StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Well it finally happened….

• Well it finally happened….

Posted by Flexx10 on May 1, 2011 at 8:17 am

I own a small pole studio (in a small town) where we also offer fitness and yoga classes. From the minute we opened, we knew we needed a bigger space and we FINALLY found one 🙂 Yay!  Now I'm faced with a problem… I probably should have seen it coming, but I didn't, and I'm not quite sure how to deal with it… The business we will be relocating next to is nun-to-pleased that we are going to be neighbors!  Literally, 5 minutes after I looked at the location, the prospective neighboring business owner was calling me on the phone ~ He was very rude and demanded to know "excactly what it is we do", then he proceeded to tell me that he is now going to HAVE to move his business because he can't be located next to a business such as mine. I told him what we do…and that I'm sorry he feels that way… and he's more than welcome to come observe, or even take one of our classes, if he'd like. I was very polite and the phone call ended.

2 days later I'm talking with a freind of mine, who is a realtor in the area, and she told me that he called her and told her that "those pole girls are moving in" and we are forcing him to move!  He also told the owner of the building we will be renting that he would be forced to move if "those pole girls" were moving in… Then HE offered to rent out the space just to keep us from going in there. I understand the way some people feel about pole dancing, I don't agree with it, but I certainly understand it. 

What I'm having a hard time with is the fact that he's telling people that MY business is the reason he HAS to move.  As a business owner, I don't think it's right to go around being negative about other local businesses.  If he doesn't want to be located next to me, fine, I get it ~ But I'm certainly not MAKING him move!  Sooo…. Do I confront the guy or do I just let it go?  If you are wondering what the neighboring busines is…. It's a music/recording studio!  Certainly not the type of business I would expect to have a problem with a pole dance studio!  My friend thinks I should just keep my mouth shut… She's not too fond of the pole dancing aspect of my business either.

JBStarryEyedGirl replied 13 years, 4 months ago 10 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • vamp79

May 1, 2011 at 8:49 am

I would just ignore it. Normally people just get used to it after a while. The studio that I attend got a lot of attention when it first opened and now its just another business in the area.

• JeHanne

May 1, 2011 at 10:04 am

Be proud of the services you offer and your professionalism. This person clearly has some deep rooted biases that you should not take any ownership for. They may come around eventually… they may move… it is up to them. 

Congrats on finding a new space that better meets your needs!

• Runemist34

May 1, 2011 at 10:48 am

I agree with the other two, you've got some amazing profesionalism going on, you were polite, and at least you can bridge the gap a little bit and understand where he's coming from, even if he cannot.

If he makes serious trouble for you, such as taking this space so that you can't, or tries anything else, I would start to make a bit of a problem for him; I'm sure you can always talk to the building owner, and various others, about some possible harrassment (if he does, indeed, harrass you).

Otherwise, let the guy do his thing. He'll simmer down, hopefully, or he'll move away. There isn't much you can do to change his mind, I'm guessing, so I wouldn't expend the energy. Though, I know how frustrating it can be! 😉

I wish you lots of luck in your new studio! I hope business booms for you, and everything works out great!

• chemgoddess1

May 1, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I am sure that with having a business you ahve a lawyer.  Have him/her draft a nice letter stating that wht he is doing is harassment and also defamation to your business and he is to cease and desist lest he face a lawsuit.  That should shut him up.

• PJ Piglet Poles

May 2, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I agree with Chem…He's a bully, push back with a lawyer.

• MsBKitty

May 2, 2011 at 11:24 pm

One thing that i have learned in being apart of this amazing community is that we are picked and pushed on every step of the way. But this is what makes us great people and amazing women! Stand Strong! If he has a problem with you moving in, then that is his problem not yours, you should not feel guilty or feel as if you owe him any type of an explanation.  Accept that he is a negative person, and let it go! Dance and be free in your new rocking studio and hopefully your speakers are better than his!!!!!!!

• Runemist34

May 3, 2011 at 12:27 am

Now there's an idea. MsBKitty has it right.

Big speakers. REALLY big speakers. Drown him out, shake your thang, and get lots of other ladies to do it, too!

• Flexx10

May 3, 2011 at 7:12 am

Thank you all soooo much!!! I was really feeling like I owed this guy some type of explaination or something….. I'm done explaining myself to him!!!  Yesterday the owners of his building came over to my existing studio and had a little chat with me…. Enough is enough already!!!!  They proceeded to tell me that they were concerned because they may lose a renter now!  How is that MY problem????  I am soooo done with these people!  I hadn't thought of playing the attorney card, but I'm sure going to!!! 

Part of the reason I'm so upset is because my business is very good to the community ~ We are always donating to the school fundraisers, the outreach center, local churches, and so on… So I really don't feel like we should be treated like this.  I know he is just one person, but in a small town it doesn't take much!

O well ~ I'm moving in so they'd better just get used to it!  It's worth the headache for the 2500 square feet of space and 14 foot ceilings! Yay 🙂  So… now it's time to go and buy some REALLY big speakers!!!!!

Thanks Ladies!!!! xoxox 

• stoneycook

May 3, 2011 at 9:05 am

@https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/bcb31460-d89d-11df-ab19-12313b090e12  Then again maybe the universe is telling you that this is not the best location and a far better studio will appear in your near future.

• dustbunny

May 3, 2011 at 9:44 am

I don't know where you are located, but around here (Canada) we have an organization called BBB (better business bureau).  They help out businesses and consumers by attempting to solve problems and "rating" businesses.  For example, you can check out a business to see if they are trustworthy before you send them money for a product/service or even before you decide if you want to work for someone. 

I'm not generally a big fan of being a "tattle-tale" but an organization like that may have some insight or ideas for you. 

What he is doing is harrasment/defamation/libel/slander, and is illegal.  Def get your lawyer to send him a letter.  AND GET BIG SPEAKERS, LOL!!! 🙂

• Flexx10

May 3, 2011 at 12:39 pm

@stoney ~ I thought about that, but it took me a year to find this space and it instantly felt right ~ I can't explain it, it just did ~ And still does, even through all of this!  I feel that once we get in there, he'll change his tune and see that we are no "threat" to him ~ Or he'll just move! 

As of today, he is more focused on my landlord than he is me ~ Good for me, bad for him!  I know it's not the last I've heard of him, but now I'm better prepared to handle the next confrontation ~ Thanks to all of you!!!

@dustbunny ~ We have a BBB as well. I'll look into that as well ~ Thanks 🙂

Over the last couple of days, I wondered if maybe this wasn't the right town for a business like mine, but then (just this morning) I got an email from a lady who's 3-year-old son was diagnosed by his doc with "low abdominal muscle tone" ~ and she asked if we could work with him and give him some excercises that will help him gain some strength.  There is a gym in town (right down the street from us) that she could have contacted, but she chose the pole studio!  I think that says a lot about the way we run our business.  I've never met this woman or her son and can't wait to meet them tonight 🙂  This is why we do what we do and I'm no longer considering moving to another town!

• JBStarryEyedGirl

May 3, 2011 at 10:59 pm

@Flexx10 Just think of yourself as a pole pioneer! Don't let close minded bigots dictate your actions. All you can do is run a reputable, successful business and pay the rent on time. =)

Who knows, maybe if you kill your neighbor with kindness and a truce you could build a business relationship.

Maybe he has a prejudice against pole dancing, maybe you could talk and explain to him that you are justa normal gym.. with pole equipment, just like a ballet school barre, or a gymnastics gym uneven bars!

Or maybe the guy will decide to move and then you can expand your space in a few months! LOL.

Either way, don't let the guy get you down! Climb away up to the top of those 14ft ceilings and enjoy!