StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Things to know BEFORE you buy a pole!!!

• PennyGirl

February 18, 2010 at 3:27 am

I have a lil mynx stainless steel rotator I love it but it just a little slippery plus I need to increase my grip strength but it funny because we use the same pole at the studio I go to the only difference is my pole is shorter and it rotates … I am not sure why but my grip strength with the studio pole was much better??? maybe because the studio poles get more use

I have been thinking of getting another pole. I have had the opportunity to use the xpole chrome I think? at a pole jam with bertsybooboo and a few others from SV and felt it to be the same as using the my lil mynx both good quality poles I would say

but because I am not extremely familiar with the xpole, I am wondering which may be more stable of the xpole for 45mm or 50mm for a curvy lady like me?

Cream I have the SAME problem. I have a lil mynx rotator. The one in the gym is way stickier than the one I have at home. I noticed if I turn the temp down iin the house (usually 68F) the pole gets grippier. I think the gym is cooler than my home so this helps the problem. Have you tried that? Just coling down the room before you practice a little bit?

• Chream

February 18, 2010 at 3:08 pm

thanks for the tip penny girl that could be just the thing because it is usually really warm in the room I practice in … thanks so much for the tip. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• chilli_d

March 16, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I have the chrome X-pole and its fab! its the sturdiest thing i’ve ever been on and I’ve never taken it down or re-tightened it in over a year (NOT what the company recommend so dont copy https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_razz.gif) my x-pole is 11’5 and i would be confident about death laying at the top (or at least as confident as one can be at death laying https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif also im not that good haha) but i do arial inverts and supermans up there and it doesn’t budge!
    @cream, as for grip on the chrome sometimes it can be good, sometimes bad it depends on the weather/humidity of the room .. what I do find though is that before you warm up its slippy and after you’ve been on it for a while and you’re all sweaty, its slippy but theres a point in between where you get kind of tacky and your skin sticks brilliantly! I just adapt my workout to how my body is – do spins when im slipping more and inverts when im gripping more. (btw slippy to me is not flying off the pole but more like i can’t hold a pole sit or invert without sliding slowly or working really hard to stay there). you may find that the reason turning down the temp works is because its stopping you sweat a load before you start.
    Char xx

• kelbell

June 3, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I have not bought a pole yet and have spent soooo much time reading over everyone’s opinions on the various options. X Pole seems to be the favorite but I am wondering if it is easily removable. After reading some of the posts about Lil Mynx and checking out their site, I can tell that they are easy to remove. Just trying to determine if the X Poles are.

• chilli_d

June 3, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Hey Kelbell,
    the x poles are completely removable – you just unscrew the bottom bit and then lower the pole down. The actual pole itself unscrews with an alan key – the old x poles used to be screwed together and could sometimes get stuck (so if you go for the x-pole get the super release tools as well!) but the new x-sport poles have a different locking mechanism by putting a small cylinder half in the top part and half in the bottom and unscrewing it so it expands and locks the 2 parts together. we have these at class on the stage poles and they do keep getting stuck, but I have a friend who hasn’t had any problem with hers .. just make sure you unscrew/lock it as much as you can so it doesn’t twist around inside the pole (covering the alan key hole)
    Hope this helps with the X pole, I’ve not had any experience with other brands xx

• pinksheep

June 27, 2010 at 4:51 am

Okay, question…..I am wanting to order my pole, my ceilings is 9ft 1/2 inch …do i need to get an extension for a 1/2 a inch?

• hookedonpole

July 10, 2010 at 5:42 pm

veena, you posted you like x-pole in chrome. Evidently you have an older version? Do you know anything about the new ones? I’ve read comments about various issues with those who have purchased one more recently. Thanks.

• polefairy

July 10, 2010 at 8:21 pm

veena, you posted you like x-pole in chrome. Evidently you have an older version? Do you know anything about the new ones? I’ve read comments about various issues with those who have purchased one more recently. Thanks.
    Hey hookedonpole,

I bought the chrome x-pole in October and have had no issues with it. Best money I ever spent https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• PennyGirl

July 30, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I started on a lil mynx. The pole has a small round plastic part that bolts to the stud in the ceiling. After measuring the pole ( to ensure tension) the pole is lifted to couple with the bolted plastic part on the ceiling. Because the pole is spring loaded, the part that is in contact with the ceiling connector will have tension, so you have to really push up on the pole to get it into place ( without dragging the rubber feet) The pole comes in one complete piece, so it is harder to put away. However, the pole does leave a small plastic hook inside of the mount which you an eventually remove when you no longer want to use the pole. after taking down my pole I noticed quite a bit of damage to the plaster. I had to re-plaster the ceiling because the mount for the lil mynx sometimes rotates with the pole. Not a big deal, just took a couple of minutes.

