StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Weightlifting/Strength Training outside of pole/aerial

• Weightlifting/Strength Training outside of pole/aerial

Posted by NinaG85 on September 30, 2011 at 7:33 am

Anyone lift weights or strength train regularly outside of pole?  I'm curious as how often you train in addition to pole and what your workout routines look like.

Most times I follow lifting routines I find online, but currently I'm following the New Rules of Lifting for Women program.  I'm in the gym 2-3 times per week but thinking of cutting back to 1-2 times per week.

replied 12 years, 12 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Runemist34

September 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I do, but I only have a pair of 5lb weights at home- I hate going to the gym. I'm currently trying to alternate my pole days from my weight days. I get 3 pole days, 2 weight days. I also combine my weights with flexy training! And for now…I try to get it all done in about an hour, but I might increase that time. We'll see, 'cause it's a pretty new routine for me!

• Sair

September 30, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Heya!

I love lifting weights almost as much as I love pole 🙂

Currently doing 2-3 weight lifting sessions per week, broken down into two body parts per session.

Originally I was lifting 5lbs-8lbs but since starting on the pole a year ago, i'm lifting 15 lbs – 20 lbs weights. It's amazing how much poling with my own body weight has made me so much stronger! and certain exercises are SOSOSO beneficial to poling! ( Plie Squats, pull ups, tricep dips, chest presses)

My current week usually consists of 2-3 weight lift sessions + 2-3 pole classes. It sounds a lot heavier than it is 😉

I wouldn't cut down on your work outs if you enjoy where you're at with them, unless you find yourself really really fatigued 😉

Happy lifting / poling!

• CalBear

October 1, 2011 at 8:29 am

I kind of have the same question… I used to not do any upper body workouts at all because I do not want to get bulky at all. But now that I'm trying to get myself into more advanced moves (phoenix, iron x prep, some mounts), I feel like I have to lift weights in order to gain the strength to get into those moves. I was always anti-nautilus equipment.. but I think it's almost necessary in order to make it easier to get into the more advanced moves.. and for injury protection? Am I on the right track?

I've recently been doing nautius shoulder and chest presses..

• Runemist34

October 1, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Calbear, as far as I know, best way to get toned and not bulky is to do low weights and high reps, and make sure you stretch after!

• JeHanne

October 1, 2011 at 12:44 pm

This is just my personal experience and something that I use in my day to day routines. I strength train regularly using exercises that use my entire body weight. I like things I can do on my own time with little equipment (me). Sometimes I use my pole as a prop for these exercises but they are not dancing… they are moves specifically to build strength. 

My strength sessions last 15-25 minutes each. I alternate between upper body strength training and core strength training during the week to allow rest for the muscle goups. I need a good 48 hours of recovery for upper body. Upper body is once every 2-3 days and core is about 3 times a week. I get 5-6 strength sessions in a week depending on the week.

I like wiggle room in my plans so I alternate the basic exerises as long as I am hitting the muscle groups hard. Meaning one workout I may do holds and push ups… another workout I may do handstands and push ups. As long as its all that upper body area… it works for my plan. 

For upper body I do multiple variations of push ups, reverse pull ups, downward dog to plank (which overlaps into core), handstands and pole holds at different angles. I am doing a lot of push ups right now… I like how they work so many muscles. It also makes me feel 'tuff'. LOL.

For core I do planks, yoga plow and lower abdominal exercises I can do while laying on floor. Sometimes hold onto pole and pull lower body up. 

I do a lot of flexibility training about 6 days a week. That is not weightlifting/strength but it does have some strenghtening qualities. Like full backbends where you push your entire body up from the foor into backbend ends up working upper body. Due to my body's needs flexibility is my main focus and then shorter episodes of strength training.

As long as we find what works for us and do it consistently I feel we are really helping to improve our well being. Experiment and find what works for you. That's what its all about!

: ) 

• NinaG85

October 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Wow!  Thanks for all of your feedback!  I'm a "heavy lifter" and do a full body routine every time I go to the gym.

Roamy, I don't think I could keep up with you!  That sounds intense!

Runemist, alternating may be a good idea.  Sometimes I lift in the morning and go to pole at night – so its like 2-a-days, which may be too much for my body.

Sair, I love weightlifting just as much as pole too!  The reason I'm thinking of cutting back is because I don't want to overdo it.  Right now I think I have a pinched nerve in my upper back which may be b/c I sit so much at work or because I do so much lifting. 

JeHanne, your routine looks very interesting.  I like the idea of short sessions and I want to do more bodyweight exercises so I'm less dependent on a gym.  I wish I had a pole at home too!  I am planning to get a pull up bar though.

oh and Calbear, don't worry about getting bulky, it takes a lot for women to get bulky.  Check out these women: http://bretcontreras.com/2011/06/where-my-ladies-at/