StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What does your MOTHER think about poledancing?

• Saphyre

September 24, 2012 at 6:08 pm

So, first let me say this isn't a "sympathy" post. I lost my Mom in 1999. I miss her terribly, but I tell you. She would LOVE, love, love that I'm doing this. She was always very supportive of my little endeavors. I stopped by my parent's house one day, totally decked out in leather because my husband and I were on the motorcyle. She took one look at me and said, "Oh! How cute!" I said Mom, I'm supposed to look badass. She said, "Sorry. I think you just look cute." Haha! I posted a video on Facebook (and here) back in July called "Just the Moves". On FB, I dedicated it to her because I recorded and posted it on her birthday. The rest of my family is supportive, proud, and amazed that I pole dance. I will be recording my September Challenge tomorrow. The song I chose is one that my Mom loved and I will be thinking of her as I dance. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• NaughtyLibrarian

September 24, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Posts like these really make me appreciate my family!  I never even thought about keeping pole a secret.  I posted all about my first class on facebook.  My mom thinks it's great.  She's really impressed with the things I can do and has told me several times how proud she is of me.  She's seen the positive changes in me since I started and she's really happy for me.  And my MIL!  She's crazy!  She brags about me all the time, to everyone.  She also makes some of my costumes and loves to casually drop into conversation "Oh yeah, I have to work on my DILs pole dancing costume tonight." just to see people's faces.  I am blessed.

• Sassypants

September 24, 2012 at 7:19 pm

A direct quote: "You should enjoy your hot young body while you can, as long as you're not doing anything infectious." 

• Lyme Lyte

September 24, 2012 at 8:04 pm

It took my mother a while to come around….never said anything.  Now she is accepting, making positive comments on my FB videos and telling me in person.

• Mitzy Blue

September 24, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I'm not sure I have a clear grasp of WHAT my mom thinks. she's very supportive and even allows my little sister to help. She's throwing a little bit of a make-up/pole party as well because she has told all her friends and all of them are interested. I personally think it would be something that she might have fun doing and she's condidered it but I think she's scared of being injured anymore (she's been through some bad injuries.) I think she's pretty ok with it to be honest- when I appoached it I pretty much approached it as an "Aerial dancing" package because I know she loves silks as much as I do and I consider my pole work to be training for my muscles to one day do silks (that and I REALLY enjoy poling). I think she's even more happy that I've found something to do to get me in shape that I enjoy; but then so am I in that respect!

• Sassypants

September 24, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I agree. My mom came to my level 1 performance where she watched me shake my ass a whole lot, and at the end she told me she was proud of me. I was like "…what?!" And she said that even though it was a little sexy, she was proud of me for finding something I enjoy doing, committing to it, following through, and paying for it by myself. Not letting inconveniences like the expense and time (its an hour and a half drive away) deter me from what I want to do. 

So overall I'd say I'm one of the lucky ones whose mom is supportive. She tells all her friends, and even her mother (My jaw hit the floor when she told me that… "GRANDMA knows??? Did she keel over then and there?! but grandma seems alright with it too) Although she also thinks "well not so much secret training for stripping, but now you have this… skill set to fall back on, and I just hope you don't, okay?" 😛 Ohhh, mom. <3

• byrdgrrl

September 25, 2012 at 12:03 am

@https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/4e1eed92-13c8-4147-8a17-0f240ac37250, 

This is a link to a post about a video of a one-armed pole dancer.  

https://www.studioveena.com/forums/view/500e785d-e3bc-49fb-8b19-4db50ac37250

Limitations are all in peoples' minds!

• Karencanclimb

September 25, 2012 at 8:12 am

The pole I have used to be my mother's! She has had surgery on her hands and an injury to her shoulder, otherwise she would be in class with me. 

I am lucky, she recognizes it for what it is – strenuous, challenging, rewarding, hard work all while wearing gorgeous shoes 🙂

• OzarkSiren

September 25, 2012 at 9:18 am

HeHe as I have posted before I am the Mom that thought she had to hide her Pole learning from her Adult kids. Turns out they are great with it. My Pole does not have to come down when they come home from college. I always ask do I need to take my Pole down if they are bringing friends home. So far the answer has been no. My Mother is long ago passed away but I know she would approve !!!

• AriFerrari

September 25, 2012 at 10:34 am

At first, my mom had her reservations. She still doesn't love the "sexy" aspects of pole. I made a mistake of taking her to what I thought would be a competition that turned out to be an amateur strip contest (boobies and all) that some girls I knew were in. Luckily, my mom is outgoing and we just kind of laughed it off. But it did leave a bad taste in her mouth about the "art" of it. I exposed her to less risque and more artistic pole stuff (Jenyne, etc.) She thinks that kind of pole is awesome. I've even taught her a few spins, but lost her at the idea of doing a "sexy pushup" (even though she still tried and rocked it!) She also worries if I post something "too sexy" online, but only because she worries about who will see it and about reprocussions. However, I think that's more of the mom in her than her dissing pole. Overall, she's supportive and encouraging when I show her new pole accomplishments.  I'm very lucky in the mom department!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• maurer rose

September 25, 2012 at 11:26 am

I haven't told anyone in my family. I expect if I told my mother, she'd initially be shocked and disgusted. Then with appropropriate re-education she could come to view pole fitness in relationship to gymnastics or aerial dance.

Actually, the main reason I still haven't told her is that both my parents, but especially my mother, are extremely cautious and adverse to risk. I think she would worry incessantly that I would fall on my head and kill or paralyze or seriously injure myself. She would probably lecture me even more about pole than she lectures me about my husband's motorcycle.

I wish I could have responded more positively, but the only positive thing is that my mother still doesn't know! All the same, I love her dearly and respect her in many other things.

• RoseMay

September 25, 2012 at 3:46 pm

My mum is usually the first one who sees a video of a new trick, enough said? https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• azblanco

September 25, 2012 at 6:16 pm

My mom loves the idea! She thinks anything fitness related is good.  She thinks pole dancing is beautiful! I have shown her tons and tons of videos! I love that she likes to watch them with me =) 

• themrsvw

September 26, 2012 at 10:02 am

My parent's wedding present to myself and my husband was an x-pole! 🙂 They knew I was going to buy one anyway, but it was also conveniently around when we got married. So yeah… they're both cool with it!

• PixiLouBell

September 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm

my mom isnt very open minded about it, she says i should apply for the circus. oh well lol i LOVE pole and i dont care what anyone thinks!

Page 3 of 5