StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Tell me your Pole-story! :)

• Tell me your Pole-story! :)

Posted by PandalinaHooker on July 12, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Hey everyone!

As some of you might know, I'm doing a school project on Studio Veena for an Ethnographic Methods class! As part of my project I thought it would be fun to do a "group interview" via the discussion forum! I want you all to know that no specific names/tags will be mentioned (unless you specifically tell me I can use your tag/name in my project)! I want to be as respectful of your privacy as possible! 🙂

Anyway, please take the time to tell me your "Pole-Story"! 

How old are you?

How long have you been pole-dancing?

What got you into pole dancing?

Why pole dancing and not something else?/What makes pole dancing special to you?

How did you first find out about Studio Veena? How much time do you spend on here? (hours a day/week/month)

How did you choose your tag (AKA User Name)?

Please feel free to answer all of them, some of them, or none of these questions. They're just a guideline to help give you an idea of where to start with your story!

Looking forward to reading your responses 😀

LocheshXXX replied 11 years, 2 months ago 26 Members · 32 Replies
  • 32 Replies
  • Lyme Lyte

July 12, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I am 46 years old and have been poling for three years (not much this past year due to my Lyme disease). My sister bought a pole and introduced me to SV so I too had to try it and loved it. It helped me deal with some major family issues and death of my father and regain my strength after a bad bout of Lyme. My name Lyme Lyte is to bring bring Awarness to Lyme disease, plus I like being in the “Lymelight”. 🙂

• PhnixxRed

July 12, 2013 at 2:03 pm

You can use me and my name in your project! If you want to do a Skype or video chat interview, I'll give you the info needed https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

I am 23 YO, and I will turn 24 this October. Yay Libras!

I have been pole dancing on and off since 2009. I took breaks due to pregnancy and recovery. I have started again as of March 2013 and I plan to enter an amateur competition next year.

I got into pole by dancing in a club. I was a broke college student and fresh out of basic training and high school. My tuition was paid for, but I couldn't find a job to work around my classes. I danced for a year and moved to Texas. After getting pregnant with my daughter, I started up again and took classes. I moved, got pregnant again, and now I'm currently taking classes in Indiana. 

When I was a dancer, I had a knock out body. Oh, I'm so envious! LOL! After I had my daughter, the baby weight wouldn't come off and pole was what worked for me. Even though I started off by being a dancer, I couldn't help but feel it was personal to me. When I perform, I don't feel myself. I feel as though I am someone else. When the music is on, I transform into a totally different being and I feel as though I'm flying. Nothing else gives me a rush. Nothing else is so intimate, yet so public as pole for me. It's my misunderstood red-headed love child that completely understands me, despite others not comprehending our relationship. In the pole community, I'm free to be who I truly am without being judged and nothing else out there offers that support for me.

I found Studio Veena on Google while trying to find pole studios in my area. I spend about 1-3 hrs per day on here, even if I'm just reading and watching videos. 

My name is Phnixx or PhnixxRed, depending on what I'm doing and how I'm feeling. My father is really big into computers and I admire my father a lot. As a little kid, I used to try to sit up and watch him work on computers and learn as much as I could. My father's first email address had phnixx in it. So, as homage I am Phnixx (or PhnixxRed, since my favorite color is red). For me, I came from a background that had nothing to do with pole (rising from nothing/ashes) into an aspiring pole dancer and future competitor. As a result, the name holds lots of value for me. 

If there are any other questions, feel free to email me phnixxred@gmail.com 🙂 Thanks for the opportunity to tell my story.

• JBStarryEyedGirl

July 12, 2013 at 2:07 pm

My Pole Story:

How old are you?

– 29 years old

– 3 years 

– I wrote a blog about this, but in short summary, I tried a class, loved it and never stopped going. 

http://pinklemonstudio.com/why-pole-dancing-part-1/

Why pole dancing and not something else?/What makes pole dancing special to you?

– It's the first exercise that I've never gotten bored it. It stimulates my mind, faces me to confront and conquer my fears, and it makes me feel purposeful. It has changed me as a person, it has changed my life, and it has affected how I react to the world around me. If I'm not talking about it, watching it, or doing it, I'm probably dreaming about it. Pole is special because of the community, we are all pole sisters in this endeavor, and we are all proud of each other. 

How did you first find out about Studio Veena?

– I found SV shortly after my first class. I was watching Tara Karina and her comments mentioned she learned online. I made an account and I've been addicted ever since. 

How much time do you spend on here? (hours a day/week/month)

– At least a few hours every week, usually every few days. Sometimes it goes a week or two when life gets crazy, but I try to keep connected here. I wish I had more time to make videos!

