StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Tattoos: Professionalism?

• Cocoa0

May 12, 2011 at 3:34 pm

If Victoria is anything like Vancouver tats should not really be a big issue. You have to keep in mind that we are alot more laid back in Canada than in some other parts of the world. I say get them where you want them and if you absolutely HAVE to cover them up you’ll find a way.

• JennyBacardi

May 12, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I loveeee tattoos!!

but it sucks when your whole tattoo has to revolve around work

with that said, some places are totally tolerable while some places(even some mcdonalds -_-) dont even accept visible tattoos. I can only imagine in a more profesional place how it must be, but like some other girls said it all depends on the boss.

the best thing to do would be to put it somewhere that you can show(if thats what you want) but can easily be covered up if need be.

• Adriibabii

May 13, 2011 at 6:39 am

I love tattoos as well, i have 3, one by the bridge of my left thumb, one one my inner right wrist and one on my right shoulder. My shoulder one is almost always hidden except in the summer but my wrist and thumb ones are clearly visible, my last job said no visible tattoos, but they still hired me. I have a training for a new job today and im hoping they don't have a problem with my tats,they arent anything bad one is a matching tat with my mom that sez love and has like sparkles and a heart and the other is a cherry blossom flower that 90% of people that comment on it usually love it and think its really cute. As for you, I don't think as a therapist or psychologist someone can tell you that tattoos arent allowed, so i would probably cover them up for the initial interview then after you get the job and youre boss or whomever gets to know you better then you can shed the cardis and long sleeve shirts. Thats what my mother did and she works in a corporate setting. If my mom were to go in for an interview now theyd probably judge her by her tats but since she's been there so long and everyone already knows her no one even cares about them she still got her promotion not because of what she looked or dresses like but because of her work ethic and productivity. oh and in my opinion i agree with Lola, once i had to see this therapist as a teenager  but she was this old conservative jewish lady, im talking easy 70's 80's like retirement status old! and she thought i was insane because i got my tongue pierced ! It was the worst therapist ever she couldnt relate anything to me except tell me i had psychological issues because i randomly got a tongue piercing! smh I think if wouldve had a more young open minded therapist that shared the same interest in tattoos and piercings like i do iwouldve felt 1000x's better going. so u never know those tat might actually come in  handy with yur clients especially making them feel more open to talk to you =)

• vickiezoo

May 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm

• vickiezoo

May 13, 2011 at 12:12 pm

This is a great thread!! I recently got my Bettie Page pin up on my calf, she takes up half of the calf. I work at a zoo and they are funny about visible tattoos, biut loads of keepers have them on show anyway!! Anway this is only an issue if I wear shorts, which I like to in the hot weather, so I put a support bandage on to cover Bettie. Management asked me whatb was wrong with my leg, I was honest with them, they said it didn't look good wearing a bandage and more or less said I have to wear trousers now to keep it covered!!! Sucks, thought I would share…..

• Mechie

May 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm

@ vickiezoo- I thought only corporate are like that…lol I work in a corporate…VERY VERY conservative….not just tattoos but also on visible excessive piercings…

• Kandipole

May 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Hey everyone!

I didnt read all the posts so Im sure this was said.

I LOVE tattoos!  I think tattoo are becoming the norm. Everyone has tattoos. When I got my first tattoo 12 years ago I was 17 and no one had tattoos. Now its hard to find someone in the age range of 20-35 without at least one.

I have 3 – one in my lower back, one on the inside of my left wrist and one that starts on my right shoulder and is currently being worked on to make its way down to my right outter thigh/hip.

I think if they mean something to you and they are not offensive, it shouldnt matter where they are. The one on my wrist is visible to everyone and it is a cancer tribute to people I am losing at the same time with cancer. If someone was to judge me based on that tattoo I would absolutely lose it on them.

I think you should go for it! Especially if you are thinking about going into any kind of therapy I think the people you would encounter would be the least likely to be judgemental.

Good luck and happy tattooing!https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• vickiezoo

May 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm

The zoo are all about public image and are very strict, piercings too:(

• Mechie

May 13, 2011 at 1:13 pm

@ vickiezoo- yeah, I’ve seen friends who didn’t get a job offer because of tattoos and piercings…and the one that get tattoos AFTER the job offer got pulled over for a “talk” about company’s image….

• byrdgrrl

May 15, 2011 at 11:41 am

I work for the US Government (National Park Service) and I have a smallish tattoo on the side of my neck that runs up to under my ear and so is visible over my uniform collar.  None of my bosses or anyone that I work with has said anything about it (except the occasional compliment 🙂 ).  Admittedly my job is mostly field based, but we do have contact with and interact with park visitors and are required to wear uniforms.  I think that it really just depends on the "culture" of where you work and on your boss' attitude.

Page 2 of 2