StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions The evil knee hold!!

• Originalribenababy

June 28, 2011 at 2:06 pm

The unhooked version looks beautiful 🙂

• Kira

June 28, 2011 at 4:31 pm

bit of a dumb question but here goes… is there a 'wrong' place to place the lower leg? Because I rest the pole quite low down on my leg (I think that's my sweet spot… it's the place where it doesn't hurt as much!) but some people tell me to put it just under my knee cap where there's a little groove but it doesn't feel as stable or as comfy and I don't have as much of a constant success rate when I rest it there. Have I just conditioned my leg to rest it in the wrong position? just asking because when I see photos of people it looks like they rest it nearer the knee…. 

• polergirl

June 28, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Mine is more on my shin than on my kneecap–I think that's a good way to hurt your knee. I'd say the pole hits about 4 inches below my kneecap, at a pretty sharp angle so it's on the big muscle that goes over the shin…. your mileage may vary, lol

• Veena

Administrator
    June 28, 2011 at 6:27 pm

The pole should never be placed on the kneecap or on the soft space between the kneecap and tibia/shin bone. I hope that is not the groove that was suggested!!! Placement will vary though depending on a persons leg length, size ect. 🙂 Use the top hooked leg to keep as much pressure off the bottom leg as possible. It’s a great workout for the hamstrings!!

• chemgoddess1

June 28, 2011 at 10:18 pm

What Veena said!

My "spot" is more on the side than the front.

• luvlee

June 28, 2011 at 10:29 pm

@ Mommabear: No. I was in a studio being taught correct placement. It did not hurt at all. Just the pressure has caused injury. I can not do this one ever again. It is not good for the knees really. I know a few other women who will never do this one again due to injury, but if it works for you, that is very good. It is just to much pressure for me. If I would have known the damage, I would have never done it at all. I just traded all my heels in for flats as I can no longer wear heels now due to my bad knee. : (

• luvlee

June 28, 2011 at 10:29 pm

@ Mommabear: No. I was in a studio being taught correct placement. It did not hurt at all. Just the pressure has caused injury. I can not do this one ever again. It is not good for the knees really. I know a few other women who will never do this one again due to injury, but if it works for you, that is very good. It is just to much pressure for me. If I would have known the damage, I would have never done it at all. I just traded all my heels in for flats as I can no longer wear heels now due to my bad knee. : (

• stardust

June 29, 2011 at 8:28 am

Amy's unhooked knee hold's picture is absolutely gorgeous! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif I recall there was a forum post quite sometime ago, where unhooked knee hold was mentioned.  At that time, I thought is unhooked version even possible?? https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

Well, after poling slightly more than a year now, finally I gave a try on the unhooked version.

Here's mine:

https://www.studioveena.com/photos/view_photo/4de8a3f4-d52c-4cb8-9e48-7aba0ac37250

Thanks for the inspiration! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• Cherished

June 29, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Okay I just got this (5 minutes ago) Yay! – Not solid yet but at least I know I can do it and I finally have something to build on. Don't get discouraged it seems you have to keep tweaking things as you go along and repeated trying strengthens you to get it eventually it also starts to hurt much less. For me I had to have it in my head to push my whole upper body back. Before when I was focusing on the hips it still wasn't enough. When I watched back a video I saw my chest caved in. So I put it in my head to push all of the upper body and not just the hips until I felt like I was going to start swinging backwards and that worked for me (don't know if everyone just does this automatically but I guess my posture isn't so great). Also I don't know about everyone else but my bottom foot has to go on top to help lock. I saw Reiko on youtube with her bottom foot behind but I can't hold it like that (yet!) I also would like to learn how to do it unhooked when I get better at this.

Here is her video – I just love what she does at 5:40  ðŸ™‚  – A new goal for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVcXaePjHRU&feature=feedu

• Shellectra

November 9, 2011 at 5:26 am

Wow permanent knee damage from a knee hold? Thats scary.  Luvlee never answered but I'm guessing it must have been the lower knee? My sweet spot is below the groove below the kneecap so hopefully thats safe 🙂

• polergirl

November 9, 2011 at 7:14 am

My sweet spot is definitely well below the knee–about 2-2.5 inches below the knee and toward the inside of the shin. 

• Shellectra

November 9, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Hmm mine too it seems! And yep to the side. I did 6 in a row yesterday and no bruising, i never had a soon bruise yet. Maybe that means I’ve definitely found the right spot hehe

• Shellectra

November 9, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Oops *shin I mean, stupid phone auto correct

• LizzyLiz810

November 10, 2011 at 12:15 am

I can only do this with my thigh high boots on. It doesnt hurt nearly as much. 

Page 3 of 3