StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Too Old in Texas?

• Too Old in Texas?

Posted by LoneStarDiva on March 22, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Hi everyone!  This appears to be the best place online to learn to pole dance… BUT…  I'm 57!!  (Eeek)  I've never had much arm strength and my bottom has always been a size bigger than my top.

I found an Electra pole at a garage sale and decided to surprise my BF w/'a pole dance, but geeze.. I had no idea it was gonna be so hard.  I don't care.  I'm determined.  And besides, I need to shape up.. I'm sooo 'puny'.  Yuk.  (Was really pleased after joining to see in the intro that there are strength training videos.. yay!!)

I hope to learn from you all and maybe even get a little inspiration (or maybe BE inspiring?. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

My daughter danced for years and was very athletic (but I never watched her) from what she said.  So…. Just so you know.. not judgmental, here! 🙂

I'm located between Dallas and Austin and visit both when I can.  Sooo…. what's a Pole Jam???  Just the name sound FUN.. Maybe a good goal to aspire to. 🙂

Oh.. I'm between Dallas and Austin

LoneStarDiva replied 13 years, 6 months ago 21 Members · 28 Replies
  • 28 Replies
  • JBStarryEyedGirl

March 22, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Yea! For you!! 57 is not too old to start! There are studios in Dallas (vertical fitness) and austin (brass ovaries) and I’m sure there are more. I would recommend you start with more dance moves to tone up. I would NOT recommend you use the Electra pole for any inverts or moves that put your whole weight on the pole, these are novelty poles and not safe.

Happy poling and welcome to SV!

• LoneStarDiva

March 22, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Thanks STL..   I'll upgrade my pole as soon as I get myself off the ground for 5 seconds!! lol

• JBStarryEyedGirl

March 22, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Lolz! Pole is Soo addiciting, you’ll be off the floor before you know! 🙂

• chemgoddess1

March 22, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Welcome to the addiction!  It is NEVER too old to start pole dancing!!  Just keep in mind that some things may take longer or you may no longer have as much flexibility or even you may need a little longer to recoup after a hard day poling.  Do not let any of this discourage you.  I get so many comments of "I hope to look as good as you at your age" and I am only 42.  I think there are a few ladies in their 50's here.  Also, on Facebook there is a group called the Grande Dames of Pole.  Check them out.

• Riddleboxxy

March 22, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of poling and SV!! Don't let your age get to you 🙂 There are lots of women in their 50s who pole, there is even a woman at a studio who I believe is… 67? Such an inspiration!!! 😀

• LoneStarDiva

March 22, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Thanks Chem an Riddle.  I checked out the Grand Dames… Nice to see living proof that old bags CAN get on a pole.  Whew.. I was starting to worry. :):)

One thing I have managed to do right the last few years is get rid of 55 lbs.  That should help, but man… My puny arms.. they're like shriveled up feeling.  I was a massage therapist and kep them in pretty good shape until the last couple of years… Just gone to jello. LOL

No worry… I"ll get 'em built up.. If it takes all summer!!

So glad to have some 'friends' on here.  Thanks, Y'all. 😉

• Runemist34

March 22, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Hi LoneStarDiva! It's wonderful to see you stepping out and not being afraid…I love it when people can do that!

I'll tell you one thing…I asked the owner of the previous local pole studio once "What was the age of the eldest person she taught?"

Her answer…someone in her 70's! And apparently she was HOT, too! 

So, no, it's NEVER too late to start dancing, just the same as it's never too late to start learning music, drawing, or anything else!

• LoneStarDiva

March 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Cool RUnemist… My ex was 73 and could do things that would make a 40 year old have a hernia!

I'll get there….. :):)  Just did the warm up, pole lunge, and pole squats.  I just have to be careful of  my 'ailing' parts til the muscles get in shape to support them!  (Left hospital in August at 6 am to avoid knee replacement and have a bad L5/S1 Deg. disk.)

