StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Studio Poles… And do you care?!

• Studio Poles… And do you care?!

Posted by AllysonKendal on May 21, 2015 at 9:26 am

Things are slow today (days before a holiday always are, the day after is hectic… That’s just the usual)

So I kind of thought maybe I’d spark a discussion to keep things entertaining… (I can’t watch videos with the sound on either 😣)

When you look for a studio to attend (whether it’s as a member or just a drop in class) how much weight do you give to the type of poles they have?

I know people who say “I just want to find a place with 12ft poles” and others who would never chose to go to a studio with 50mm poles. I also know people have very strong preference on pole finish.

I guess I’m asking because I’m going tomorrow to a pole studio with 8.5ft 50mm brass poles. I’m not a huge fan of 50mm… The height I guess is about what I have at home, and I’ve never tried Brass but I’m super sensitive to smells and I feel like my TG is sometimes too grippy (so I can’t imagine how brass feels!) These are def not poles I would chose…

But my pole instructor who I do privates/semi-privates with is on her honeymoon… And as some of you may have read she is probably moving sometime this summer, and having knee surgery… So I’m just trying to prepare myself for the change.

Currently I’m driving 45min-1 hour to my lessons… I chose this studio because they are about the same distance (but in the other direction… Into Pennsylvania)… They seem friendly and unintimidating. Their Instagram seems fun too. I like that they have Friday morning classes. It’s really just to check the studio out… But I did buy a groupon (groupon also had a discount code… So I got 5 classes for less than 2 classes) and It can also be used for yoga classes.

Anyway, I’m excited to try out a “real” studio… Even though I’m still sad abou my teacher leaving.

I’m not sure if I’ll be a regular member of a studio again, but I do want to have a place I can when I do feel like I want a structured class.

Anyway back to the question. How much importance do you place on the poles themselves (obviously no one wants to go to a bad teacher with great poles) but do you care about the poles? Do you even look into it? Or does it not matter at all to you?

newschik replied 9 years, 3 months ago 10 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • Runemist34

May 21, 2015 at 10:09 am

I don’t place a lot of importance on the poles at a studio- heck, usually I don’t even know what they have before I get there!
    The two places that used to be here both had Lil mynx stainless steel, and while my own SS was pretty slippy at home, they always seemed perfectly grippy at the studio! And, I’m not a big stickler for size- I’ve got big hands, so I can grip nearly any size pole!
    And, should I learn something while visiting a studio briefly, I can always practice it at home on my powder coated pole, which has endless grip, most of the time!
    When I went to Iceland, and danced on the poles at Erial Pole, I had never actually touched a spinning pole before. Boy, was that a crazy ride! But, again, I didn’t know what they had when I got there- I actually don’t even know what they have right now! I just knew that they spin, and that they were a little bit smaller than I was used to.

It sounds like a great way to test out going to a studio though! I hope that everything works out well for you. You never know, you might love the poles there, even if you don’t love them anywhere else!

• Tamarinda

May 21, 2015 at 3:24 pm

There’s only one studio in the area I’m at. The first thing I did was call and ask about their poles.

They didn’t know what I was talking about (maybe the person was new…) but eventually I found out they have chrome 50 non spin…

I’m a college student and on a limited budget and I’m not going to spend my money on an expensive studio that is very limited in my opinion.

I have a chrome .45 spin at home so… what’s the point.

I was also weary of their teaching methods and felt it was unsafe as they hired people with virtually no experience… (I asked them about that too) I also saw videos on their youtube page of instructors falling while teaching…

IF I had all the money to blow maybe I’d give it a chance but I got a negative impression.

If I was under the impression that the teachers were awesome maybe I would spend money despite the poles.

I don’t have the cash for a limited studio or the doctors bills when they instruct me into an injury.

• Tigerschic041721

May 21, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I don’t ever research the kind of poles before I go. I care most about quality instruction I can learn from. But I see how poles could be a factor in deciding whether or not to become a member at a studio.

• Phoenix Hunter

May 21, 2015 at 4:11 pm

I won’t do 50mm poles. I can barely grip 45 mm. 50 will be a waste of my time and make me frustrated . So I wouldn’t go to studio with only 50mm poles. That’s just me. I know I wouldn’t have fun. I won’t do a performance on a stainless steel pole but I would use one in a class setting as long as it’s a 45. 🙂

• AllysonKendal

May 21, 2015 at 4:54 pm

I’m home from work now… But I have a continuing Ed class tonight that could be great of a total snooze… But either way keep the responses coming!

