.O.R.E regarding business and also have spoken with the SBA (Small Business Administration), and excellent resource they gave me to help me was legalzoom.com It does all the foot work and legal research for you and can answer all your questions. Whether you need to be a DBA, LLC, or INC. I went through them because I have the expertise of attorneys and lawyers that I do not have to pay for out of pocket (saved me $1000!), they also file all of your paperwork for you in your state.

• Rosedust

June 27, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Any body actually read this or have it?
    http://poleaddiction.com/business.html
    I’m wondering if its actually full of good info and worth the money, or if i’d be extremely disappointed…

• angel6101

June 28, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Hmmmm haven’t read it but for $110 it may be worth lookin through. I used Score a lot for business advice and helping with guidance too and for a free service they give wonderful advice. Also, do as much training as you can with other people….you can never learn too much! I would personally love to do Mary Ellen’s certification class just because she’s been doin this so long that there’s bound to be tons of things to learn from her….and if Veena ever does one I’m on it lol. Seriously though even if you’ve been in the business for awhile it never hurts to learn all you can from those who’ve been doin it for awhile too…it’s about offering clients the best you can and learning from multiple sources will help with that!

• amcut

June 28, 2010 at 3:19 pm

The other angel, angel of baltimore, angel1201 has a cert program that she’s putting together. She has a monster resume, is the sweetest woman ever, and an incredibly talented instructor.

http://www.discoveriesdance.com/

Page 2 of 5