StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Training for First Competition: The Secrets

• Training for First Competition: The Secrets

Posted by mrsdigallo on November 1, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Hello All!

I have decided to train for my first pole competition. I have not yet chosen the event because I am not sure how long it will take to train. That is where you guys come in! Please message me if you have any experience in the area of "preparing for your first competition".

I have been pole dancing now for just 6 months but have fallen in love with the SPORT and with my background in classical ballet I think I have done well in picking up the technique quickly. I have an array of tricks under my belt but still need MORE training!

If you have any answers to my questions, PLEASE post! OR I'm sure I will leave out some key aspects to preparation so HELP ME fill in the blanks.

1. Should I revamp my diet? More protein? Lean out? More vitamins?

2. How many months should I give myself to prepare a routine?

3. Where do you go to look for entry level competitions?

4. If you win a competition, what's next? What is the road to a Pro Poler?

5. Should I be concerned about competition constume just yet?

6. How long do routines usually last?

7. Aside from pole routines and tricks, should I be going to the gym for extra upper body workouts?

8. Any advice on vitamin supplements?

9. What do you bring with you to competition?

10. Does anyone have any competition stories?

*** any other comments would be greatly appreciated!

un besito! Cuidate!

MarinaDancin replied 12 years, 1 month ago 9 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Danielle Tillie

November 1, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I look forward to seeing some replies from this thread! I'm considering competing as well. 🙂

• LizzyLiz810

November 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Ive only competed once, this past saturday. It was on a Platinum stages 1.75 inch SSA. I have to say it was awesome. The grip was phenomenal. If you are going to compete, get used to practicing on different types of poles (sometimes problems occur and poles need to be swapped for different types last second.) That happened recently at California Pole Dance. The girls were expecting permanent poles, and had to use stage poles last minute. I would say to practice on different size poles, different finishes, stage poles, at different studios cuz sometimes the temperature is different, and u might not stick as well, etc. Practice with different grip aids, etc. 

• Runemist34

November 1, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Hey!

Well, I can only answer a couple of these, as I've never technically competed before, but I've done a few Burlesque performances, and most performances seem to be similar in their needs.

So,

#2: You should give yourself as much time as possible to get a routine going! Seriously, you should know your routine and music so well you don't even need to think about it! That way, you can almost put your body on autopilot and it'll move to the music just like you taught it to, and you can work on things like facial expression, beautiful hand placement, and feeling. It's also a good idea because if you suddenly discover a problem, say that your routine is too long or short, you can give yourself enough time to adjust things!

#5: Costumes are one of those things that I would say should be just as practiced as your routine. Obviously, when it comes to burlesque, your costume practically IS your routine, but say you get a beautiful costume, and you start wearing it only a month before your competition, but you've been practicing your routine a long time…and then, oh no! The night before, something bad happens! Or you discover that your boobs aren't properly held in! Or you can't walk in your heels for a long time! These are very good things to know WELL in advance, so that you can deal with the issues before crunch time!

#9: Again, my advice is more for performance than a competition, but I usually bring things like needle and thread, safety pins, change of clothes, water (very important!), bandaids (who knows!), and some emergency rations, because you're more prone to reacting worse to nervousness when you're low on food. The safety pins have come in handy for other performers as well (along with bobby pins!), because sometimes the environment is different from what you expected or are used to, such as a sweltering, sweaty, tiny space, and your hair just won't go the way you want it to, or you've torn a zipper!

Otherwise, I'd be cautious about changing things in your routine, workout and diet. These things can sometimes be useful, but you're not a bodybuilder, you're a dancer! You don't want to find yourself suddenly weak from lack of food or too much pressure put on your body. If you practice your routine enough times, I'm sure it would give you enough of a workout, AND it would be directly tailored to your performance at a competition!

My other advice is this: Go for moves you KNOW, back and front, both sides, and can do with grace and style, instead of more impressive moves that you struggle to do. That way, you keep some moves in your trick bag to practice and get to know better, so that if you do continue on, you can pull those out…and also, things look polished, beautiful, and you're not straining or in danger of hurting yourself.

And…Have fun! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• Laura KittyCat

November 2, 2011 at 6:24 am

Put together a list of moves you like to do and are good at. Try to find ways of combining moves so that they look unique. You want the judges to be wondering what is comming next, not to be able to say “shes about to climb the pole”.

