StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Thigh Grip

• Thigh Grip

Posted by Dounut87 on March 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Hi all,

I've been pole dancing for a couple of weeks now and I am having problems with grip on my legs. I'm very good at spins and have no problem with grip on my hands, but for whatever reason I cant seem to do an inverted crucifix or any of the thigh holds.  help!! Any suggestions?

Later replied 13 years, 6 months ago 9 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Riddleboxxy

March 9, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Are you sweating? Or just no grip? You could try the many products Veeners are speaking of on the forums for more grip (such as white distilled vinegar). I'm having a similar problem with my thigh rest, I used to be able to at least get up there.. now the top of my thighs have NO grip and I just slide off… 🙁

• Amaranth

March 9, 2011 at 4:46 pm

If sweat isn't the problem, it could be that you aren't moisturising enough? When I first started pole lots of people recommended not moisturising before working on the pole – it makes the metal slippery and can be really dangerous. I took it to the extreme and stopped moisturising at all on my legs, which I found drastically reduced my grip.

I balance it now, so I moisturise every other day (the same day I pole, after my work out) so my skin is still healthy and therefore grippy. 

I also find that the temperature of the pole and even my body can also affect grip. A warm pole is particularly awkward to stay stuck to!

• lucifairy

March 9, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I agree with Amaranth

I had the same problem and i found that in between poling sessions, exfoliating with a good exfoliant and then moisturising did wonders for my grip!

• Veena

Administrator
    March 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm

The girls have some great idea's! Being nice and fully warmed up before dancing and warming your pole well is soooo helpful! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• Cinara

March 9, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Another thing that helped me was making sure my shorts were short enough, so I could get good grip with the fleshiest part of the top of my thighs. Also when I started out I thought the pole was just too slippery, but then I realised that I just needed to squeeze a lot harder all the way along my legs. Focus on squeezing from the top of your legs to the bottom. If anything it will build your strength.

• Runemist34

March 9, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Sometimes it's as simple as squeezing harder with your legs, and trying to turn your knees in toward each other!

Can you do a pole sit? A Cross ankle or Cross knee release? Sometimes these things will help teach you what you didn't know about thigh holds, too!

Keep trying, and don't worry! We all have these kinds of issues! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• stoneycook

March 9, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Just started this "sitting" thing as well.  Ouch.  Yet one small thing for me really helped anchor my thigh grip, especially  when both legs where  extended to the other side of the pole.  Instead of keeping  a level pelvis, one with both sit bones (ischial tuberosit) are equidistant from the floor, a slight lateral tilt in the pelvis really added to my griping power.  I was amazed how much I could relax my muscle contraction and still feel secure.

When attempting to even curl around the pole while sitting, the pelvis tilt really paid off.  Curl around to the right, tilt the right side low was a winner for me.  Thank you Lindsey.

• Later

April 1, 2011 at 7:10 pm

It may also be as simple as your pole needing to be cleaned. I clean my pole with windex during and after my pole work out. After doing spins etc even if you arent sweating all over your pole you leave residual oils on the pole and this can cause you to slip. Sometimes when I try and do moves such as the inverted crucifix I will have the right hold however there will be oils that cause me to slide down!