– I've changed it twice now lol. I've always been told I "had my head in clouds", I'd rather think I have "stars in my eyes"…

Please feel free to use my information. Thank you for choosing pole as your project subject, and I hope this helps!

Jennifer Scholl

Owner, Pink Lemon Studio

St Louis, Mo

• Hazi411

July 13, 2013 at 3:46 am

Hi there

I am 57

Been poling 3 years and a bit (March 6, 2010)

Saw a demonstration of pole dancing at a Womens' Expo and thought it looked like fun

Why pole dancing and not something else? I wasn't actually looking for a form of exercise to try.  It just looked like a fun thing to do.  I've never been "sporty" at all – hated games at school (and have very unhappy memories of it), poor hand-eye coordination etc.  Did ballet as a child for two short periods, and contortion, which I enjoyed.  Pole dancing is special to me because I love everything about poledancing  – strength, flexibility, creativity etc. I guess I was looking (subconsciously) for "something" which was missing in my life. I think the fact that it could be considered a bit "naughty/shocking" didn't hurt, either!

My user name is a nickname that one of my ex-bosses used for me.  No-one else has ever called me that.  It's far enough from my real name that people wouldn't necessarily know who I am (though now I don't really care if they do or not!)

I think I must've googled and found Studio Veena.  Can't remember.

I'm on SV most days, mainly "lurking" in the forum and posting occasionally.  Probably about 10-20 mins a day.

• Autumn Sky

July 13, 2013 at 8:03 am

I'm 44 and have been poling for 16 months. I am extremely shy around people and have a lot of anxiety. For three years in a row my New Years resolution was to take a group fitness class to try and help me overcome my shyness. Going to a gym seemed to overwhelming so I thought a dance class would be a better option. I was thinking ballet, but when I googled dance classes in my area, pole dance fitness classes popped up too! I was intrigued. I thought, if I can do that kind of movement in front of others I don't know, that would surely push me out of my comfort zone and help me with my shyness and self confidence. Pole dancing has done all those things and more. It has changed my life.

I found StudioVeena through an advertisement in a booklet I got at a pole dance competition. I probably spend about a total of 2 hours a week on here reading and replying to the forums, watching videos.

When picking a "stage name" I wanted something that represented me. Autumn is my favorite season, the air is crisp, the leaves change to such beautiful colors, and the excitement of the holidays being right around the corner is in the air. I knew I wanted the name Sky in there because it represents how I have gotten out of my 'hole of isolation and anxiety" and learned to soar and now try things I would have never tried before. Sky also represents "the sky's the limit", I now know that with proper instruction and practice, there is nothing I can't do.

• PandalinaHooker

July 13, 2013 at 8:35 am

Wow! What a diverse group! I've really enjoyed reading your responses and just want to say thanks so much for letting me learn more about ya'll, and I look forward to reading more! 🙂

• Angie La

July 13, 2013 at 11:48 pm
  • villainvixen

July 14, 2013 at 1:18 am

How old are you? 26

How long have you been pole-dancing? Just over a year

What got you into pole dancing? On my orientation day of film school, I met a girl named Suzy Q. When everyone was asked to talk about themselves in front of everyone, she told everyone she was a pole dancer and the greatness of pole fitness. It wasn't until nearly a year or so after that (still in film school) I found out she was teaching a beginner class and I decided to take it in hopes of a new way to lose weight and tone up. She like a few other people on StudioVeena told me it's not just to lose weight, it's also fun. And it was! Hard as hell, but fun! I still remember the muscle aches =P 

Why pole dancing and not something else?/What makes pole dancing special to you? Hm, that's a hard one to answer. Before pole dancing, I was pretty lazy. I didn't like to do much. I hated dancing, because I was an awkward dancer. No coordination, no rhythm. It was quite sad. Also, I was 50 pounds heavier. There goes mentioning weight again. Unfortunately, that was a big part of why I got into pole dancing. Hoping once and for all to lose the extra baggage. It was the actual journey into pole where I realized, its more than just a 'fad' to exercise. If it wasn't more to me, I would've quit after my first pole classes. Because few of the girls were nice to me. They acted as if I shouldn't be there, laughing or making fun of me behind my back. But I held my chin up and kept going to class. (not just because I was paying for it either lol) 

How did you first find out about Studio Veena? How much time do you spend on here? (hours a day/week/month) Actually, I found out about her through YouTube first. Randomly searching for new tricks WAY before I got my own pole. But at the time, since I didn't have a pole, vigorous studying of tricks was not at the top of my list. So I didn't pay attention all that well. After I got my 50mm chrome, famously named RockyHorror1, I got the little postcard for 3 days of free lessons. But I didn't go redeem it right away. It was probably a few months before I did so. It was only after finding another video via YouTube by accident I remembered "Oh! I have free lessons on that site!" 