I love hearing everyone’s opinions (that’s why I asked). I can see both sides. If I was traveling I may not care to even ask… But since I’m trying to scope out my “local” (ok I don’t know if almost an hour away in a different state is local) options I’m doing more comparing than I think I normally would. I am happy I knew they were 50s going into it so I’m mentally prepared. The owner did say they were planning on replacing a few with 45s in the future… But ya never know if/when that will happen. They were so nice when answering my questions the 50mms didn’t have me running away!

We’ll see how it goes tomorrow. 😳

• catmoves2718

May 21, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I travel a lot for work, and I usually try to squeeze in a pole class or two on trips. The closest place for me to take classes is about 90 miles away, so going to a class is a treat for me. I never even consider what kind of poles the studio has. Do they even list that on their website, or do you have to ask? I guess if I had multiple studios to choose from, and I liked the instructors and the feel of the studios equally, then the poles might make a difference.

• dustbunny

May 21, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Unfortunately I don’t have many options for studios around here. I guess I get what I get!

• AllysonKendal

May 21, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Actually I asked the studio when I shot them an email to see what level/class i should attend. They were super friendly and helpful and that gave me a good impression of the studio. However when I was looking up studios to attend on vacation I was wayyyy more interested in timing/schedule than anything else… and turns out nothing worked with my schedule. But I hadnt even considered pole size or finish when I was looking…

Unfortunately there aren’t many studios near me either… I have 2 that are almost an hour away in opposite directions (the one I go to and the one I’m checking out tomorrow). Then past that there are maybe a few more if I go past an hour and a half (+tolls or train tickets)…

I mean, it is what it is… I’m not going to knock it til I’ve tried it.. maybe the brass stickiness will make up for it being wider?!?

I was really curious if anyone else considers poles. And I’m so happy to hear whatever one thinks on both side of the fence… I think I’m standing on the fence… I’m considering it, but not letting it deter me.

• PenelopeAnn

May 22, 2015 at 2:52 am

In my studio, I have a range of poles so that hopefully everyone will find one they’re comfortable with – and everyone’s got their favourites which they get seriously possessive over! We’ve got 38mm, 45mm & 50mm; and SS, chrome & PC. My next pole is probably going to be silicone (holding thumbs!)

• catmoves2718

May 22, 2015 at 8:01 am

PenelopeAnn: That’s great planning, a lot of studios just buy all the same thing, which has its own advantages but it’s really nice that you have something for everyone.

AllysonKendal: I’m impressed that they were super helpful and friendly. A lot of times when I send similar emails I don’t get much of a response, or I get what is obviously a canned response, like telling me they can’t wait to see me in their first timers class, even when I make it clear this is far from my first time doing pole.

• AllysonKendal

May 22, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Ok, so when I first climbed I was like “oh these poles are nice” I’m not sure if it was the grip of the brass or what… But I found shoulder mounting difficult. I’m not sure why. I was fine with moves like split grip Ayesha and butterfly though. Hm.

• kittyface

May 22, 2015 at 5:51 pm

@AllysonKendal Do you think maybe the poles were more narrow, like 40mm or 45 (if you don’t usually use a 45)? That could possibly explain why hand grippy moves like Ayesha and butterfly were easier, and that would also decrease the surface area on your shoulder and make shoulder mounts a bit more difficult.

I’m very comfortably situated with my studio at home, but my wife and I were considering taking a trip through the West coast this summer and I was recently looking for studios I could visit. It didn’t occur to me to ask about pole diameter/finish. I’m not sure what finish I prefer – brass seems to work a bit better than stainless steel for me, that’s about all I know, and the difference isn’t huge – I know I greatly prefer a 45 over a 50. Honestly, if a studio had 50s it would be a bit of a turn-off but not a dealbreaker, since I can still work with them and I wouldn’t be there for long anyways. I imagine it would be different if I were leaving my home studio and looking for a different one, but I feel like diameter would be more important than finish in that case (unless it was SO sticky that I couldn’t do drops, like powder coated or something).

• AllysonKendal

May 22, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Baby dragon, I know i wrote a lot in this thread so I don’t blame you for missing it, but the place I tried out today had 50mm poles when I’m used to 45.

I didn’t think anything was easier besides my first climb. But everything else was more or less equal, except for the shoulder mounts. :/

• AllysonKendal

May 22, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Also trying to get out of superman into like a leg hang was awfully sticky on brass! I forgot to mention that.

• kittyface

May 22, 2015 at 6:16 pm

@AllysonKendal …*facepalm* Whoops. I feel silly now =P

Huh, the only thing I could think of is that maybe it was more or less humid on certain days. The usually slightly-slippery SS poles at my studio became ultra-sticky one day because of that. The floor was slippery as hell though O.O We were putting Dry Hands all over our feet that day.

Page 1 of 2