StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What does your MOTHER think about poledancing?

• PixiLouBell

September 26, 2012 at 12:23 pm

my dad on the other hand, never looks down on me, he is my best friend 🙂

• azblanco

September 26, 2012 at 12:27 pm

And rixi I showed her a video of you once and she said, “that girl is Badass” lol 😉

• PixiLouBell

September 26, 2012 at 12:32 pm

haha azblanco!! ur mom sounds awesome

• Dakota Fox

September 26, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I'm happy to see that the majority of ladies have such supportive mamas!!!  My mother and I own a pole studio together, so I definitely feel lucky… my pole mama is my real mama too =)

• JhennD

September 26, 2012 at 3:17 pm

https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/4e999784-63b4-4de1-a312-6afd0ac37250 – I have told EVERY female about the sexy pushup. I refer to it as the "at home argument winner".

My mum knows. I'm pretty upfront with her after moving out of her house. We don't see eye to eye on many things of life, but we both understand I don't care if she does or not.

But she's always happy when I'm happy. So indirectly, happy I pole. 

When I had my pole up in the apartment I told her to grab it and walk around silly, sexy, whatever. "Do it a couple of times I'll leave the room." I showed her a couple of simple moves since I lacked space. I told her she's not allowed to leave to refreshen up till she did a squat around and whatever she wanted to do afterwards. She did. – I grew up with my mum telling me "you'll do it happy or sad, but you're doing it"  I fed her her own medicine. She was invited to do a intro class at the studio. But as usual "I want to lose x amount of weight and get into shape before…" (How did I lose my weight? Pole)

After gifts she knows I like money- who doesn't?!  I said now you can give me gift certificates to my studio or these clothing lines (pole clothes) which she does. More happy to give a gift than just money. I should have her buy my pole!!!

She was kinda scared I would be a stripper- but was reassured I would tell her if I did. "Why do you think I have 3 jobs? It's so I have a neutral image for my future I don't want to taint that, but I'm not embarrassed if I was a stripper I would be flattered along with posing in adult entertainment." Eye rolling.

Monster in law is 'unhappy' I pole. I once showed on a family camping trip the 'poling tree'  magic, 'look so skinny and no poison oak!!!' and invert! afterwards she had to put up a clothesline on that tree. And when boyfriend & I moved into his new house I brought over the too short for our ceiling pole and she growled (literally if was funny scary, because she's so 'decent') "F*ck No." I explained this wasn't going up, "oh good I was concerned" this is too short for any of the ceilings, so I'm giving it to a friend and in due time buying a more suitable one for the exercise pole room (in that growl) "Ahem what exercise room? That room I told (bf, her son) that was going to be a guest room. A pole will not go into this house, garage, anywhere. This is why you. are. bad. for him. You are, sorry Jennifer (I hate to be called my in trouble name and she's been corrected so many times and doesn't care) you just are no good and it's a shame you can't be an adult and let him move on." I smile as I learned this is war.

(Note bf and I have been living together for 9 yrs he doesn't like that I pole because he is afraid I will say in public 'I want to be a stripper' I think that his mom has sometime to do with that, I've assured him and teased him- a stripper with this body? He's scared I'll hurt myself, before poling I was the weakest person to walk this planet, my own admission)

• dustbunny

September 26, 2012 at 4:02 pm

My mom came over to my house for her first pole class today! 

We did pole walking, pirouettes, bodywaves, and a bunch of fun stuff.  I think she was scared when I suggested it, but she seemed to be having fun today. 🙂 

What I do with all my level 1 students after we learn some moves; is have them pick a song and we make up and film a routine to it.  I bet my dad will be impressed with at least 1 Christmas present this year! LOL

• Irmingard

September 26, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I'm sorry to hear about those with unsupportive moms. My mom was a bit skeptical at first but she has always been my biggest fan. I showed her Youtube videos of the more classic style dancers and she was impressed. I now send her mine when I make them. I even signed her up for a class so she could see what it was all about! She was so proud and telling me all about how she got her fireman. But she was humbled too when she couldn't climb to the top of the pole!

• reddesire

September 27, 2012 at 12:27 am

Luckly, my mom is almost just like me personality wise… she said she wishes she was in better health to do it herself. In fact I’ve had almost my entire family try to pull some tricks. Even my dad did a spin on it…. though he looked like he was holding on for dear life. Haha

• portableninja

September 27, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I've been poling for a year now, and I still haven't told my mom. It sounds silly, but there's just never been a good time to tell her. The reason I hesitate is because my mom and I don't always have the best relationship. We love each other, but we've never really become "friends" as adults. We live about 2 hours apart, and when we talk on the phone, we always keep the conversations pretty simple. If she asked me what I do for exercise, I would tell her, but she never has! It's always felt a bit awkward to just say out of the blue "so… I pole dance!" My parents haven't been over to visit since I got a pole at home a few months ago, so whenever that happens, that will be when I tell her.

I haven't told my mother in law either, but that's more because she is pretty conservative and thinks stripping is immoral. I think there is still a perception that having a pole in your house means that's it's a sex toy, not that it's a piece of fitness equipment that you and your man both use! She hasn't been to our place either, but if/when she does, I'll gladly show her what I can do. She's an Oprah fan, so maybe she'd be more receptive to it than I think!

I'm actually going to the USPDF comp this weekend. Maybe this is a good opportunity to share my hobby with them? I can mention what my weekend plans are, show her some videos of the pros, and mention that I've been doing it too?

• Aviva

September 27, 2012 at 4:13 pm

She's glad I'm not stripping anymore.  She also said she thought it (stripping) might have been the only way to get to where I am with fitness and skill level b/c she knows how closed minded I was about it until about 6 months before I became a stripper.  She very proudly shows people the video of the showcase I was in that I invited her and my father to and they showed up for.  It's a vehicle, get's you to happy https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• suigintou

September 28, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Hmmm…my mom is very supportive and encouranging about it.  LIke when I show her vidoes of awesome polers and say I wish I could be like that, she says I will with practise .  Or when I don't want to tell people at stores what I'm buying uber short shorts or hand anti-perspirants for because I'm shy, she actually says, "So?  Who cares if they know you pole dance.  It's just exercise."  She's so awesome!

In terms of poling herself…I think she's too shy and conscientious to try it herself…or she'll say she's too old to be hopping and flying around like that, lol.

• harmrae6942

September 28, 2012 at 11:44 pm

My mother would just die! We havent spoken in 3 years beacuse I dont go to church – could you imagine if she knew I had A POLE in my home? Lord have mercy 😉 

• PatSmack

September 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm

my moms reaction =   o_O

• WickedVixen

September 29, 2012 at 7:24 pm

My mom loves to pretend it’s scandalous, but she’s 100% supportive and wants to try it herself one of these days. I got her on a trapeze last year, so I’m hopeful I can get her on the pole as well! 😀

• AliciaPolerina

September 29, 2012 at 9:51 pm

My mom loves it! She comes to all my shows and competitions and even took my pole class! She even shows all her fellow ballroom dancers my pole videos 🙂 (oh yea, and let me put a pole in the middle of the living room!)

Page 4 of 5