StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What would you like to learn besides pole moves?

• What would you like to learn besides pole moves?

Posted by meaganoff on January 4, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Hey guys– a little informal survey for a project I am working on.

I feel like I want to be involved in the pole community and teaching, and making the world a better place for polers, etc. But I don't know that I want to become a traditional pole instructor.

I keep thinking about the fact that I have a Theatre Degree with specialization in Physical Theatre, have worked as a dialect coach before, and a character movement coach once. I think there is some crossover with theatricality and stage presence and the pole world, and I am thinking of developing some classes based on that.

So my questions to you are:

What do you see in your favorite pole performers that you would like to emulate besides their amazing tricks / athleticism?

What would you like to learn besides pole tricks?

What do you think would be a good supplement to traditional pole fitness classes?

My list of what I see in my favorite performers, and what I love to do on stage w/acting and dance and would like to translate to pole, is as follows so far:

– Confidence
    includes but is not limited to: stage presence, audience connection
    – Character
    includes but is not limited to: character style, i.e., comedic / sexy / dramatic, musical connection, story arc of routine
    – Control
    includes but is not limited to: body awareness, completing / fully extending dance moves, use of strength and flexibility
    – Transitions / Flow
    includes but is not limited to: choreography that fits you, smooth and unique transitions, floor-to-pole work

I also have exotic dance and burlesque training / background as well, wouldn't mind rolling that into there as well…somehow…

Just to clarify this is a long term thing… as in something I formulate and work on over the next two years… I am just brainstorming and getting ideas right now, and making plans and notes. I would get a Group Fitness Certification before attempting to teach any of this. If it becomes really pole specific, I would get at least basic pole instructor certification as well…

In other words, this is sort of a pipe dream that I wanted to chat with other polers about and see if it could ever become a reality…. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

meaganoff replied 13 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

January 4, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Costume design, makeup and stage performance are 3 things I think are vital for any good performance.  Look at how Jenyne changes her look with every routine.  She also has a way of looking into the audience and making you feel that she is dancing just for you.  Feklix has that same eye contact.

Not only learning how to do the moves, but where specifically to start them to get the correct angle for the audience.

Covering up mistakes.

• polergirl

January 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Not only learning how to do the moves, but where specifically to start them to get the correct angle for the audience.

Oh Sweet Baby Jesus lyin' in your crib, this one!!!

• HollySatine

January 5, 2011 at 2:28 am

"Oh Sweet Baby Jesus lyin' in your crib, this one!!!"

hahaha polergirl!

i have an acting background as well and reflecting on that also made me think of a very basic thing that newer actors and dancers aren't always conscious of: fiddling with clothes/costume/hair during perfomance. i learned not to do this while acting pretty easily but i think most of us pole dancers have had problems at some point of costumes (especially skin-tight bottoms!) riding up, and it's so tempting to try to fix it while you're dancing!

also facial expressions, which i think chem was getting at with eye contact.  so many beginners plaster on a "sexy face" for the duration of the routine and don't really vary their expressions.  the professionals (take Felix Cane for example) engage you not only with their eyes but with their whole faces, and that is what makes the best dances seem like they're just for you.

• marle777

January 5, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I'm thinking Pantera is another great show performer with her crazy character and outfits sometimes too.

• Runemist34

January 5, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I've decided that trying to think myself a "stage performer" for pole isn't a very good idea…so, pole dancing is more for myself, than anything or anyone else. 

With that in mind, I would love to learn things like control, improve my strength enough to have control, and so that I can slow down. I'm working on that with my physiotherapy, but it's also one of those long-term things.

I love watching certain people do their thing, but i think Felix is one of my all time favourites. I also love watching our own Sapphirecatzeye, as well as Pantera, and several others. There's a certain energy and sensuality that they have when dancing. I've seen a lot of dancers to nearly the same thing, and I don't like them. So, it's something I can't entirely articulate properly.

As for an outside-the-pole fitness thing? I, personally, don't enjoy them. Running or going to the gym or lifting weights or whatever…it's all so boring! I'd rather just pole dance.

• meaganoff

January 5, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Thanks for the great ideas so far guys! I would love to hear more. 🙂