StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions USPDF Championship results!!!!

• verucablue

March 25, 2010 at 2:14 am

just thinking that myself

• Journey

March 25, 2010 at 2:36 am

seriously. what’s the difference between amateur and pro again? https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_tongue.gif

Serious question?

It’s just status with USPDF, that’s all. In order to compete in the national competition you have to have "pro" status with them. Last year I believe they picked the original 12 pros just from the get-go because it was the first year. This year, the dancers that placed in the top 3 (I think) in the west and east coast regional competitions automatically got pro status (like Karol and Amber). And then whoever won the amateur competition won pro status so that they can compete in the national competition next year. It’s no actual reflection on the dancers’ talent – I mean, look at Becca Butcher! She’s just as good as any of the pro ladies but she’s not a "pro."

So, yeah, it’s just a status title that gives them permission to compete. Seems almost silly to me… don’t understand what the real point of it is, myself – seems like it’s an unnecessary extra step. If anyone knows feel free to enlighten me!

• allegra

March 25, 2010 at 3:04 am

Did anyone tape my show??

XOX

Allegra

• ottersocks

March 25, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Did anyone tape my show??

XOX

Allegra

Allegra, sweetie, yes, I did!! I am just swamped with work and haven’t had time to edit and post. I’m giving my memory card to Amber tonight and–since she’s now on spring break and has free time–she is going to do it for me. You were stunning! So hang on, it’s coming soon!
    xo
    Ellen

• GatorGirl4Life

March 25, 2010 at 8:35 pm

seriously. what’s the difference between amateur and pro again? https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_tongue.gif

Serious question?

It’s just status with USPDF, that’s all. In order to compete in the national competition you have to have "pro" status with them. Last year I believe they picked the original 12 pros just from the get-go because it was the first year. This year, the dancers that placed in the top 3 (I think) in the west and east coast regional competitions automatically got pro status (like Karol and Amber). And then whoever won the amateur competition won pro status so that they can compete in the national competition next year. It’s no actual reflection on the dancers’ talent – I mean, look at Becca Butcher! She’s just as good as any of the pro ladies but she’s not a "pro."

So, yeah, it’s just a status title that gives them permission to compete. Seems almost silly to me… don’t understand what the real point of it is, myself – seems like it’s an unnecessary extra step. If anyone knows feel free to enlighten me!

The FIRST competition last March awarded the top 5 that placed "Pro Status," not ALL 12. So from that comp, the top 5 were: Jenyne, Alethea, Sarah, Brynlynn and Denise Brown.

The East Coast Regional and West Coast Regional also picked their top 5 and awarded them Pro Status, everyone else is still considered Amateur. Pros from the East: Karol, Lauren, Takiela, Jessalynn, Gabrielle. West Coast: Amber, Leigh Ann, Estee, Zoraya, and Faith Daniels. This is why Kyra, Caterina and Mina were competing in the Amateur division, even though they had already competed in the East and West Coast Regionals.

That made a total of 15 Pro Status pole dancers, but only 12 were chosen to compete in the Pro Division this time (excluding Jenyne since she placed first last year and was not allowed to compete again). Everyone in the Pro Division (except Amber and Karol because they placed 1st) had to resubmit to be chosen to compete again last weekend.

From what I have read on facebook, it seems that Jessalyn placed 4th and Brynlynn placed 5th in the Pro Division Comp this year. Hopefully this clears up any confusion about pro/amateur status with USPDF….

• Journey

March 26, 2010 at 12:33 am

GatorGirl – thanks for clarifying! I knew I was probably off about how they got their "original" pros but I knew I was right about the rest of it for the most part… But thanks for correcting me! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_salut.gif

• Charley

March 26, 2010 at 12:39 am

I like the way that amateurs and pros both have to qualify. This keeps it competetive.
    Even the pros must continue to improve.

• Journey

March 26, 2010 at 3:38 am

Just FYI everyone: the videos of the amateur comp. have been taken down, too.

• SissyBuns

March 26, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Just FYI everyone: the videos of the amateur comp. have been taken down, too.

Damn it all to hell!!!!!

*shakes fist*

• Mary Ellyn

March 26, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I don’t understand the system well but one of my students was telling me that the USPDF seems to be modeled similarly to the body building competitions where you have to start by competing as an amateur and earn pro through that route??

With Wendy’s background in fitness and competitions it makes sense that they would model it after something like that.

• Fleur

March 26, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Hope (keiloces on youtube) got a pretty good video of my routine, you can see it here before it gets taken down https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZxujpu_xpc

• SandyBrown

March 26, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Yay for Brynlyn (one of my instructors) for making it into the Top 5 AGAIN! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif She was a little down on herself and didn’t think she had done well at all.

I wonder if USPDF will release a video of all of the performances. It was definitely being video taped by a film crew.

ETA: Nevermind. I juts noticed Journey’s response below:

Just as a general FYI:

USPDF does record the competition to give to the competitors – but they can’t sell DVDs to the general public because of the music rights. Maybe they’ll be able to do that someday, but that’s not the case right now

• amy

March 26, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Kyra mentioned yesterday that she is getting a copy but she isn’t allowed to distribute or post it anywhere.

• LittleC

March 26, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Hope’s (Keiloces) youtube channel also has Karol’s video – the first clip I have seen of her performance. Probably won’t be up for long – she did a great job!

And Fleur, I loved your reenactment of your routine but it was so gorgeous with all the lights in the performance video. Well done!

• Journey

March 27, 2010 at 12:25 am

Yay for Brynlyn (one of my instructors) for making it into the Top 5 AGAIN! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif She was a little down on herself and didn’t think she had done well at all.

I thought she was SO CUTE in the compulsory round – hers was the only one that stuck out in my mind from that round. But near the beginning of her optional round, I believe her hand slipped during a reverse grab? and you can tell it shook her up – she didn’t seem as confident or she was enjoying herself as much. She didn’t do badly, she appeared to nail the rest of her tricks, but you could see a slight difference after that. If I hadn’t seen how she was in the previous round, I wouldn’t have known the difference.

So relay the message that she was awesome and I enjoyed watching her – just about all the dancers slipped but the important thing is that she kept going. I personally would’ve broken down crying or something…

And Keiloces was smart and didn’t tag the videos… *sneaky look*
    I’m almost feeling guilty for not trying to record the show! I had a perfect view – very inside row on the right side balcony, so no heads in the way or anything. But I think an usher was chillin’ not too far from me… I’m going to have to brush up on my camera hiding skillz for next year, I guess https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_tongue.gif

Page 6 of 7