Slow and easy does it.  Hmm.. I'm thinkin another round of HCG Diet to shed another 20 lbs would be helpful.  First I'll try to get in shape tho, cause can't exercise on that protocol. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_surprised.gif

• LoneStarDiva

March 22, 2011 at 6:24 pm

My god.. I never SWEAT https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif  What IS this stuff??????  The beginning of fitness??? https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• PhillyPoleJess

March 22, 2011 at 6:39 pm

If you are not to old  to lose 55lbs than you are not to old to pole dance.  Losing that much weight shows that you are dedicated and determined which are very important qualities in a pole dancer!  Congrats by the way.

As women most of us have naturally weaker upper bodies and a good bit are thicker on the bottom.  Just remember in life we crawl before we walk and walk before we run.

Fran is in her early 50's and has been pole dancing several years now.  She said she worked out before pole to stay healthy but nothing hardcore like pole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EHvIW9WXbU

• LoneStarDiva

March 22, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Awesome video… totally inspiring.  Thanks!

You know what's crazy?  At this point… I just want to do this because it's actually gonna be one of the hardest things I've ever expected of myself; and I know when I get there I'm going to be extrmely proud of myself – not to mention stronger and healthier than I've ever been.

It's like.. the One thing I've never accomplished (besides friggin algebra! LOL)  – Being in really good shape and physically Strong.  I can just see it when I watch videos like this.  (And 'feel' it sitting here with my first sore muscles. :):)

• JeHanne

March 22, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Hi LoneStarDiva!!! Awesome screen name by the way! 

You have a great attitude and will have a blast. You are not too old to do this… those type of thoughts just keep us from doing what we want. So push that limiting thought to the side and get ready to have fun.

Enjoy! These forums are full of great information and really fun and supportive people. 

: )

JeHanne

• ginger78

March 23, 2011 at 12:42 am

You go girl.  Your only as old as you feel.  Im 42 and loving every minute of it.  Pole has been the best thing for giving me back my youth and SEXY fun attitude.  Your never too old !!! Now sore, that is something that gets easier with time, comes and goes as you advance. Take it slow, build your strength, and enjoy.

https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif GIN78LIN, California

• Scarlett Honey aka Lola Grace

March 23, 2011 at 1:21 am

I love the saying: You dont slow down when you get old, you get old when you slow down. 

I mean, obviously you should respect the years your body has been functioning and dont go doing any damage by trying a pole trick that you arent ready for, but age is no indicator of strength, fitness or abiltiy, lifestyle and attitude is the determining factor.

At my old studio there is a woman in her late 50's who enrols in about 5 advanced classes simultaneously each week! She must be retired to find the time to attend that many classes and practice sessions, but she is AMAZING. So so strong, she's all sinews and muscle. I remembver being so jelous and in awe of her strength… she would definitely be stronger than me and im 23!!! So yep, its not the age of your body, its what you do with it. 🙂 

Anyway, all the best, and just so u know, your enthusiastic and optimistic attitude is so refreshing and inspiring! Cant wait till you are hooked and uploading videos and entering comps and blowing us all away! 🙂  I would def recommend getting lessons – particularly to begin with. Its a much safer and more specific way to learn. Have FUN!!! 🙂 

• Hazi411

March 23, 2011 at 7:00 am

You ladies/girls are so inspiring 🙂  I am 55 and started poling a year ago.  Loved it from the get-go.  Thanks heaps for the pointer to Grande Dames of Pole on F/book – I've just joined.  Wasn't aware of them until now.

https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/4d4d1573-536c-495f-b1bb-7e8a0ac37250, I love every minute of pole, too!

https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/4d88fa38-7ee0-4d89-a2dc-67fb0ac37250, my arms were pretty weak, too, but a year of poling has seen me actually develop some bicep muscles 😉

Keep on poling…us older ladies rock!!

Page 1 of 2