I saved the link to StudioVeena at the top of my browser. Just a click and here I am lol. I'm here just about everyday. 

How did you choose your tag (AKA User Name)? VillainVixen… I've had variations of villain since I was 16. email and such. My favorite supervillain is Harley Quinn. 

• Kobajo84

July 14, 2013 at 9:24 am

How old are you? 29

How long have you been pole-dancing? 5 years this month.

What got you into pole dancing? I had always been intrigued and when I got the opportunity to take a class I immediately signed up.  I wrote a detailed blog about this as well: http://www.poleharmony.blogspot.com/2011/10/what-pole-dancing-has-taught-me-lesson.html

Pole dancing is special to me in so many ways.  Pole dancing has impacted me in more than just being a diversion to the monotony of my daily living.  It's helped rehabilitate my lungs when I was diagnosed with a lung condition and was told if I didn't engage in an exercise regimen my lungs may not have recovered.  Prior to meeting my husband, my pole has also been the most consistent relationship in my life through difficult life changes, losses, and loneliness.  It's given me a reason to reach deep inside myself to find my inner and outer strengths. 

How did you first find out about Studio Veena? How much time do you spend on here? (hours a day/week/month)

I found SV back in the very early days of the website's launch.  I've been a member since August 2008.  I believe I stumbled across one of Tara Karina's videos and she had the site linked into her description. 

My username is the first 2 letters of my entire name and the year I was born.  I'm married now so the last two letter no longer apply but I have kept it because they sound better than my married name's two letters would. 

• BassAddict

July 14, 2013 at 2:12 pm

How old are you? 24

How long have you been pole-dancing? A little over a year

What got you into pole dancing? I originally wanted to learn silks and  I saw the amazing things that could be done with pole and saw it as a stepping stone to silks as soon as I found out there was a studio in Sonoma County I jumped on it. I fell in love with pole and dont even worry about silks for now.

Why pole dancing and not something else?/What makes pole dancing special to you? I do have other hobbies but I love and have stuck with this one because it challenges me, gives me a sense of accomplishment, I love moving around to music, I love bending my body in crazy ways, spin mode gives me a rush and poling makes me feel strong and sexy. I dont get bored with it because there are always new things being invented. 

How did you first find out about Studio Veena? How much time do you spend on here? (hours a day/week/month) I found out about this site when my pole arrived, it had a little advertisement card in the package for this and I checked it out. loved it right away. I love watching the vids of all the amazing people on the site and having a place I can ask questions when I hit a snag with something.

How did you choose your tag (AKA User Name)? I choose my name based on music, I love bass so I chose bassaddict. I was still new to poling when I chose this and would practice A LOT to ukf dubstep music. Id probably change it to something else now that Ive reached an advanced level of pole and my practice music has changed more now too.

• BassAddict

July 14, 2013 at 2:14 pm

You can use any information you want to, Im a very open poler

• kaygee10

July 14, 2013 at 4:12 pm

im 22

ive been pole dancing for about 2 years. but i first became interested in pole dancing after hearing about a women who owned a studio in seattle on the news back when i was 13. seems a little contraversial for a minor to be interested in pole dancing, but i didnt see anything wrong with it. the instructors were all wearing tank tops and leggings but were doing really cool tricks, and i just thought "woah i wanna go upside down". from there, i knew it was something i wanted to try or have in my home when i became older. as i got older and puberty came and left i developed insecurities, ive always had a weight issue but it wasnt until highschool that i engaged in unhealthy restrictive eating and over exercising. in other words i had an eating disorder because i always felt like my weight made me unattractive. and anyone who has had anorexia nervosa knows it doesnt really go away. Finally, freshman year of college, a bad breakup sparked this incredible impulse to do something for myself. i had just enough money saved to invest in my own pole. and boom. thats what i did. i purchased my own 45mm chrome x pole and we have been in love ever since. pole dancing has heeled and mended wounds no man, woman, medicine, exercise ever could have. not only am i a healthy weight, i could careless whether i gain or lose. i know how special i am. how beautiful, powerful, and strong my body mind and spirit has become. it has motivated me to become more knowledgable about nutrien and the human anatomy, continue my dance education. and even push myself to being successful in school (i made dean's list lol) so that one day i could become apart of a team of pole enthusiats and spread the joy. i honestly and truthfully believe it will change the lives of any women (i am a woman so i speak for women) for the better. it empowers them to embrace their desired sexuality and femminity in which we are taught by society to suppress, and express themselves in a safe, non judgemental environment, and really channel the energy of they inner goddesses they are

• kaygee10

July 14, 2013 at 4:23 pm

its possible i spend 2-6 hours a week on studioveena. i receive notifications on my phone, so if im waiting at the DMV or a passenger in a car…or waiting anywhere, ill just watch videos or waste time in the forums recieving and discussing tips or what not.