Also, pick a song before you pick a costume. That way your costume will go with your song- adding a theme will give you extra points. I think every competition is different, but the one I have competed in set the song for less than four minutes. It seemed short until i got my routine together and practiced it- i was worn out half way through!

Also, dont wear yourself out working out too much and definately have fun! Be yourself!

As far as finding a competition, ask arround to studios in your area. They may do special student-only competitions.

Good Luck!

• minicoopergrl

November 2, 2011 at 8:47 am

Ive been a pole dance competitior since 2008, I have lots of experience from pole and cheer.  I was a competitive cheerleader for almost 10yrs and won LOTS of titles.

1. Should I revamp my diet? More protein? Lean out? More vitamins? I would focus on eating healthy, watch what you eat.  Dont get too crazy over your diet.  Lots of water!

2. How many months should I give myself to prepare a routine? Depending on when the comp is.  Some do announce early .  The one im in announces the prelim rounds 5 months in advance.  Im doing all 3 catagories so I focus on each routine hardcore for about 6 weeks and then clean it up during the last part.

3. Where do you go to look for entry level competitions? subscribe to all the studios newsletters in your area.  They will know whats local and worth it.  Lots of FB stalking as well!

4. If you win a competition, what's next? What is the road to a Pro Poler? Thats all on you and what you want to do with pole.  Read contracts carefully, some comps if you win you are not allowed to promote another comp during your reign.   To become pro with USPDF you have to earn you pro status.  You have to compete in the amateur round and earn the title.  Then you can compete as a pro status.

5. Should I be concerned about competition constume just yet? if you know your scoring then it will tell you how much your costume is worth.  In my comp im in, costume is only worth 5pts.  I would work on it when you have free time but dont put all your eggs in the costume basket.

6. How long do routines usually last? most are in the 3-5min range.  Most comps will tell you ahead of time how long your routine should be.

7. Aside from pole routines and tricks, should I be going to the gym for extra upper body workouts? I also hit the gym.  I do lots of upper body with weights, abs and cardio.  The gym has longer  hours than the pole studio so I want to make sure I am at least working out.

8. Any advice on vitamin supplements? I am taking a multi vitamin and CLA.  Its not needed but if you feel like you need to take it then go for it.

9. What do you bring with you to competition? I bring all my costumes, safety pins, double sided tape, energy drink, snack, touch up make up, ipod and headphones.  I have a stretch mix ready so I warm up before I go on.  I try to do my  hair and makeup before I get there so I can focus on stretching.

10. Does anyone have any competition stories? I have plenty, just not enough time to type them all.  I can tell you my first comp I did, I missed advancing by ONE POINT!  That hurt for a long time.  I eventually got over it.  I havent gotten a title under my belt just yet, but I keep trying.

FINALLY HAVE FUN!!!!  Dont stress yourself out if it doesnt go as planned.  Only you know if you fudged up your routine.

• glitterhips

November 2, 2011 at 8:48 am

I just did a regional comp and I got third so I think some of my methods must have worked! I’ll email you later today 🙂

• hevaletia

July 31, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I just made it to finals in a competition and would love to hear more of this!

• MarinaDancin

August 6, 2012 at 10:25 pm

1. Should I revamp my diet? More protein? Lean out? More vitamins?

i'd make sure you are not starving and your body gets anough nutrition.

2. How many months should I give myself to prepare a routine?

at least couple months. if you brand new to pole than at least 4 months

4. If you win a competition, what's next? What is the road to a Pro Poler?

you can start teaching and perfoming

5. Should I be concerned about competition constume just yet?

its my favorite part putting together costume, whenever you feel ready

6. How long do routines usually last? 

one song. in competition rules they should tell you what are requirements for music

7. Aside from pole routines and tricks, should I be going to the gym for extra upper body workouts? 

yes. cross training very beneficial

8. Any advice on vitamin supplements?

i am taking Organic Life Vitamins Organic Liquid Vitamins Organic Vitamins and fish oil

9. What do you bring with you to competition?

snacks, drinks, warm up clothes, grip aid,  spare cd with your music.

10. Does anyone have any competition stories?

when i went to my first at age of 31, all i cared is not to ambarrass my self and just get an experience. my moves weren't that difficault so my  focus was on a clean execution. for my third competition i am going to try win something.