StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Studio Owners

• Mary Ellyn

June 29, 2010 at 4:49 am

Thanks Angel. I happen to feel as you do…I not only try to learn from everyone I can but to certify with more than one if I can. I’ve been through Sharon Polsky’s course (Pole Position) and Fawnia’s and I hope to take Wendy’s Climb and Spin later this year.

FYI : For those familiar with my program. I’ve recently re-written and updated my program since it was first developed in late 2007 it was time for a re-vamp.

• Charley

June 29, 2010 at 3:00 pm
  • earthpanther

July 6, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Any body actually read this or have it?
    http://poleaddiction.com/business.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    I’m wondering if its actually full of good info and worth the money, or if i’d be extremely disappointed…

I have it. There is definitely some good info in there as well as some I don’t really agree with. I think it was worth buying though.

• earthpanther

July 6, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Well I never said it wasn’t a legitimate option…but see that’s the point. If you don’t talk to someone who knows what the difference is AND how it applies to a pole studio.

The benefits of being an LLC are irrelevant for most pole studios and there is NO difference in how you’re taxed or payed if you set up correctly as a corporation.

So many new businesses get steered into being an LLC, which costs MUCH more than Inc, etc and yet they don’t need to spend that money. Plus renewal remains higher for an LLC so you keep spending more each time your renewal comes up.

This is why reading books, or reading online or going to someone who is not a financial consultant may be misleading.
    Empyrean, is there any other reason you don’t like LLC as an option? I did a quick check in with an accountant to see what having a tax return done for an S-Corp. would be and she advised me "I would encourage you to look at other types of entity choice to keep your paperwork requirements lighter at the beginning of your business endeavor."
    Thanks for any input you have.

• Mary Ellyn

July 6, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Not being certain if you read my other post where someone pointed out it didn’t cost any more in there state, I mentioned that this is really my husband’s area of expertise…he is the accountant and he does this portion of our certification. As I understand, the LLC can be set up differently in different states.

The point is, that many people jump into this and don’t consult with someone as you did, and don’t get all the options offered to them or explained what the differences are from region to region.

So it really is best to consult with someone in taxes and business planning who knows how it would apply to you. I just don’t have the knowledge to address it for different locations.

• Judy Jovanelly

July 7, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Seriously though even if you’ve been in the business for awhile it never hurts to learn all you can from those who’ve been doin it for awhile too…it’s about offering clients the best you can and learning from multiple sources will help with that!

hence the fact that AFAA, ACE, etc etc etc all REQUIRE continuing ed credits to maintain certs. gotta stay informed !!!

• paintilady

August 27, 2013 at 5:56 pm

About Music Licensing

It seems there are 3 agencies, BMI, ASCAP and SESAC. 

So far, ASCAP has been contacting many many business's and demanding payment, only to find out BMI ad SESAC follow. 

How do you really figure out if you have to pay all three which would not be affordable? 

We often have our own students hook up their play list or phone to our system for a variety in Music, what is the rule for this kind of music playing in a pole studio?  Especially for parties, 

• Webmaster

Administrator
    August 27, 2013 at 6:07 pm

If you need one you need all three because the music is licensed and managed per artist and it’s not uncommon for a single music group to have musicians managed by different agencies. Additionally because of the way the laws around music are structured the burden is on you to prove you haven’t played managed music and not on the agency to prove you that you have. This is even more true since students have hooked their iPods up in the studio.

• paintilady

August 27, 2013 at 7:05 pm

So if students play their  own music, on our system… it means "I " played it? 

If we have to pay 3 licensing organizations, and who knows if there will be more it will be out of our price range. What options do we have? 

🙁 

• chemgoddess1

August 27, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I want to say that there is an option on Pandora for business use but I am not sure how that all works.  This is one option that I know some studios have gone to.  With Pandora you can tailor "stations" but not specific songs.

Wait…forget that.  I just read on their site that you cannot use it in any studio setting.  A quick google search found this: http://rockbot.com/

• angel6101

August 27, 2013 at 8:15 pm

As much as it sucks you gotta pay them all because it will cost more for you to deal with it if they decide to make an issue of it. ASCAP and BMI are the main ones that license all popular music music but you still can’t chance it by ignoring 1 or all 3 for that matter.

• Webmaster

Administrator
    August 27, 2013 at 8:29 pm

If music is played in your studio through anything other than headphones that is considered a public performance and your establishment must be licensed properly for it.

I couldn't find it with an initial search but there used to be a service that would send you a selection of music on CD every month in whatever genre you wanted.  This music would contain the proper licensing for studio settings so you didn't have to worry about ASCAP, BMI and SESAC.  The drawback was that it was nearly as expensive on a yearly basis as licensing all three agencies.

Rockbot.com looks cool but it could get expensive as you have the monthly fee then you have to pay  per play of music and I believe partial plays count as full plays.

• paintilady

August 27, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Thak you! 

• paintilady

August 27, 2013 at 8:58 pm

The price they are trying to make me pay is prohibitive, 

There is no "pole dance studio" they have ballet, jazz, combination, and are trying to bill us at over $100.00, but three licensing places at $100.00 a month is over $300.00 a year, or more, and we are a small studio.  Which now needs to raise prices in a small broke town or figure something else out. They are trying to go back and get us to pay several years back. 

This we can not afford. 

• Webmaster

Administrator
    August 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm

This is what I have heard anecdotally.

Generally a small venue, whether its a fitness studio, coffee shop etc… will be on the hook for around $300/agency or roughly $1000/yr.

Generally if you are polite and pay them immediately they will forgive your previous years and you can continue in good standing.

Page 3 of 5