• kaygee10

July 14, 2013 at 4:37 pm

jelli crew's story is really inspiring i hope you put hers in for seriously. i almost had a tear especially when the icing on the cake with that iron x she does at the end.

• ChevaleresseMommy

July 14, 2013 at 8:27 pm

How old are you?

I am 24 going to b 25 this month.

Off and on for 2 to 3 yrs. Had to break for Pregnancy and recovery.

I actually found out about it while I was dancing. I had to start dancing because my fiancee 30.00/hr wasnt enough to keep us afloat. So I started dancing and I ran into a girl that did really amazing tricks on the pole. I asked her how she did it and she told me its pole fitness. She didn't go into huge detail,but I looked it up later. I fell in love with it. Honestly I feel like if I hadn't learned about this i would not be the person I am today.

Why pole dancing and not something else?

I have never fit in and have always felt like I was a oddball. That and I have been judged my whole life. Bullied and so has Pole Fitness. Its misunderstood and judged. It kind of suited me and I turned out to be pretty good at it once i learned and practiced. Its art and it takes strength.

What makes pole dancing special to you?

It has helped me cope with my feelings and emotions. I had a very terrifying childhood and have always had issues talking about it. But it was always in my head, when I hopped on the pole I didn't have to think. Just dance and it gave me a little comfort and made each day less painful. This allowed for me to let my guard down and embrace my relationship with my man. My  whole life I felt like nothing and a nobody bc of how my parents treated me. I come from a very broken family. I lived 19 years of my life in terror and fear. I experienced stuff no child should ever have to go through. I was bullied in school everyday 8th grade till out of High School. I tried to stand up for myself one time and in return for the rest of the year this girl got the whole bus to chant trailer trash. I heard it twice a day everyday. I had no one to talk to about it so I learned to feel no emotion. My parents didn't want to listen to me and if i cried i was weak. I wasn't allowed to cry. When I wasn't bullied at school I was getting yelled at and hit at home. My own mom made me feel so worthless, I wished she had aborted me. When i met my fiancee I was a wreck and very guarded. I didn't let him close to me. Shortly after we met I danced as mentioned above. I got into this and it helped me cope with my past demons. Im not over all of them because there are alot. But it allows me to feel good about my self and Like I am a somebody. Its made me realize that those who have hurt me were in the wrong not me. They had issues not me. That it wasn't my fault they treated me this way. It cleared my head enough to sort through these situations. Pole fitness saved me and my relationship. It means alot to me. I'm obsessed with it. I just wish I had more time. It also helped with the passing of my Aunt here this year. She, my grandma & Grandpa were why I made it thru my childhood and teen years. They were the little light I had in my world of darkness. But their safety and embrace only stretched far enough to provide me financially. As well to give me the love I needed to be able to love those I cherished in my life. My grandmother offered to buy me from my mom because of the life I lived in her care. My mom said no because than she couldnt get child support or food stamps. My grandmother told me one time she went over to my house and my mom had been gone for a couple days. My mom left me with a babysitter and they let me cry in bedroom. My grandma said I was filthy, hadnt been changed or fed. She took me home and my mom showed up 3 days later. Any whos as you can see my life wasnt the best. It has made me strong, but poling has helped me regain my confidence and find myself. Its amazing.

How did you first find out about Studio Veena?

I was looking for pole fitness classes because there were none in my area. It was the first site that popped up. I checked it out and loved the site immediately. Became a paid member that same day.

How much time do you spend on here? (hours a day/week/month)

It varies. Sometimes everyday for an hour. Other times maybe 1 or 2 a week.

Chevaleresse is French for Female Knight. And I am a mommy of three. They sounded good together.

I apologize if I went to in depth for this. I just started typing and ended up with that. Sorry if to long. Your welcome to use this if you would like

If need to get ahold of me feel free to message me on here or message me

This was a awesome thread. I loved reading everyones stories and think it was a good subject for you to pick for discussion.

Page 1 of 3