Now I have an Xpert pole. I love the x-pert, but you absolutely have to follow the instructions to a T, or you will ruin the pole. The pole comes in several pieces and with carrying bags, so it is easy to take with you anywhere. The pole has "Xjoints" which are heavy expanding cylinders. These joints are what connect the pole pieces together. They are pretty darn sturdy. It takes about fifteen to twenty minutes to put it together the first time, and that time quickly decreases once you understand how to do it and once you become familiar with the use of the parts. The joints go into the end portions of the pole pieces. The joints have each two holes in them where a hidden hex screw is and the pole pieces each have one hole at the very joining edge. The holes in the poles meet with the holes in the joint once the joint is placed inside the pole. The holes meet up so you can use a wrench to gain access to the joint’s hex screw to tighten. Once all of the poles have been connected with joints the pole is erected and the pole can be made tighter to the ceiling by turning the adjuster at the bottom. So, it’s not a difficult process, but it can take some time if you aren’t familiar with the parts and how they work. This is not in anyway an instructional, so if you are putting the pole together please refer to the instruction manual it comes with. I just wanted to take some of the mystery out of the xpert for some people like me who might be new to the process.
    hope this helps you some. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• MissKitty83

August 29, 2010 at 1:54 am

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Markstaar pole kit. Has anyone used one or know someone that’s used one? I know you get what you pay for, especially after hearing everyone here rave about the xpole, but could I get some feedback on this? I’m looking to buy my first pole and was curious if this was a viable option. Here’s the link. Thanks!

http://www.markstaar.com/product/DANCE-POLE-KITS/2-STAINLESS-STEEL-DANCE-POLE-KIT.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~Miss Kitty

• BACE16

August 29, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Haven’t used that Markstaar pole that you linked, but just looking at the bracket used, it might be a pain. First off you’re screwing it in. The studio I used to go to had poles with that kind of bracket screwed into hardwood floors and into the ceiling. Might just be that studio, but the screws would come little by little. Forget about putting your foot anywhere near the pole on the floor. Not an expert, but lets say that average ceiling joist is only 2in wide, your pole is 2in diameter, obviously with the ceiling bracket like that, all 3 screws are not going into the joist. Which means wobbly pole and falling powdered drywall and screw from the hole where that last screw went it, but didn’t actually attach to anything. Again, just my experience with poles in the studio I *used* to go to and only looking at the bracket. I have never used a Markstaar pole.

However, I have used a Lil Mynx at home. The single screw into the middle of the ceiling joist does very well. It was only after using it for 2 years and monthly taking it down/putting up that I started to see a little wobbling and the surface around the ceiling mount start to get damaged. The screw had slipped out slightly, I just tightened it back up and it was fine. I had never checked or tightened it in the 2 years before that time, I probably should have.

• MissKitty83

August 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Thanks for your feedback Bace.

~Miss Kitty

• Melrose

September 5, 2010 at 2:08 am

I have to chime in for Lil Mynx…I love their poles! I prefer Lil Mynx to X-Pole or Platinum Stages even tho, imho, they aren’t as well known. For those of you who have slippery poles, you might want to invest in a dehumidifier. My pole is in the basement and getting a dehumidifier (combined with giving the pole a little love every day) really helped with the slip factor.

• polevixen0213

December 13, 2010 at 11:33 pm

are there any good poles that don’t cost $400….geeze! I want one SO bad…but a SAHM s sallery doesn’t pay that well!

• Audball

December 14, 2010 at 12:39 am

There are poles second hand on gumtree and craigslist and the likes, if you can somehow verify its real, hten you could go for one of those, some of them are new and unwanted gifts. (Yes, there are people out there who don’t want poles!?!) And if you have a look around and enquire on facebook there tends to be people or studios selling xpoles, and that way you know they’re trustworthy. Good luck finding a pole! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

Page 4 of 6